No Homework rule at my kid's school

Hmmmm....I think I support homework, just not an excessive amount. I remember I took AP US History in 11th grade. EVERY FUCKING NIGHT we had to outline literally 50 pages of the textbook. That shit took up all my after school time. I usually ended up going to bed at 1-2 am doing that shit plus homework for other classes. It was bullshit and not worth it. Should have just taken the regular, non-AP class.

Hmmmm....I think I support homework, just not an excessive amount. I remember I took AP US History in 11th grade. EVERY FUCKING NIGHT we had to outline literally 50 pages of the textbook. That shit took up all my after school time. I usually ended up going to bed at 1-2 am doing that shit plus homework for other classes. It was bullshit and not worth it. Should have just taken the regular, non-AP class.

What's AP?

Guessing most here don't really know what they're talking about, and only remember HS and junior high. Elementary homework is minimal, 10 minutes per grade as mentioned. Doing away with it isn't going to help anything. Some kids don't need it, but some do.

Way too many people assume all learning comes from the teacher, but the parents play an equal role. Every single kid I know of that does poorly in my kids' schools also has loser parents. Not one exception.

i was an outstanding student. honor society and i'm not bragging.
homework is good to see where students are.
some teachers are really bad and rely on homework doing their work.
that is where the problem lies.

I think certain subjects must absolutely have homework, such as arithmetic, English or a second language for example. For the three you have to practise them to remain proficient and continue to improve.

A child in grade six-eight is not going to remember a theorem the next day if they don't at least spend 30+ minutes practicing it and at least put in a good 30+ minutes of reading at or above their level a day.

Other subjective, make believe subjects such religion, psychology or those that are practical such as shop or acquatics don't require any homework.

Sure, but it'd be nice if they can organize extracurricular activities for the duration that would normally be spending on homework.

I have wondered for a while if kids should be able to get credit for extra-curricular activities.

Many schools are requiring students to complete a certain amount of hours of community service before they can graduate. Since this volunteer work must be done outside of the school day, it places "credit" on an extra-curricular activity.

Why can't schools take it a step further?

Involved in a community play? Earn a "fine arts" credit.

Earned a black belt in judo/BJJ/TKD, etc.? Earn a "physical education" credit.

You want to learn Mandarin Chinese, but your school only offers Spanish and French, take a weekend course at a local community college...then get that "foreign language" credit you need to graduate.

My twins in 4th grade have about 15-30 minutes of homework per day. And sometimes no homework.

Seems perfect to me

It's good to develop routines for kids and having zero homework early on might make it hard when they get hit with it in middle school.

How old?

I think homework is a necessary. Besides house chores, what other tasks are they going to get to help them learn responsibility and time management?
And at some point, there WILL be homework. Whether it be in high school or university, might as well get used to it now.
Just don't make it complete bullshit work, and don't have it take 4 hours.
Such bullshit. When I leave work I rarely do shit for work outside of work. When I'm home I'm generally home doing what the fuck I want. Occasionally I'll be stuck doing some paperwork for work but it doesn't consume me. I'll do what I have to do then put it away. Fuck bringing home work.

you know, i was going to say that it is ridiculous that kids don't get homework. on the other hand, one reason why i don't think it's a good idea, is that i think it's good to separate schooling from the rest of a child's life. when you give kids homework, they are kind of never able to leave the schooling behind. kids already see homework as a burden, and they will begin to resent learning if they are never able to step away from it to regroup mentally. my personal opinion, anyway.

Depends on the teaching method... if you teach for half the class and then do work for the other half then I think there's no need for homework. But if you're teaching for the entire period then you've got to have some kind of homework to practice the material.

What ages?

Under 12, no need.

Over 12, at least some and gradually get more till you finish.

But really what they need to teach is how to study / learn by yourself. We had a study skills course at my school sounded helpful but was useless.

Such bullshit. When I leave work I rarely do shit for work outside of work. When I'm home I'm generally home doing what the fuck I want. Occasionally I'll be stuck doing some paperwork for work but it doesn't consume me. I'll do what I have to do then put it away. Fuck bringing home work.

I never did home work while at school but since finishing i have completed 2 different diplomas and a masters all while working full time.

I kinda realised being busy is just based on what you are used to.

It's not unusual. My daughter is in 4th grade and her teacher already told her there will be no homework this year. There could be a lot of reasons.

Work and school aren't the same thing.
School is what you do to get a good job. You don't necessarily need to work at home when you already have a job. Much of preparing for exams or studying a trade happen outside of class. Homework is unavoidable.
You're going to be getting it in HS and Uni, you might as well get used to it when you're young.

And yea, as I said, the HW shouldn't "consume" you. A kid should have some work, but nothing crazy.

Work and school aren't the same thing.
School is what you do to get a good job. You don't necessarily need to work at home when you already have a job. Much of preparing for exams or studying a trade happen outside of class. Homework is unavoidable.
You're going to be getting it in HS and Uni, you might as well get used to it when you're young.

And yea, as I said, the HW shouldn't "consume" you. A kid should have some work, but nothing crazy.

You're going to get STDs and eating disorders too but there's no need to give them to 8 year olds just so they can get used to it.

I'm sorry but for subjects like Math, and reading it's necessary. These kids will never learn how to do things without someone holding their hands. I do think it should be brief, but it's necessary.

As a parent that would suck for me. homework is a little break in the evening for parents from having to entertain their kids.

My son is 2 and my wife is 7 months pregnant with out daughter. Guess we'll see in about 5 years what will be in store for my kids.

Back