PWD 521: Network TV killed the NXT Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all works for me

9e1c6be5f87646e4b1749f8663cb1f6b
4539206418_e1a8064a5b.jpg

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2017/1...k-cuban-vince-mcmahon-new-japan-pro-wrestling

MARK CUBAN ON VINCE MCMAHON AND NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING

New Japan Pro Wrestling airs every Friday night on AXS TV, and the television network, whose chairman is billionaire Mark Cuban, continues to invest more money into its pro wrestling show.

“We’re looking to expand it on Friday nights,” Cuban said in an exclusive interview with Sports Illustrated. “We want to do more live, as opposed to the delay, and we’re talking to them about special events.”

Despite a foray into the wrestling business, Cuban does not believe that WWE CEO Vince McMahon is threatened by the working relationship between AXS and New Japan.

“No, he thinks we’re just little sh---,” said Cuban. “We’re not a threat because of the language. That’s the biggest challenge, the language. But if you’re a purist for wrestling, and you like the action, it’s the best promotion by far. People here aren’t going to connect as directly, but if you really love wrestling, then it’s a no-brainer.”

Cuban is an advocate for those fans thirsting for more New Japan. He purchased the rights to air the top three title matches from New Japan’s Wrestle Kingdom 12–IWGP heavyweight champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito, IWGP Intercontinental champ Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Jay White, and IWGP US champion Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho–in prime time on Saturday, January 6, only two days after the event takes place at the Tokyo Dome. Despite the high price to air Wrestle Kingdom on AXS, Cuban did not balk at the cost.

“We’re getting to know them better,” said Cuban. “We went from a delay to a short delay to live, so we’re going to get smarter about it. The numbers keep on going up. Other TVs are declining, and ours are going up. That’s a good sign. There are some nights when it beats MMA, it’s doing that well.”

AXS TV produces the English language version of New Japan Pro Wrestling in association with TV ASAHI Corporation, which is the distributor of NJPW. Their coverage of Wrestle Kingdom 12 will continue on January 12, and the entire show will play out over the following five Friday nights. There will also be an eight-hour marathon on January 6 that will feature matches that set up Wrestle Kingdom.

Cuban credited AXS TV Fights CEO Andrew Simon with leading the production, and he is thrilled to have WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross as the signature voice of the show.

“I even tune in to check out Jim,” said Cuban. “I can’t say I’m hardcore, but the show is more focused on the wrestling–that’s the glitz–than what you get anywhere else. The talent quality is equal to any of the other promotions, without question.”

Cuban noted that he is energized by the hardcore nature of the New Japan fans, and is excited to build an even wider audience with fans who have yet to experience New Japan on Friday nights with Jim Ross calling the action.

“We want people to get attached and become addicted to it,” said Cuban. “Now we’re online with DirectTV and Sling TV, and Philo.com, which is only $15 a month, so if you don’t have us on cable, you can get us online.

“There will be times in the future when we add more NJPW and less MMA. It’s a Friday night staple.”

Unlikely Raw vs. SmackDown pairings will battle it out in the Mixed Match Challenge tournament, airing LIVE exclusively on Facebook Watch every Tuesday, starting Jan. 16 at 10 ET/7 PT.

Facebook and WWE today announced a new in-ring series, Mixed Match Challenge, that will stream live in the U.S. exclusively on Facebook on Tuesday nights beginning Jan.16 at 10 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. PT. The 12-episode series will air on Facebook Watch and feature WWE Superstars from both the Raw and SmackDown Live rosters competing in a single-elimination mixed tag-team tournament to win $100,000 to support the charity of their choice.

Each 20-minute episode will reflect a progressive approach to production, with elements optimized for mobile consumption, experimentation and social interaction, including the ability for the WWE Universe to engage with Superstars during the show. In addition, fans will have the opportunity to select matchups, match stipulations and more, on Facebook.

“As we continue to expand our strategic partnership with Facebook, this new series, Mixed Match Challenge, jointly reflects our innovative approach to content distribution and fan engagement,” said Michelle Wilson, WWE Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer. “This show will deliver the action and excitement our passionate fan base is accustomed to while offering new production elements and social experiences that only Facebook can provide.”

“As a leader in entertainment innovation, WWE is an ideal partner to demonstrate how the live sports viewing experience can be reimagined on Facebook Watch,” said Dan Reed, Facebook Head of Global Sports Partnerships. “Mixed Match Challenge is a new competition produced specifically to take advantage of the reach, interaction and ongoing engagement enabled by our platform. Fans will be able to directly influence and interact with the in-ring action, follow the rivalries and storylines in between events, and connect with one another as the drama unfolds. We're excited for the WWE community to come together on our platform to watch some of the biggest Raw and SmackDown Live Superstars and engage with WWE like never before.”

“Mixed Match Challenge demonstrates WWE’s flexibility in creating and producing compelling content across platforms in a media landscape that is evolving each day,” said Jayar Donlan, WWE Executive Vice President, Digital & Social Content. “The social interaction leading up to and during each show will connect WWE Superstars with our massive fan base on Facebook in more ways than ever before.”

Mixed Match Challenge Participants

Mixed Match Challenge is a Raw vs. SmackDown LIVE tournament where male and female Superstars team up to determine which combination of strength, skill, athleticism and experience reigns supreme.

Fans will have the opportunity to vote on Facebook for the final competitor from the Raw roster, as well as which tag team member of The New Day will be added to the SmackDown LIVE roster. Teams will be announced beginning Thursday, Jan. 4.

Monday Night Raw

Alexa Bliss

Alicia Fox

Asuka

Bayley

Braun Strowman

Enzo Amore

Finn Bálor

Goldust

Nia Jax

Sasha Banks

The Miz

Final Fan Vote

SmackDown LIVE

Becky Lynch

Bobby Roode

Carmella

Charlotte Flair

Jimmy Uso

Lana

Naomi

Natalya

Rusev

Sami Zayn

Shinsuke Nakamura

Final Fan Vote
(A member of The New Day)

The unique storylines for Mixed Match Challenge will continue between episodes across WWE’s Facebook Pages with short-form videos and social content. WWE will also promote the series across its extensive digital and social footprint, including a new Facebook Watch show Page dedicated to Mixed Match Challenge. A promotional sizzle reel for the show can be found here.

WWE is a powerhouse on social media with more than 825 million followers globally. WWE has nearly 500 million likes across all Facebook Pages, and WWE’s main Facebook Page has more than 38 million likes. WWE Superstar John Cena is the No. 1 most-followed active U.S. athlete on Facebook with more than 45 million likes.

Facebook Watch is a new platform for shows on Facebook where brands can build and engage with a community of fans. Facebook Watch is available on desktop, mobile and connected TV apps. Fans can follow Mixed Match Challenge to add episodes to their personal Watchlists.

Remember, kids, Survivor Series is the ONLY time Raw and SmackDown superstars will compete against each other. Except for the PPV right before Survivor Series. And this new show. And maybe some house shows. And whenever else we feel like it.

My trap bar and bumpers came today. I already feel jacked from carrying all the plates inside from the garage.

02.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/...mega-on-chris-jericho-wrestle-kingdom-w514025

New Japan U.S. Wrestling Champ Kenny Omega Comes Cleaner

kenny-omega-top-eb50d1b0-d210-4d50-9e98-3eb19488bf9c.jpg

Maybe Kenny Omega's head was still spinning from a loss of blood. After all, it hadn't even been 48 hours since Chris Jericho busted him open with Omega's own IWGP United States Championship belt. Or perhaps New Japan Pro Wrestling's first-ever U.S. titleholder was exhausted after exacting revenge on Y2J the following day during a heated press conferencethat made recent Floyd Mayweather Vs. Conor McGregor spectacles look like so much theater.

But when Omega and I spoke earlier this week, his speech patterns were subdued to the point of slow motion. It's not that he betrayed no emotion about his wildly anticipated, once-in-a-lifetime match with future WWE Hall of Famer Jericho at NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom 12 on January 8th in Tokyo. Over the course of a 20-plus-minute phone call, the 34-year-old breakout star and Bullet Club leader laid bare his high hopes and enthusiasm for what he and his adversary can accomplish that night. He just did so in a very considered, thoughtful, monotone manner. So as Omega licks his wounds and warms up for the biggest bout of his lengthy career, here are some of his reflections on staying one step ahead of expectations, channeling Hogan v. Macho Man and whether NJPW is for life.

You always want to tell good, fresh stories in the ring. Was that the main appeal of this match with Jericho?

At the end of each year, everything builds toward Wrestle Kingdom anyway, so you sort of need that endgame storyline. For me, who's been working diligently to build up this U.S. title, it's the thing I needed to make it a topic worth talking about. I'm a big fan of not only telling stories in the ring but telling stories people haven't seen before. What we're doing right now is original because it's something only a guy like Chris Jericho could pull off. That part of it excites me. When you strip it away, it's not a complex story, but as it goes along, we've been changing up the details, and it's really taken on a life of its own and felt like something special day by day. It's feeling fun, and I feel like the fans are having fun too, and that's the most important part.

There's an almost Hogan v. Macho Man, old-school buildup happening.

Yeah, it is a little Hogan/Macho Man, with [color commentator] Don Callis playing the role of Elizabeth. [Laughs]

Is it motivating for you to be the guy who's brought out a side of Jericho we haven't been able to see in WWE for years?

When we kickstarted the angle, I don't think either of us really knew what it would turn out to be. So I don't think us being unchained has led to this new wild-man Chris Jericho. With the combination of all these reactions from all types of fans, it became what it has, and now it is definitely something you couldn't see on WWE programming, but I don't think it was originally designed to be that. It felt at first, it was just gonna be a dream match for wrestling fans that were in the know, and now it's become this cool little topic amongst not only fans that have known the career of Chris Jericho but have followed mine. A lot of our new New Japan fans have just started watching from 2012 onward, so they don't even know who Chris Jericho is, but they do understand he's a huge megastar, and they can only go with what they see every time he makes an appearance or what I tell them. There is that side where I'm the more known act and have to introduce Chris Jericho to them. All different fans are being absorbed in this angle. The way to keep them all interested is the way we've gone about it so far.

It sounds like you're comfortable with the symbiosis that exists between the fans and the product in contemporary wrestling.

We could make this a technical masterpiece if we wanted to, but at the end of the day, I feel like the way to capture the attention of not only the common fan but the longtime fans was to give them something old school. I don't think there's been blood in a New Japan ring for nine, 10 years. If there had been, we wouldn't have gone about it that way.

And the higher ups were OK being laissez-faire with your "there will be blood" approach?

I've been lucky where I've asked for a little bit of trust from the company. When you put yourself in a situation like that, you either hit consecutive home runs or you're dead in the water, because there's a lot of money on the line, there's a reputation on the line. And a lot of times I really forced them to step out of their comfort zone. Between last year's G1 and now with Jericho, I have done a lot of things the company isn't necessarily comfortable with, but they're seeing positive growth from it. Drawing blood is a faux paus. They don't like it at all. Our parent company makes its money through anime and card games.

Generally, NJPW is almost family friendly, but Omega Vs. Jericho feels like something standing apart from all of that.

Yeah, and even if it wasn't what they've been expecting, we want to give them something completely different from what's gonna be on the rest of the card. And not just different because, 'Hey, it's a WWE legend coming in to invade New Japan.' From how we went about it, how we're going about it and how we will execute the match, we want it to stand out from anything in recent memory. It's really important for us to do that.

This is the first time in a while you're the more sympathetic competitor in a big match? Is that something you're at ease with?

That wasn't the intent. I actually thought we'd be in a situation where there was no good guy. I thought it would feel more like, "Our guy versus your guy." And as time went by, it's become where people are feeling sympathy for this hideous beating I've taken and allowing me to show this extra layer to my character I haven't been able to show in New Japan. Even my most physical matches in New Japan have all been athletic contests, and generally they've all been fair and square. It's been this new strong style we've been trying to create in New Japan, with my own personal style. But this is something even more different. It's not going to look anything like my three [Kazuchika] Okada matches of G1 matches or matches with Michael Elgin or [Tomohiro] Ishii. This, the aggression comes from a different place. Even being in the ring, I can sense a different energy from the fans, and I think they appreciate the real-fight feel, and it makes me excited, and it's a challenge for me, too.

So if we're talking this time next year, are the odds best that you'll be spearheading a more robust rollout of New Japan America?

It's hard to picture what the situation is gonna look like. [Omega Vs. Jericho] is a real self-contained story that can maybe only happen once, but I'm excited to see where it leads because it's showing more of my range and a little bit of self-discovery on my part. I'm able to explore now this side of pro wrestling that is generally regarded here as taboo, but it's the wrestling I grew up watching. It goes back to the territorial stuff with Ric Flair, the way he'd promote his matches. You can't do it anymore. There's always an A, B and C point you have to hit, and things are overly scripted and micro-managed, and now we're gauging by how everything feels. Everything that this match evolves into has been an organic evolution, and that's why we haven't lost people yet.

Remember, kids, Survivor Series is the ONLY time Raw and SmackDown superstars will compete against each other. Except for the PPV right before Survivor Series. And this new show. And maybe some house shows. And whenever else we feel like it.
Remember don't ever take anything wwe says seriously

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/...mega-on-chris-jericho-wrestle-kingdom-w514025

New Japan U.S. Wrestling Champ Kenny Omega Comes Cleaner

kenny-omega-top-eb50d1b0-d210-4d50-9e98-3eb19488bf9c.jpg

Maybe Kenny Omega's head was still spinning from a loss of blood. After all, it hadn't even been 48 hours since Chris Jericho busted him open with Omega's own IWGP United States Championship belt. Or perhaps New Japan Pro Wrestling's first-ever U.S. titleholder was exhausted after exacting revenge on Y2J the following day during a heated press conferencethat made recent Floyd Mayweather Vs. Conor McGregor spectacles look like so much theater.

But when Omega and I spoke earlier this week, his speech patterns were subdued to the point of slow motion. It's not that he betrayed no emotion about his wildly anticipated, once-in-a-lifetime match with future WWE Hall of Famer Jericho at NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom 12 on January 8th in Tokyo. Over the course of a 20-plus-minute phone call, the 34-year-old breakout star and Bullet Club leader laid bare his high hopes and enthusiasm for what he and his adversary can accomplish that night. He just did so in a very considered, thoughtful, monotone manner. So as Omega licks his wounds and warms up for the biggest bout of his lengthy career, here are some of his reflections on staying one step ahead of expectations, channeling Hogan v. Macho Man and whether NJPW is for life.

You always want to tell good, fresh stories in the ring. Was that the main appeal of this match with Jericho?

At the end of each year, everything builds toward Wrestle Kingdom anyway, so you sort of need that endgame storyline. For me, who's been working diligently to build up this U.S. title, it's the thing I needed to make it a topic worth talking about. I'm a big fan of not only telling stories in the ring but telling stories people haven't seen before. What we're doing right now is original because it's something only a guy like Chris Jericho could pull off. That part of it excites me. When you strip it away, it's not a complex story, but as it goes along, we've been changing up the details, and it's really taken on a life of its own and felt like something special day by day. It's feeling fun, and I feel like the fans are having fun too, and that's the most important part.

There's an almost Hogan v. Macho Man, old-school buildup happening.

Yeah, it is a little Hogan/Macho Man, with [color commentator] Don Callis playing the role of Elizabeth. [Laughs]

Is it motivating for you to be the guy who's brought out a side of Jericho we haven't been able to see in WWE for years?

When we kickstarted the angle, I don't think either of us really knew what it would turn out to be. So I don't think us being unchained has led to this new wild-man Chris Jericho. With the combination of all these reactions from all types of fans, it became what it has, and now it is definitely something you couldn't see on WWE programming, but I don't think it was originally designed to be that. It felt at first, it was just gonna be a dream match for wrestling fans that were in the know, and now it's become this cool little topic amongst not only fans that have known the career of Chris Jericho but have followed mine. A lot of our new New Japan fans have just started watching from 2012 onward, so they don't even know who Chris Jericho is, but they do understand he's a huge megastar, and they can only go with what they see every time he makes an appearance or what I tell them. There is that side where I'm the more known act and have to introduce Chris Jericho to them. All different fans are being absorbed in this angle. The way to keep them all interested is the way we've gone about it so far.

It sounds like you're comfortable with the symbiosis that exists between the fans and the product in contemporary wrestling.

We could make this a technical masterpiece if we wanted to, but at the end of the day, I feel like the way to capture the attention of not only the common fan but the longtime fans was to give them something old school. I don't think there's been blood in a New Japan ring for nine, 10 years. If there had been, we wouldn't have gone about it that way.

And the higher ups were OK being laissez-faire with your "there will be blood" approach?

I've been lucky where I've asked for a little bit of trust from the company. When you put yourself in a situation like that, you either hit consecutive home runs or you're dead in the water, because there's a lot of money on the line, there's a reputation on the line. And a lot of times I really forced them to step out of their comfort zone. Between last year's G1 and now with Jericho, I have done a lot of things the company isn't necessarily comfortable with, but they're seeing positive growth from it. Drawing blood is a faux paus. They don't like it at all. Our parent company makes its money through anime and card games.

Generally, NJPW is almost family friendly, but Omega Vs. Jericho feels like something standing apart from all of that.

Yeah, and even if it wasn't what they've been expecting, we want to give them something completely different from what's gonna be on the rest of the card. And not just different because, 'Hey, it's a WWE legend coming in to invade New Japan.' From how we went about it, how we're going about it and how we will execute the match, we want it to stand out from anything in recent memory. It's really important for us to do that.

This is the first time in a while you're the more sympathetic competitor in a big match? Is that something you're at ease with?

That wasn't the intent. I actually thought we'd be in a situation where there was no good guy. I thought it would feel more like, "Our guy versus your guy." And as time went by, it's become where people are feeling sympathy for this hideous beating I've taken and allowing me to show this extra layer to my character I haven't been able to show in New Japan. Even my most physical matches in New Japan have all been athletic contests, and generally they've all been fair and square. It's been this new strong style we've been trying to create in New Japan, with my own personal style. But this is something even more different. It's not going to look anything like my three [Kazuchika] Okada matches of G1 matches or matches with Michael Elgin or [Tomohiro] Ishii. This, the aggression comes from a different place. Even being in the ring, I can sense a different energy from the fans, and I think they appreciate the real-fight feel, and it makes me excited, and it's a challenge for me, too.

So if we're talking this time next year, are the odds best that you'll be spearheading a more robust rollout of New Japan America?

It's hard to picture what the situation is gonna look like. [Omega Vs. Jericho] is a real self-contained story that can maybe only happen once, but I'm excited to see where it leads because it's showing more of my range and a little bit of self-discovery on my part. I'm able to explore now this side of pro wrestling that is generally regarded here as taboo, but it's the wrestling I grew up watching. It goes back to the territorial stuff with Ric Flair, the way he'd promote his matches. You can't do it anymore. There's always an A, B and C point you have to hit, and things are overly scripted and micro-managed, and now we're gauging by how everything feels. Everything that this match evolves into has been an organic evolution, and that's why we haven't lost people yet.

It worked. I feel like I can’t miss this match.

I’m pretty excited for it and I’ve never watched a Kenny Omega match or a Jap wrestling event

giphy.gif

I watched the first match with Okada.
It was pretty good.

There’s a brutal table spot about halfway through.

Good gawd Raw and SD sucked ass this week

I just watch clips on their Youtube channel now. They haven't been giving me a reason to watch the whole show or watch full matches anymore. I could care less about another good match consisting of people with no character or interesting storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back