Gordon "my parents pay for everything so I can train full time" Ryan

Do they though? Doesn't he get like 20k for winning EBI, probably a few g's per superfight, travel expenses paid, plus what he makes on the seminar circuit? Plus sponsorship? And how many 22 year olds also live off their parents?

I know you're a troll account but still.

Considering he was the first American Jiu Jitsu Black Belt World Champion, and the guy who Freddie Roach said has the best boxing in MMA, his record is 16-12, I would concur with my original statement that he did not reach his potential.
considering he got his black belt in record time, won the mundials a few weeks later, won 2 major mma titles in two different weight classes, went up to fight as high as heavyweight while being a natural lightweight or even featherweight... i think you're setting a bit unrealistic goals for him. what do you think his potential was? win a title in every weightclass from lw to hw without losing a round?

i'm struggling to think of anyone who has achieved more in bjj and mma.

OP is on a trolling spree lately, but I'll answer anyway :).

What does it change to you if a relatively infinitesimal portion of people wants to be Bjj/grappling pros? If it's their dream to the point they'll sacrifice all this time and health, good thing for them, life is short and if you have a dream to pursuit to this ends maybe from your perspective you are not this worse than the guy who have the same, stable job he hates all life long..

If they are asking money to their parents, well it's up to them. If they'll end up homeless, always on them. I doubt your taxes will gonna suffer much from Bjj clochards!

considering he got his black belt in record time, won the mundials a few weeks later, won 2 major mma titles in two different weight classes, went up to fight as high as heavyweight while being a natural lightweight or even featherweight... i think you're setting a bit unrealistic goals for him. what do you think his potential was? win a title in every weightclass from lw to hw without losing a round?

The guys nickname was literally "the prodigy", it was his decision to be a MMA fighter and not a Jiu Jitsu player, for all of the talent he had, he was most certainly a disappointment. He himself would admit, that he only would train three days a week for a fight. For all of the talent he had, he could have been another Jon Jones. His achievement of becoming a Black Belt World Champion in 3 years was unprecedented, but he then left Jiu Jitsu to focus on MMA, he was expected to have a much better career than he actually did, and many think it was due to a lack of work ethic.

The guys nickname was literally "the prodigy", it was his decision to be a MMA fighter and not a Jiu Jitsu player, for all of the talent he had, he was most certainly a disappointment. He himself would admit, that he only would train three days a week for a fight. For all of the talent he had, he could have been another Jon Jones. His achievement of becoming of become a Black Belt World Champion in 3 years was unprecedented, but he then left Jiu Jitsu to focus on MMA, he was expected to have a much better career than he actually did, and many think it was due to a lack of work ethic.
dude won 2 major titles in two weight divisions. he was the second man in history of the sport to do it.

i know what you're saying regarding his lack of focus, but saying he should've had a much better career than he did is stupid. he set all kinds of records and separated himself from the rest of the world by a fucking mile. again, name anyone else who won the mundials at blackbelt after 4 years of training, then went on to win the lightweight and welterweight ufc titles. people think his mediocre record means he had a mediocre career... he didn't. he had a spectacular career, both in mma and bjj. you just have to look a bit deeper than 16-12.

dude won 2 major titles in two weight divisions. he was the second man in history of the sport to do it.

i know what you're saying regarding his lack of focus, but saying he should've had a much better career than he did is stupid. he set all kinds of records and separated himself from the rest of the world by a fucking mile. again, name anyone else who won the mundials at blackbelt after 4 years of training, then went on to win the lightweight and welterweight ufc titles. people think his mediocre record means he had a mediocre career... he didn't. he had a spectacular career, both in mma and bjj. you just have to look a bit deeper than 16-12.

I am not disputing his Jiu Jitsu accomplishments, or the fact that he won two major titles. Penn accomplished a lot, and I never said he didn't. My point is, for all of the talent that he had, he could have been an all time great. Although he did come close he missed the mark, and I think this was due to a lack of work ethic, which may or may not have been attributed to the fact that he lived a very charmed life.

How many of these kids in their late teens and early 20s that are training in expensive areas of the country (California, NY, etc.) at the most expensive BJJ gyms are able to financially support themselves? I'd bet very few if any. The only way I could see it happening is if the BJJ gym didn't charge them the full monthly rate due to their status and name they make for the gym.

So why hate on the guy? He's not the only one.

I was going to say something similar. I'm in NYC and most of the people under 30 that train where I train are heavily supported by their parents.

I'm a little jealous that I have to work and they don't, but I'm happy for them.

100% true. Being a good martial arts school owner isn't so much about your credentials ( unless you're Mendes Brothers or Marcelo or of that caliber ) . It's about your business skills and like u said , people skills. If you wanna make money in martial arts schools , you gotta teach everybody ( not just killers ). Soccer moms , kids , professional types etc). You wont make your bills with just competition team ). You gotta have contract, preferably with a billing company. . Month to month just won't cut it , crept in rare occurrences . Gotta sell merchandise. Gotta have way to market your school (direct mail , flyers , community events , Facebook , lead boxes at other business ,,good web site .etc ). Gotta know about insurance , accounting , taxes ...thats the good thing about a strip mall McDojo that's part of a national or international organization . They can help you with all this stuff , especially when you're a new owner. You could be a terrible competitor but be s successful school owner if you are good at the above .
I dont do contracts, 100% month to month and am making decent profit teaching and running a school for only being open 5 months.

Billing companies aren't that expensive either. Marketing I do myself, no flyers etc. Mainly word of mouth and some fb/Google ad words. Takes about 3 months for Google Seo to work but have that funnel rolling in.

Insurance shit is easy and cheap. Taxes are not hard you just get a tax guy and keep records in excel.

I think you over complicate some of this shit. It's not hard as long as you aren't a lazy Fuck or an idiot.

47609.jpg

Not getting recreational brain trauma. That's why I don't train MMA, at least.

you have a point there. But they can water down the rules like only light open handed taps to head, and for stand up, no strikes to the head. That will still develop better self defense technique than no strikes at all.

You cant accomplish extraordinary things with ordinary measures. Its no ones god damn business how much money a parent puts into sports for their offspring.

How many of these kids in their late teens and early 20s that are training in expensive areas of the country (California, NY, etc.) at the most expensive BJJ gyms are able to financially support themselves? I'd bet very few if any. The only way I could see it happening is if the BJJ gym didn't charge them the full monthly rate due to their status and name they make for the gym.

So why hate on the guy? He's not the only one.
There are a significant amount of guys training for free or heavily discounted due to working the front desk or cleaning or starting when they were like eight years old.

If TS had his training paid for, had the will to train as often as Ryan, eat appropriately, rest appropriately, and didn't get injured along the way, he'd still get crushed in the opening round of the trials.

Look guys, I loathe Ryan, but of all possible criticisms this has to be one of the sillier ones.

Pretty sure this quote was from before he won his first EBI. Something tells me he doesn't need their support anymore. And if they still choose to do it, good for them. I mean, it's paying off. The kid is doing well for himself.

I dont do contracts, 100% month to month and am making decent profit teaching and running a school for only being open 5 months.

Billing companies aren't that expensive either. Marketing I do myself, no flyers etc. Mainly word of mouth and some fb/Google ad words. Takes about 3 months for Google Seo to work but have that funnel rolling in.

Insurance shit is easy and cheap. Taxes are not hard you just get a tax guy and keep records in excel.

I think you over complicate some of this shit. It's not hard as long as you aren't a lazy Fuck or an idiot.
I was program manager at a martial arts school . I've been to business seminars with some of the top guys in the industry . They ALL have contracts . I'm glad you are doing " decent" . You may want to go Beyond decent someday . Or not . The way I was taught to sell was contracts first being offered to potential student ,( 3 year program ) , then 1 year then offer 6 months , then if they balk offer a 3 week trial course , then finally month to month , which was the most expensive for the student in the long run . 3 year and year contract saved student a lot of money . . My instructor had 300 students with a few people on payroll ( like me ).
The philosophy is you don't let them leave the school without getting something out of it . I didn't even pressure sell .it usually sold itself . 5 months ? I wouid expect you to do decent after 5 months . Let's talk in 5 years cause I'm telling you , if you want some security in the biz , everybody in the industry has them . Doesn't mean it's all they offer , but they def have them. My two cents . But what do I know ? Right ?
Wish you well and you are right , it's not rocket science , but as u expand and grow ( if you do ) you will find it will get more difficult to run. It's a good problem to have though , cause it means you're growing . Unless you're content on having a small student base of quality students ( some are ). But there's nothing wrong with making a really great living at something you love .

Last edited:
I was program manager at a martial arts school . I've been to business seminars with some of the top guys in the industry . They ALL have contracts . I'm glad you are doing " decent" . You may want to go Beyond decent someday . Or not . The way I was taught to sell was contracts first being offered to potential student ,( 3 year program ) , then 1 year then offer 6 months , then if they balk offer a 3 week trial course , then finally month to month , which was the most expensive for the student in the long run . 3 year and year contract saved student a lot of money . . My instructor had 300 students with a few people on payroll ( like me ).
The philosophy is you don't let them leave the school without getting something out of it . I didn't even pressure sell .it usually sold itself . 5 months ? I wouid expect you to do decent after 5 months . Let's talk in 5 years cause I'm telling you , if you want some security in the biz , everybody in the industry has them . Doesn't mean it's all they offer , but they def have them. My two cents . But what do I know ? Right ?
Wish you well and you are right , it's not rocket science , but as u expand and grow ( if you do ) you will find it will get more difficult to run. It's a good problem to have though , cause it means you're growing . Unless you're content on having a small student base of quality students ( some are ). But there's nothing wrong with making a really great living at something you love .
I understand the contracts but it goes against what I hated most at my last school which was the high pressure to do a long term contract. I signed up and contract ran out then every 12 months it was this awkward business dealing with the owner and his father. They are socially awkward people and 2 years in he jumped 100% no board the Lloyd Irvin train and it became more about the money than anything. His long term retention rate is SHIT but his marketing and white/blue belt rate is awesome. But open for 9 years and most higher ranks have left .... something is wrong.

So my entire anti contract stance is based on that. If I had a contract with students (I started out with them) and they said they wanted to leave because "i want to train elsewhere" or "bjj is not for me" then I would let them out. Don't want to charge an ETF for someone who doesn't want to train. Flat out I can do this BECAUSE it's my side gig though, I get it. I'm a terrible businessman in that sense and I won't let people even sign up their first 3 classes. I tell them come back for your second week before I will take a payment. Some say get someone to sign up right away/first night but I don't and I've got a very high retention rate/close rate. If they come in the door I've closed 90% of people.

I know I'm going against the grain with my philosophy but it's built a terrific culture so far and my students love it/appreciate the way I run things because they never felt pressure and how laid back I am with it. I want people to be there and my referral rate is very high because of it in a very saturated market like DFW.

Ultimately it comes down to my 2 main rules

1) Don't be an asshole
2) Over deliver on your product

That's done well but I'm still new to the game, but growing at decent rate and running out of room already. I understand what the top guys do, I know Lloyd Marketing, I know the Paul Halme/Alan Belcher models and I get it. But What I want to do personally is different and I truly believe in my vision and the way I'm doing it. I might pass up some dollars short term, but I'm focusing 100% on the long game and having people who want to be there because they love my product me/not because of some contract or sales strategy. Just my side of the coin.

Nate, your side of the coin could be construed as implying people trying to make a living are doing something unscrupulous.

Nate, your side of the coin could be construed as implying people trying to make a living are doing something unscrupulous.
I'm not saying that at all, people can do what they want. I am confident in my product at the price point that I'm at. If someone wants to go to XYZ gym and get their product there and sign a contract, that' up to them. I offer Cash pay discounts if you want to pay 6 months or a year prepaid, which is similar to a contract that most people do.

I personally wanted to take something I HATED at my school out of my program which was contracts with termination fee's. So I did it and the response I got was very favorable from every person I've talked to. People can do what they want, that's FINE. But when someone says you HAVE to do something (contracts) to be successful I simply disagree. Just because it's the blueprint for most doesn't mean it's mandatory for all. Just like you ALWAYS have to keep both arms in or both arms out. It's a RULE...except for situations that it isn't is all I'm saying. I am not the all knowing martial arts guru school runner. I just know business (financial analyst/product/strategy guy) and how I want to run my school based on my personal ethos. That's it.

If you like a contract for 12/24/36 months at your school, good for you. That's fine, I really get it. I understand the security/cashflow aspect. Just not for me.

Back