What are your fondest memories of dial up internet?

I was pulling bitches on my webtv. That song was popular around the same time “hoooooooes, I got hoes... in different area codes”
That was my motto

I remember back then i had an mirc used for chatting. Lol. I feel old af

Up here without cable you never got more than a few channels, so cable, in general was adopted quicker here.

Which is really weird, considering our infrastructure issues (much land few people).

Last edited:
There is literally nothing that I fondly remember about dialup internet. With it taking over 5 minutes to get connected sometimes and would lose a connection in middle of surfing the web and slow loading webpages it was absolute garbage.

I had a modem that played the X Files tune as it was connecting.
I was King among Nerds for a time :)

I had a 300baud modem (the fastest supported at the time) that used to dial in to the University server. Allowed me to do my software engineering projects from home rather than sit in the filthy vt100/220 terminal rooms.

Also running PPP/SLIP to enable web browser access.

Using Webcrawler, and going on Excite chat was one of my first memories. Had my first and only email account with Hotmail back in 97, still use it to this day.

None of my memories of dial up are fond.

My first memory of dial up was using an acoustic coupler to connect to the university computer from one of the other buildings on campus. When my brother was a student, I'd go with him.
Here's one for you young'uns.
90988.jpg

So yeah, I'm old as fuck. But going there in the evening and being the only ones in the entire building, connecting to a much larger computer on your dumb terminal, was pretty cool as a teenager. You had great connection reliability too but it took a lot of patience to get started.

Multilinking two 56k modems, getting blazing downloads of 12 KB/sec, impressing my friends.

Well AIM of course.

Also downloading jams on Napster that took like an hour per track.

Playing counter strike with 250 ping.

Me and a friend having marathon games against 6 AI opponents in Warcraft II multiplayer

Callwave to prevent phone line from being permanently busy

Back