Philadelphia: Bulletproof Glass=Racist

https://whyy.org/articles/time-philadelphias-stop-gos-stop-go/

I’m angry that the stop-and-go issue in Philadelphia has been mischaracterized as a debate about bulletproof glass. In reality, it’s about small convenience stores or delis that have routinely been allowed to skirt the law in black and brown communities.

The combination of state liquor and restaurant licenses these stores operate under require that they provide seating for 30 people and onsite bathroom facilities. The stores often have neither, and the undermanned state liquor control board, which oversees these facilities under state law, has rarely shut them down.

But the problem with stop-and-go businesses is more than a legal issue. It’s an ethical issue. The owners of these stores operate with predatory efficiency, providing everything necessary for their customers’ demise while at the same time refusing to give anything back. As a lifelong Philadelphian who has lived in the neighborhoods where these nuisance businesses have thrived, I need our city’s leaders to know this: It’s time for the stop-and-go to stop and go.

Eighth District Councilwoman Cindy Bass agrees. It’s why she introduced bill 170963 to regulate stop-and-go businesses at the city level.

“What we have is businesses that sell beer, which is supposed to be consumed off site, but it’s consumed on site,” Bass told me in an interview. “You have shots of alcohol being consumed on site. You have cold medicines that are used to be converted to illegal drugs, and you have crack pipes being sold. Then you have candy for children, which, in my opinion, is grooming the next generation of customers for this type of business.

“Anything you need to get high you can get at a stop-and-go. If they were selling hypodermic needles, there’d be a call to shut them down, but because they’re selling crack pipes and alcohol, there’s not the same sense of urgency.”

Bass is right. Unfortunately, that message has been lost in the uproar over bulletproof glass. The store owners have argued that the bill — which requires stores that claim to be restaurants to operate as such — would bring bloodshed by requiring stop-and-go stores to remove bulletproof glass.

In truth, the bill does not require the immediate removal of the bulletproof glass. Rather, it mandates that the city’s Department of Licenses and Inspections decide on the bulletproof glass in 2021. L&I could very well decide that the bulletproof glass can stay in the stores. But, by pretending this is a safety issue rather than a legal issue, stop-and-go owners can continue to skirt the law without being forced to change their predatory business model.

Disdain for customers
That makes me angrier than anything else. Because the people who are siding with stop-and-go owners on this issue have never lived in the neighborhoods they claim to know so much about. If they had, they would know, as I do, that the majority of people in our neighborhoods go to work every day, struggle to pay their bills, and strive to live in peace with their neighbors. They would know that the vast majority of businesses in poor black and brown neighborhoods — including numerous Asian-owned businesses — operate safely without plexiglass.

But the narrative that stop-and-go owners have spun is one that shows a disdain for the customers they claim to care so much about. That’s the message I got when I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News that Asian American Licensed Beverage Association chairman Adam Xu told 200 stop-and-go owners not to use guns, but in the next breath said, “If this bill passes, nobody should remove their bulletproof glass … we will tell the entire city government and all citizens of Philadelphia: ‘We love the community like everybody else. We do not want gun violence.’ ”

In my view, such statements are not made out of love. They’re made out of fear. And if stop-and-go owners are afraid of the black and brown people in my community, they shouldn’t claim to love us. They should leave.

Because here is the truth: Love doesn’t sell crack pipes to addicts, or peddle illegal loose cigarettes in a community that desperately needs tax revenue from legal tobacco. Love doesn’t sell shots of liquor to alcoholics from one hand, and bags of potato chips to children from another. Love doesn’t threaten to ignore the law in order to keep selling poison to a community that is already distressed. Love doesn’t assume that every customer who walks through the door is a criminal.

Love, most of all, doesn’t kill a community one serving at a time.

If stop-and-go stores can’t operate within the law, they shouldn’t be allowed to operate at all. Instead they should simply stop and go.

Cliffs

These stores are breaking state liquor laws.

They sell shots of liquor illegally, drug paraphernalia (trinket that are sold only to be used as crack pipes), beer to go and snacks.

If these shops were in an affluent neighborhood they would be shut down immediately.

The working families of these neighborhoods want these places to either comply with the law or shut down. Due to state inaction they want city legislation to enforce these standards.

The removing of bullet proof glass was small piece of the bill which I believe has been removed but people latched onto it because they are scared of black people.

These stores operate under a liquor license for food establishments. Basically they are supposed to be restaurants/delis. Instead they are just To-Go beer stores that also illegally sell shots of liquor.

But the problem with stop-and-go businesses is more than a legal issue. It’s an ethical issue. The owners of these stores operate with predatory efficiency, providing everything necessary for their customers’ demise while at the same time refusing to give anything back. As a lifelong Philadelphian who has lived in the neighborhoods where these nuisance businesses have thrived, I need our city’s leaders to know this: It’s time for the stop-and-go to stop and go.

Because here is the truth: Love doesn’t sell crack pipes to addicts, or peddle illegal loose cigarettes in a community that desperately needs tax revenue from legal tobacco. Love doesn’t sell shots of liquor to alcoholics from one hand, and bags of potato chips to children from another. Love doesn’t threaten to ignore the law in order to keep selling poison to a community that is already distressed. Love doesn’t assume that every customer who walks through the door is a criminal.

I don't think I buy this line of reasoning.

First paragraph: Same argument can be used on stores that sell fast food, guns, medicine, sugary products, etc. You can't legislate people to act in their own best interest. If the customer chooses to buy stuff that leads to his demise, so be it. There's plenty of people, including me, who can manage to do business with stop and go stores and not loiter around or become criminals. What do they mean by "give back"? The store "gives back" by paying their taxes and operating a business in the neighborhood.

As for the second one, love also means not robbing your community businesses.

They sell shots of liquor illegally, drug paraphernalia (trinket that are sold only to be used as crack pipes), beer to go and snacks.

If these shops were in an affluent neighborhood they would be shut down immediately.

The working families of these neighborhoods want these places to either comply with the law or shut down. Due to state inaction they want city legislation to enforce these standards.

The removing of bullet proof glass was small piece of the bill which I believe has been removed but people latched onto it because they are scared of black people.

These stores operate under a liquor license for food establishments. Basically they are supposed to be restaurants/delis. Instead they are just To-Go beer stores that also illegally sell shots of liquor.

Okay, make sure they don't sell single shots of liquor then. Penalize those that do.

The rest can be left as it is. Put the responsibility on the customer, since they have free choice in the matter, not the store which also serves normal functioning members of society.

There was already a thread about this. Asian store owners are in an uproar.

ZEch1nP.jpg

Cry more. I can't wait to see these stores gone. Come face to face with the alcoholics you are serving at 1pm in the afternoon. It's great having a breeding ground for fiends, alcoholics, and whatever else in one place.

I think the issue comes from the fact that the people arguing for these stores, don't live in these neighborhoods. Put these stores in your neighborhoods too if it's okay. Why not? Because property values will drop, crime will increase, and a dangerous eyesore is added to the community.

I don't think I buy this line of reasoning.

First paragraph: Same argument can be used on stores that sell fast food, guns, medicine, sugary products, etc. You can't legislate people to act in their own best interest. If the customer chooses to buy stuff that leads to his demise, so be it. There's plenty of people, including me, who can manage to do business with stop and go stores and not loiter around or become criminals. What do they mean by "give back"? The store "gives back" by paying their taxes and operating a business in the neighborhood.

As for the second one, love also means not robbing your community businesses.

Okay, make sure they don't sell single shots of liquor then. Penalize those that do.

The rest can be left as it is. Put the responsibility on the customer, since they have free choice in the matter, not the store which also serves normal functioning members of society.

There are state laws against what they are doing. But they aren't being enforced in poor neighborhoods so there is a call for the city to get involved.

So they basically just copied the state law and added a couple of things and this got painted as being just about bullet proof glass.

I think the issue comes from the fact that the people arguing for these stores, don't live in these neighborhoods. Put these stores in your neighborhoods too if it's okay. Why not? Because property values will drop, crime will increase, and a dangerous eyesore is added to the community.

Could imagine one of these places existing in Rittenhouse lol

Perfect.

There are state laws against what they are doing. But they aren't being enforced in poor neighborhoods so there is a call for the city to get involved.

So they basically just copied the state law and added a couple of things and this got painted as being just about bullet proof glass.

Then why not focus on the aspect of the law being broken and leave it at that?

Why introduce such ridiculous things like removal of bullet proof glass in high crime neighborhoods?

Then why not focus on the aspect of the law being broken and leave it at that?

Why introduce such ridiculous things like removal of bullet proof glass in high crime neighborhoods?

They are focusing on that. The drive is to get these places to act like the restaurants they are claiming to be.

Restaurants (even in poor neighborhoods) rarely have bulletproof glass.

The bulletproof glass piece was minor part of the bill that was used to lambast the entire thing.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/fake-new...man-bass-didnt-call-bulletproof-glass-racist/

The bill has since been amended and would not immediately require large establishments to remove the glass. Instead, the city would convene a group to review how to handle 30-seat restaurants, and would decide how to deal with them.

That "could mean the City ultimately decides to leave the plexiglass as is, to remove it completely or something in between," said Karen Guss, spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections. She noted the legislation wouldn't impact small restaurants, take-out places or convenience stores.

They are focusing on that. The drive is to get these places to act like the restaurants they are claiming to be.

Restaurants (even in poor neighborhoods) rarely have bulletproof glass.

The bulletproof glass piece was minor part of the bill that was used to lambast the entire thing.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/fake-new...man-bass-didnt-call-bulletproof-glass-racist/

The bill has since been amended and would not immediately require large establishments to remove the glass. Instead, the city would convene a group to review how to handle 30-seat restaurants, and would decide how to deal with them.

That "could mean the City ultimately decides to leave the plexiglass as is, to remove it completely or something in between," said Karen Guss, spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections. She noted the legislation wouldn't impact small restaurants, take-out places or convenience stores.

Good experience for next time not to add ridiculous provisions into a bill.

Seems like they're missing the oh so little nuance of high crime neighborhoods having more chance of putting the store owner in danger.

Good experience for next time not to add ridiculous provisions into a bill.

Seems like they're missing the oh so little nuance of high crime neighborhoods having more chance of putting the store owner in danger.

These type of businesses attract criminals to the neighborhood.

The more interesting thing to me is why liquor law regulations in Philadelphia become a national news story.....

The more interesting thing to me is why liquor law regulations in Philadelphia become a national news story.....

Probably because of the asinine provision to remove bullet proof glass where it is most needed.

I'm all for making sure they don't serve shots as if they were a restaurant, penalize them for breaking the law. Don't put the owner in obvious danger.

I'd guess any store that sells liquor in high crime areas would attract criminals.

No, no I could not lol. People would be terrified.

First, I have zero experience with these 'beer-delis', so take this for what it is, but would people be terrified by the 'restaurant' being in their neighbourhood, or would they be terrified if one of these restaurants were in their neighbourhood, along with the clientele that shows up in the 'bad' neighbourhoods? 'Cause that seems to be two different things. I suspect a similar style of a setup in a high-end area would have a completely different feel to it.

First, I have zero experience with these 'beer-delis', so take this for what it is, but would people be terrified by the 'restaurant' being in their neighbourhood, or would they be terrified if one of these restaurants were in their neighbourhood, along with the clientele that shows up in the 'bad' neighbourhoods? 'Cause that seems to be two different things. I suspect a similar style of a setup in a high-end area would have a completely different feel to it.

If one of these places opened up in a high end neighborhood like Rittenhouse it would attract the clientele. The homeless and drug addicts would frequent it and drink/do drugs in the park in the middle of the neighborhood. There would be pressure on the city for an increased police presence to stop them from doing this.

Because there is a lot of racism left in this country. Duh.

A similar style set up would have the deli owner losing their license for illegal sale of alcohol. The way it is currently you can walk into a deli, buy a beer, and drink it standing there. Philadelphia isn't a hard city to navigate. It's not uncommon to find H users going to K&A down town in center city. You'd have all types of monsters in there just hanging out legally. To answer your question, yes they'd be terrified of both. No one wants these bs stores in their neighborhoods.

A similar style set up would have the deli owner losing their license for illegal sale of alcohol. The way it is currently you can walk into a deli, buy a beer, and drink it standing there. Philadelphia isn't a hard city to navigate. It's not uncommon to find H users going to K&A down town in center city. You'd have all types of monsters in there just hanging out legally. To answer your question, yes they'd be terrified of both. No one wants these bs stores in their neighborhoods.
I don't mind. Most are open before the CVS. Grabbing a mega power for $1.50 on my way to work at 5 am is pretty convenient

Back