Woodley or GSP, who fought the better competition.

grapplejuice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Someone just posted a thread asking "who are you a stan (I mean... fan) of, Woodley or GSP"

ok.

That's fine if your'e voting for prom queen, but we're talking about evaluating FIGHTERS.

So, 2 part question:

Who has fought the better competition?

Who wins?

gsp beat shield

shield tooled woodley

Honestly...I kinda have to give it to GSP. Woodley, outside of winning decisions over Wonderboy has fought a lot of aged fighters and the other prime, up and comer he fought (Rory), he faltered.

For a 4-5 year span, GSP dominated any prime, top fighter at 170. It might have been boring most of the time, but he was doing what Mighty Mouse is doing now...in a division with actual talent (the UFC's best talent at the time).

Last edited:
What's better? A punch in the balls or kick in the face? Woodley or GSP? Both are boring as fk

GSP. Tyron has fought a lot of great opponents but Georges fought everybody at the top during his reign. Tyron isn’t there yet.

GSP and it's not even close wtf

1rlPc.gif

Everyone CALM DOWN.

TS is clearly drunk.

Its actually pretty close, I'll go with GSP

Your kidding with this thread, right?

GSP was King of the WW divison for years. He faced the better competition, when they were in their prime. Is a much more complete fighter. Can fight on the ground and has submissions. Never avoided anybody in the divison and faced who was in front of him.

Woodley has defended his belt three times, once a draw, the other two werd two of thd worst fightz ever. The guy broke the record for the least amount of strikes in a UFC fight.. Come on this has to be a troll

If Woodley loses his next fight people will forget him, if GSP loses he will remain the greatest WW of all time

In absolute terms, Woodley.

In legacy/time-relative terms, GSP.

Hughes is 1-dimensional compared to today's top welterweights and Penn is tiny compared to both today's welterweights and lightweights but they were the giants of their era.

Last edited:
GSP and tyron have faced quite a few of the same guys, but there were different circumstances underlying those fights

And beyond that GSP has most definately fought better comp....without a shadow of a doubt

They both fought koscheck, but George fought and beat prime Kos twice

They both fought Jay heiron, but once again GSP fought prime heiron

GSP beat shields...woodley didnt

GSP actually beat condit(who was on a five fight win streak btw)....not a fluke injury tko like Woodley while he was on a 1-2 fight record skid

Penn x2

Hughes x2

Fitch

Karo

Mayhem

Trigg

Hardy

Hendricks

Diaz

Prime Alves

Sherk

All in all GSP defeated 15 former or future major MMA promotion champs from the following organizations
*strikeforce
*WSOF
*ICON
*Rumble on the rock
*IFL
*cage warriors
* KOTC
*WFA
*eliteXC
*six UFC Champions

While his list of opponents win loss record stands at 500-192 (quick figures...might be wrong about a couple numbers)

I'm sure the big excuse will be that some of these guys were one dimensional, but thats ridiculous historical revisionism...woodley was fighting daly and galvao and you're telling me those guys are more well rounded than hughes, Karo or Fitch were back then? GTFO

Meanwhile Woodleys top wins

Past prime heiron

Past prime koscheck

Daly

40 year old maia(good win regardless of performance)

Wonderboy(good win regardless of performance)

Gastelum

Condit via injury win

Tarec

Stungun(good win)

Lawler(impressive)

Also to answer TS' s other question as to who would win in a fight

I got GSP athletic/explosive with the Jab to keep out out of the way of the big right
....and I definitely have faith he could take Woodley down

Last edited:

Hughes is 1-dimensional compared to today's top welterweights and Penn is tiny compared to both today's welterweights and weights but they were the giants of their era.

Ok the 2nd WW goat and the LW goat are cans to you... How about Shields Condit Diaz Kos Alves Hendricks Fitch? Let me guess... All cans?

I really dont mean to be rude here, but come on, really?

This is 1 question that has only 1 answer if you have watched their careers.

If you dont know that answer to that question, you have not watched their careers and do not understand fighting period.

Finally, an honest answer. GSP doesn't beat Lawlor or Maia, IMO.

Hughes is 1-dimensional compared to today's top welterweights and Penn is tiny compared to both today's welterweights and weights but they were the giants of their era.

Ok the 2nd WW goat and the LW goat are cans to you... How about Shields Condit Diaz Kos Alves Hendricks Fitch? Let me guess... All cans?

Kos? Do you remember what Woodley did to him? He lost to Shields but Shields is a tough go for anyone, he beat Condit, he would wrassle Diaz, he murdered Kos, Alves... meh, Hendricks beat GSP imo, Woodley beats even prime Fitch

I miscommunicated my point.

I'm saying that Hughes & Penn are the best wins you can have in relative terms (meaning relative to their era) but they're not as strong in today's landscape.

This still means that beating prime Hughes & Penn is the best thing you can do for your legacy though.

Which of these people you think beats Woodley? Or Maia, or Lawlor?

Penn x2

Hughes x2

Fitch

Karo

Mayhem

Trigg

Hardy

Hendricks

Diaz

Prime Alves

Sherk

All in all GSP defeated 15 former or future major MMA promotion champs(strikeforce, WSOF, ICON, ROTR,IFL, cage warriors, KOTC) which Also includes six UFC Champions

While his list of opponents win loss record stands at 500-192 (quick figures...might be wrong about a couple numbers)

I'm sure the big excuse will be, that some of these guys were one dimensional, but thats ridiculous historical revisionism...woodley was fighting daly and galvao and you're telling me those guys are more well rounded than hughes, Karo or Fitch were back then? GTFO

Back