Is Jordan B Peterson's new website idea an atrocious one or reasonable one?

So it seems that he's not making any such website right now anyway. CBC, once again making the best possible use of our tax dollars, made that whole alarmist story based on a tweet where he floated the idea. Just great. I think a better idea for now might be if Peterson just comes out with some kind of tutorial for people to see what kind of buzzwords are used in these courses so you have an idea what they're really all about. And of course take a look at the reading list. Something like that I think would probably be a better idea than something that can be interpreted as a blacklist.

Btw my woman said that the panel was really good last night. There were no protesters, obviously because it was cold and the event was outside of the downtown core.

He should just talk about really as he has been, this should be enough to reverberate across populations in time allowing them to be better equipped to seeing something pernicious towards their education.

If he was truly intellectually honest he would simply answer about the resurrection: "That is still an open question for me... But I don't think that disqualifies me from identifying as a Christian."

But Peterson knows that if he was this honest, 99% of his Christian audience would immediately write him off as a non-Christian heretic and refuse to embrace him in the way they currently do.

It is Peterson's intellectual cowardice - while trading on the idea that he is the bravest of intellectual heroes - that I find the most damnable aspect of the man.

Isn't that what he says though?

Isn't that what he says though?

"I don't know" is a fair answer, one that says a lot, i.e. that he's open to the possibility of the spiritual. From what I've heard, some people seem to think he's not being honest; they think he's a traditional Christian and doesn't want to admit it. Anyway, I don't see this as a reason to dismiss him entirely.

I have no idea where you are going with this.

The vast majority of your 22K+ posts here say otherwise.

Don't be like Peterson. Own your religion with pride and without reservation.

It is Peterson's intellectual cowardice - while trading on the idea that he is the bravest of intellectual heroes - that I find the most damnable aspect of the man.

<JagsKiddingMe>

Intellectual Cowardice? Dr. Peterson is highly respected in his field and is putting his entire career and reputation on the line standing up to the hateful leftist bullies in academia and the media. Peterson is the furthest thing from a coward.

It's too bad he caters his answers to his audience.

Do you like people to approach topics with you in a binary fashion. Something with categorical conviction?

I share some of the frustrations wrt his vagueness about Christianity, but as a Christian, personally, if he was an atheist it wouldn't affect my perception of him because I don't primarily read him for his religious views.

Do you think the vagueness is just a feature of being a rational person but having faith at the same time? Sort of like the 2 things being hard to square leads to vagueness.

It reminds me a bit of a video I saw long ago of some Catholic scientist talking with Dawkins about something. The priest, or cardinal or whatever, as a man of science had a lot of trouble squaring his work with miracles that you have to believe to be a Christian.

I wouldn't mind reading the exchange.

IDL is usually a quality poster.

I have no intention of derailing the thread to such an extent. Or, playing along with the derailment attempt, more like.

Last edited:
<JagsKiddingMe>

Intellectual Cowardice? Dr. Peterson is highly respected in his field and is putting his entire career and reputation on the line standing up to the hateful leftist bullies in academia and the media. Peterson is the furthest thing from a coward.

Yes, nothing screams "professionally vulnerable" like academic tenure. lol

And nothing says "risking it all" like hauling in 70K a month on You Tube.

Exactly as I stated in the post you quoted, JP trades on this false notion from the paranoid alt-rightists that he is intellectually brave. You are just proving that observation true.

Who shit in your cheerios? You should calm down and try staying on topic.

Whoa... Didn't know there were people here who consider IDL like their little sister.

And by WR standards that post was not even close to being "off topic", relatively speaking. You doth protest too much.

Whoa... Didn't know there were people here who consider IDL like their little sister.

And by WR standards that post was not even close to being "off topic", relatively speaking. You doth protest too much.

You have got it wrong. I am the little sister and IDL is the big brother.

Angry-Little-Girl-Crushes-Can-With-All-Her-Might.gif

Do you like people to approach topics with you in a binary fashion. Something with categorical conviction?

I think there are plenty of contexts in which the answers "yes" or "no" can completely suffice.

I think JP needs to decide if he wants to identify as a theist or an agnostic and then stand on that decision regardless of who he is addressing on issues of faith and religion.

I did not actually watch the interview, but I read several reviews of his discussion with Sam Harris that indicated to me JP was just conveniently equivocating whenever necessary.

Do you think the vagueness is just a feature of being a rational person but having faith at the same time? Sort of like the 2 things being hard to square leads to vagueness.

It reminds me a bit of a video I saw long ago of some Catholic scientist talking with Dawkins about something. The priest, or cardinal or whatever, as a man of science had a lot of trouble squaring his work with miracles that you have to believe to be a Christian.

Given that Peterson was led by his convictions to step out into the line of fire, I give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he is being honest when he says he doesn't know, since he hasn't shown me that he is especially concerned with the consequences of being truthful. That said, he has also stated that he doesn't want to be pigeonholed, so I think that contributes to his vagueness, I just don't think it's enough to dismiss him, nor is it especially sinister.

Speaking of Dawkins, I know a lot of Christians who don't like him, mainly because of what he stands for. I think it's a mistake. You don't have to take him or leave him, you can appreciate some of what he says. I disagree with Dawkins on many things, but The Selfish Gene is great. He also presents some pretty good arguments (and some really bad ones) against religion. I see a lot of people treating Peterson in the same vein- they disagree with him on some point, say religion, and then they will throw out the baby with the bathwater. I think it's a mistake, and I've seen a lot of "boo Peterson" on here by people who sound just like Christians who don't like Dawkins.

Back