How is Tony Ferguson not a good matchup for Conor McGegor on paper ? Am I missing something

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Here are some facts:

- Conor's weaknesses are guys with elite wrestling(like Chad Mendes) or good boxing defense(Nate). Tony has neither

- Tony gets hit clean on the chin pretty much every fight, he is wild. Guys like Kevin Lee and Lando dropped him, I can see McGregor doing the same

- Conor has only gassed against Nate when he was at 167 lbs and against Floyd, but that was after 7-8 rounds(20+ minutes) and Conor was pretty much doing all the work, Floyd carried him. Tony Ferguson cannot afford to take 4 rounds off before Conor slows down

- Tony certainly is durable, but people were saying the same about Eddie Alvarez ... you have a chin until you don't

- Tony is not that much bigger, Holloway and Poirier are about his size and Conor didnt have much trouble.

They will only admit this after Tony has been knocked unconscious. That's the way it works.

As soon as McGregor dismantles and embarrasses Tony - “Tony always sucked, everyone knows that fight was a joke from the beginning. McDucker is still ducking Khabib.”

I'm on the fence with this fight, it's why i want to see it so much.

Conor could catch Tony and KO him.

If Conor doesn't clip him, Tony will come on heavy in the latter stages and most likely finish Conor.

Last edited:
He is because he is chinny but he is like diaz great cardio , bjj , and has a longer reach than conor who is a counter puncher so he may strughle with tony , one good thing for conor though is tony tends to leave his chin high .

I agree. Conor by tko.

Too bad that fight isn’t gonna happen.

Tony fans think he can take down Conor because mendes could but they forgot that mendes is one of the best wrestler in UFC

Here are some facts:

- Conor's weaknesses are guys with elite wrestling(like Chad Mendes) or good boxing defense(Nate). Tony has neither

- Tony gets hit clean on the chin pretty much every fight, he is wild. Guys like Kevin Lee and Lando dropped him, I can see McGregor doing the same

- Conor has only gassed against Nate when he was at 167 lbs and against Floyd, but that was after 7-8 rounds(20+ minutes) and Conor was pretty much doing all the work, Floyd carried him. Tony Ferguson cannot afford to take 4 rounds off before Conor slows down

- Tony certainly is durable, but people were saying the same about Eddie Alvarez ... you have a chin until you don't

- Tony is not that much bigger, Holloway and Poirier are about his size and Conor didnt have much trouble.
"
Ferguson was a three-sport athlete at Muskegon Catholic Central High School in football, baseball and wrestling. He was the starting defensive back for the 2002 state football champions and was a three-time All-State selection in wrestling, winning the 152 lbs division in 2002.

After high school, Ferguson enrolled at Central Michigan University before transferring to Grand Valley State University. He also did a stint at Muskegon Community College. He did not complete his degree but Ferguson had a successful collegiate wrestling career, winning the 2006 National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) national wrestling championship in the 165 lbs division.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ferguson

Also, it should go without saying, Tony is pretty damn good striking. See his fights vs RDA and Barboza.
Not to mention he's a large LW, has great BJJ & cardio, and great recovery ability.

Tony has bad defence, but he has a very good chin and great recovery. Even in the Lando fight where he was knocked down repeatedly, he recovered insanely quickly.

Tony has a very real submission threat, far bigger than Diaz. Don't forget that Tony will go for standing chokes or roll for legs.

Tony has some of the best cardio in the division. He will keep a high pace for 5 rounds.

IMO the reason why Conor never finished Diaz is because he refused to go to the ground with him. Except Aldo, all of Conor's wins came from a knockdown + ground and pound. Just like Diaz, I can't see Conor going to the ground with Ferguson because of the submission threat.
Keep in mind that Conor gasses hard where as Tony could go for days. If I'm right in what I say, which I don't think is a huge stretch, Conor has to knock Tony out cold, which is something nobody has done.

Kind of odd "facts", but anyway...

Nate does not have good boxing defense, lol. He just has a really good chin/recovery to go with great cardio. Things Tony has shown as well.

That being said, I've never been a big believer in Tony. Dude looks like he's about to lose in almost every fight, and he's been rocked/knocked down more than Nate has, so his chin isn't as solid it seems.

Khabib is a much bigger threat to conor than Tony imo.

Tony has bad defence, but he has a very good chin and great recovery. Even in the Lando fight where he was knocked down repeatedly, he recovered insanely quickly.
That's exactly what they said about Eddie Alvarez

Here are some facts:

Perfectly said, but Sherdorks aren't very intelligent. They just see Tony on a 10 fight win streak and think he's unbeatable when like 8 of those guys were all just sub-par wrestlers.

Khabib is a MUCH tougher match-up for Conor if he can actually prove he's a LW - going 1-1 since being 25 and even missing it before that isn't a very good sign to prove otherwise.

If not, I'd even throw Kevin who is young and improving as a tougher match up for Conor, if he can actually stick at LW too.

And Nate's definitely proven to be a tough match up, not only because his resiliency and jiu-jitsu skills...but also because his high-level of boxing that is miles better than Tony's.

Also much easier to knock someone out when they are cutting weight..especially a ton like those big boys cut.

They will only admit this after Tony has been knocked unconscious. That's the way it works.

He'll be a past his prime brawler or something afterwards.

I think Tony at least has a chance at catching Conor in a wild sub. Also, don't underestimate Tony's wrestling.

They are gonna say tony had a bad game plan. he should have ankle picked for the whole match.

Here are some facts:

Tony is likely the best TUF contestant Ive ever seen thus far and he beats Conor like a savage. IMO

Ferg wins via submission tap to strikes

As soon as McGregor dismantles and embarrasses Tony - “Tony always sucked, everyone knows that fight was a joke from the beginning. McDucker is still ducking Khabib.”

You forgot to throw in, past his prime 34 year old, coming off elbow surgery.

Back