Tax Cuts and Jobs Act

I saw some commentary on this but didn't see the numbers, thanks for sharing.

What a fucking dumpster fire. I do fear the unintended consequences of a large bill like this, especially ones that are obviously negative and maybe not obvious (like this one).

But most scientists are pesky with their climate change nonsense and are all liberals anyway, so fuck em!

I got my first master's, thanks to a tuition waiver and a stipend. No way I could have done it at the school I did if this were the case.

What a total fuck you to graduate education for anyone but the wealthy.

I got my first master's, thanks to a tuition waiver and a stipend. No way I could have done it at the school I did if this were the case.

What a total fuck you to graduate education for anyone but the wealthy.
Right, and folks like you tend to be the biggest contributors back to society.

If so, why the fuck would you think that? They want the tax cuts because their donors want them. They are only puppets for the people who finance them.

DONHHXQXcAUu1Rx.jpg

DONHHXVWAAEKYiH.jpg

DONHHW7WkAIp5sC.jpg

And BTW I'm just as tough on Democrats for this shit as well. If you actually want politicians to do something that benefits you you have to get money out of politics. Anyone who thinks these politicians aren't beholden to their corporate donors are choosing to stay willfully ignorant on how our political system works and how little age of these politicians actually give a damn about you.

Money OUT of politics now!

Last edited:
Also it's a double-edged sword because with the way our political system is set up, they have no choice but to be beholden to the people who finance their campaigns. Money in politics is the number one thing plaguing our political system right now and it's not even close.

Wow, its almost as if getting the lobbies out of Washington would be in the best interest of the people.

I think getting money out of politics is something both the left and right can agree on.... I hope

This is a serious question so my hope is someone can answer in honestly. If we do tax cuts for all wouldn’t it stand to reason that people with more money would be taxed less dollars but maybe not taxed less percentage wise? Another thread mentions a 4 dollar to 1 ratio for middle class but if the rich are already paying more taxes of course it’s going to hit them harder dollar wise but percentage wise they’re still paying more, and a lot more than Americans. Add in to the fact that the majority of these companies pay no taxes already is there anything closing loopholes? I see a lot of bluster from people but I haven’t seen much of any concrete statistics. Can someone answer some of these questions for me?

I think getting money out of politics is something both the left and right can agree on.... I hope
Not the politicians. Its one of the few things they seem to both mutually support, albeit not overtly. The last thing the majority of them want to stop getting the money that buys them the office.

And BTW I'm just as tough on Democrats for this shit as well.

Really? Are Democrats going to vote for these regressive tax cuts? Do they push for them in office? One would think that if your theory were true, getting support for regressive tax cuts or any other policy would be extremely easy--just donate to both sides. Crazy that no one has ever thought of that.

Regardless of who the tax cuts benefit you can't deny that the moral thing to do is to cut taxes for the upper class. Right now the upper class pays a disproportionate amount of taxes and suffer extreme tax inequality. It doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. When the top 20% pays 93% of taxes something is terribly wrong.

My family has usually benefited from Republican tac cuts which is why my family has often voted Republican.

But there's never been any confusion about the notion that democrats hoard the votes of certain demographics to generate a certain image, and republicans cut taxes to look a certain way to a certain demographic.

This is a serious question so my hope is someone can answer in honestly. If we do tax cuts for all wouldn’t it stand to reason that people with more money would be taxed less dollars but maybe not taxed less percentage wise?

Depends how we do the cuts. We could start with the lowest brackets and work up, which would benefit everyone but help middle-class workers disproportionately. We could cut payroll taxes, which would again disproportionately benefit the middle class. The current plan cuts some taxes and raises others. We could that combination in a way that disproportionately benefits the poor or middle class.

Add in to the fact that the majority of these companies pay no taxes already is there anything closing loopholes?

Not true that a majority of companies pay no taxes.

Really? Are Democrats going to vote for these regressive tax cuts? Do they push for them in office? One would think that if your theory were true, getting support for regressive tax cuts or any other policy would be extremely easy--just donate to both sides. Crazy that no one has ever thought of that.

How are you stupid enough to not understand what I meant there? You know why we decided not to import medicine from Canada? Because a bunch of Republicans and Democrats had big pharmaceutical companies in their pockets who didn't want lower-priced medicines in the country.

If you don't believe that money in politics, especially these contributions made to specific candidates is hurting our political system, then you just don't want to know. Meaning you actually don't care all that much.

The lengths you will go to defend loser Democrats is astonishing.

How are you stupid enough to not understand what I meant there? You know why we decided not to import medicine from Canada? Because a bunch of Republicans and Democrats had big pharmaceutical companies in their pockets who didn't want lower-priced medicines in the country.

If you don't believe that money in politics, especially these contributions made to specific candidates is hurting our political system, then you just don't want to know. Meaning you actually don't care all that much.

The lengths you will go to defend loser Democrats is astonishing.

You completely dodged the point. If money in politics were merely a matter of "give money to X, get X's support on issue Y," then we wouldn't see the pattern that we do in voting for regressive taxes (among other things). That's a fatal flaw to your theory, regardless of how mad it makes you.

Not unless your @Jack V Savage because he loves money in politics. It doesn't sway the minds of our politicians one way or another important to him.

It's funny thinking that any political party truly has your best interests at heart.

You completely dodged the point. If money in politics were merely a matter of "give money to X, get X's support on issue Y," then we wouldn't see the pattern that we do in voting for regressive taxes (among other things). That's a fatal flaw to your theory, regardless of how mad it makes you.

It's not fatal at all. Republicans and centrist Democrats will have no problem voting for this just like they had no problem voting in favor of the Bush tax cuts. I'm not mad either.

You're just a dope.

Regardless of who the tax cuts benefit you can't deny that the moral thing to do is to cut taxes for the upper class. Right now the upper class pays a disproportionate amount of taxes and suffer extreme tax inequality. It doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. When the top 20% pays 93% of taxes something is terribly wrong.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Not unless your @Jack V Savage because he loves money in politics. It doesn't sway the minds of our politicians one way or another important to him.

Campaign donations are made to help elect people you agree with; they don't change legislators' minds.

It's not fatal at all. Republicans and centrist Democrats will have no problem voting for this just like they had no problem voting in favor of the Bush tax cuts. I'm not mad either.

You're just a dope.

OK, so do you want to bet on how many Democrats will vote for the Trump tax proposal? I'll say zero, and you say what?

Are you actually implying that campaign contributions/kickbacks/etc dont strongly influence, and in many cases outright decide, the stance a politician will publically take on an issue.

Back