Jorge Masvidal vs. Stephen Thompson Official For UFC 217 MSG (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I hope he performs well and makes it an exciting fight, but Thompson is good at keeping people on the end of his kicks, which puts him out of range for Jorge's punches.

Without threatening with takedowns, Wonderboy is likely to pick him apart.

ADD: With that said, I think Jorge's durability and better grappling make for a more interesting title fight against Woodley, and he's also worked his ass off to get to this point. I hope he gets the win, just don't see how without takedowns or at least clinching to bring him in range/nullify Thonpsons striking game.

Straight kicks can be parried or swept aside, I assume Jorge has Wonderboy's front leg side kick to the body and hook kick to the head scouted and countered, like he did Cowboy's switch roundhouse to the body.

I think the grappling dimension is worth a mention here like you said, he has a clear advantage on the ground and a very capable takedown game of his own, which could be enough to make Wonderboy tentative like Woodley did.

Straight kicks can be parried or swept aside, I assume Jorge has Wonderboy's front leg side kick to the body and hook kick to the head scouted and countered, like he did Cowboy's switch roundhouse to the body.

I think the grappling dimension is worth a mention here like you said, he has a clear advantage on the ground and a very capable takedown game of his own, which could be enough to make Wonderboy tentative like Woodley did.

The problem is Jorge is nowhere near Woodleys grappling or Thompsons overall standup. The x-factor though, as you mentioned, is how Jorge makes Thompson think about takedowns. Jorge is going to have problems though due to Thompsons height as well.

He's got to get it to the ground first, and I hope he does. It'll at least give Thompson more of a sense of urgency.

I think wonderboy takes a close decision. The threat of the tds are not quite there so he will feel much more comfortable to keep mas at bay with the kicks. If he choses to box tho, he could get countered. I don't like those straight karate punches with 0 head movement against a solid boxer like masvidal. It's a close fight, might get boring ala rory if jorge can't close the distance (i think he'll have a hard time).

the brain says thompson, but i keep visualizing jorge overwhelming stephen with aggression and grit

Masvidal won that fight and got robbed. Getting kicked in the legs a few times =/= lit up.

What Jorge did to Iaquinta (robbed again though) and Cerrone = lighting up.

In fact he's underrated as fuck.

He also got an horrendous eye poke in the Larkin fight. He fought through it but I don't think it's possible it didn't influence the fight.

Don't sleep on Jorge, kids.

He's going to box Stephen up IMO.

Wow. It is going to look like people are tuning for GSP/MB, but this is the fight I am tuning for. Great card now!

The most exciting fight on what was already a nice card. Dope !

Good machup. Rooting for Masvidal, because no need to see Woodley-Thompson 3. There's a chance Masvidal can even copy Rory's gameplan and beat Woodley.

Really good fight, I will pick Masvidal by decision.

I'll be rooting for Masvidal so he can get a title shot. If WB wins it does nothing but eliminate a contender. WB used up his title shots for as long as Woodley is champ.

Love this fight, fan of both guys and how they fight. Think it'll definitely be exciting. Have to back Jorge to win this one. Probably by decision.

For some reason I have a feeling that they will both respect each other too much and this will look like Wonderboy vs. Rory. I'm not sure who will get the nod, though.

Some of them are BS though. He did a lot more damage to Maia than what Maia caused on him.

That's the only SD that Masvidal has accepted as a loss, as he should.

Thompson via something "spiny"
spinal?
hqdefault.jpg

I got Masvidal but it's a great fight. 2 of the best strikers in the division. Thompson the bigger guy and harder hitter and he's tough to hit but I've never seen Masvidal outclassed on the feet and I think that's where this fight is going to be. Close as a 50/50 fight I've heard announced in a while.

He's been outclassed numerous times on the feet. Last one to do it was Lorenz Larkin

Everyone is expecting Wonderboy to win...Easily.

I want to root for gamebred..He's been in this fight shit for a long time and coming off a badass win.

Back