What do you think if "An eye for an eye?"

So if someone steals from me; i double my money?

So Muslims are more observant of the Christian bible than Christians ...

That is indeed, an incredibly stupid misunderstanding of the concept. If you kill someone, you get killed; that would be an application of eye for an eye. Murder is the crime in question, not "murder of someone's relative". If you break someone's nose under American law, for instance, you pay damages to him; your brother doesn't pay damages to his brother because you both have brothers, or something.
that's because American law is not an eye for an eye. i'm just going by what i was taught about it. i went to Catholic school, so maybe they exaggerated to give more credence to 'forgive your enemies.'

that's because American law is not an eye for an eye. i'm just going by what i was taught about it. i went to Catholic school, so maybe they exaggerated to give more credence to 'forgive your enemies.'

No, the fact that American law is not eye for an eye has nothing to do with that, because it doesn't work like that under eye for an eye either. I didn't go to a Catholic school, but I went to a Catholic church and sunday school, and I'm shocked that the Biblical commandment of "eye for an eye" was so grossly misrepresented to you.

To be absolutely clear, the Bible says, "Thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe", but it is the life or eye of the perpetrator, not one of the perpetrator's family members.

No, the fact that American law is not eye for an eye has nothing to do with that, because it doesn't work like that under eye for an eye either. I didn't go to a Catholic school, but I went to a Catholic church and sunday school, and I'm shocked that the Biblical commandment of "eye for an eye" was so grossly misrepresented to you.

To be absolutely clear, the Bible says, "Thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe", but it is the life or eye of the perpetrator, not one of the perpetrator's family members.
yeah i realize that now. i went on a google search for quotes about relatives being killed, no hits!

okay i found this @Beta Wolf https://maptia.com/stefanoschirato/stories/eye-for-an-eye

Northern Albania has an eye for an eye unwritten law. it involves being allowed to kill another person's family member if they killed one of yours.

That's somebody labeling an Albanian practice "eye for an eye", I think, though, because they're just using it as a synonym for "revenge".

"Eye for an eye" in its original usage, as found in Sumerian, Hebrew and later Arab cultures, referred to a very specific practice. For instance, you might receive a wound of the same depth in the same place on your body (and only the person who gave a wound could be wounded like this as punishment). That still exists as a rarely enforced law in some middle eastern countries.

It's the way stuff was done for thousands of years, and it was silly. It's one of the direct reasons Western Civilization has evolved into what it is, a system of objective laws and non retribution based punishment.

We have non-retribution-based punishment? When did they get rid of prisons?

We have non-retribution-based punishment? When did they get rid of prisons?

If you think prison is retribution based, you should look at some of the other modes of punishment around the world.

If you think prison is retribution based, you should look at some of the other modes of punishment around the world.

I didn't say "more retribution-based than all other modes of punishment around the world".

I don't agree. It's punitive. Criminals should be rehabilitated or removed; not punished.

I especially don't think that a state should be indulging sadism.

I don't necessarily agree with taking an "eye for an eye" but I do wish we had much, much stricter punishment for certain things.

For example- rape, murder, any child diddling stuff, robbery, government corruption. Those should all be death penalty, and the death penalty should be as soon as possible. Any shred of doubt and no deal but if they are caught red handed- shoot them that very day and be done with it.

Back