researcher attacked by far right after she uncovers Jingle Bells' racist past

I don't think that would happen. Mostly because some variant of it happens almost every year and while the speaker usually gets dragged through the media mud, it's rarely characterized as "racist" and more about the tone deafness of the speaker.

Coming back to this story, your hypo isn't really relevant. This isn't some high profile person stating an opinion. It's actual research by someone who does research into the historical origins of a song. It's well sourced. It's scholarship, not opinion based on scholarship.

So when a media source takes scholarship and assigns an opinion to the researcher that is not in the work itself and does so without the standard media protocol of giving the researcher an opportunity to respond then we should all have a problem with that.

It's particularly troubling because the far right grouping is the group that constantly complains about how everything is being mislabelled as "racism". That allegation becomes less credible when they are mislabelling every statement as an accusation of racism".

It's circular psychosis. Johnny says that Luke is calling Tony racist even though Luke never says that. Then Johnny accuses Luke of misusing the term "racist". Johnny has lied about Luke so that he can then congratulate himself for standing up to him. :eek:

Like those nurses that harm their patients so that they can later claim credit for trying to save them.
Fair enough.

Still doesn't change my opinion that I think this research topic is fucking stupid and doesn't really add anything of worth to the world but that's just me.

Fair enough.

Still doesn't change my opinion that I think this research topic is fucking stupid and doesn't really add anything of worth to the world but that's just me.
You aren't alone.

Fair enough.

That's fine. But plenty of people like to learn the history of music because it helps explain changes in social norms, cultural customs and the evolution of language.

But I can completely accept that it's not necessarily all that interesting.

How would all you guys have preferred she deliver this information to prevent alt right fucktards from stuffing sand in their vaginas and sending her death threats?

How about not making a thread about it?

Who even sees stories like this without your saintly self sharing your ridiculous life on here to stir up shit.

You subscribe to 'Dumbass Shit Weekly'

Haven't been called an asshole in a long enough time for your fetish?

C'mon son.

That's fine. But plenty of people like to learn the history of music because it helps explain changes in social norms, cultural customs and the evolution of language.

But I can completely accept that it's not necessarily all that interesting.
Like, if I were to do a study like this for a song pick something like "Dixieland", "Swing Low", "Tuesday's Gone" or something similar...

But "Jingle Bells"? How'd she not go insane and try to blow her brains out researching that song for years?

EDIT:
Like, I have a coworker that has been playing Christmas songs since the beginning of November and I want to shoot her computer and then myself for all the times I've heard Alvin and the Chipmunks and Jingle Bells.

Last edited:
There was no “far right backlash”. The only thing actually shown was a couple of twitter posts ridiculing her (not attacking).

Because they didn't show her hate mail or the entirety of the online backlash, it didn't happen. Is that what you're saying? Because, if so, that's stupid. This is exactly the kind of thing the alt right lashes out at and there's no reason to doubt that it did happen.

She mentions how she has reported to police and we don’t even have a police officer quote or even a quote from a police report indicating how serious it’s been taken or possible criminal charges that may be in the pipeline.

That's true. None of this in any way effects the truthfulness of the article, however.

A big fat nothingburger that has, due to guillable leftists like you, achieved its purpose.

Edit: the claim about Jingle Bells is also misleading - it’s not really even her claim. Mods should dubs you

The mods should crowdfund a brain for you. Her claim is that the song has racism in its roots. The title is accurate all the way round.

@spamking @irish_thug @HunterSdVa29 @WTF2008 @Gregolian @DragRacer @EL CORINTHIAN @Bargey

I found this interesting tidbit about why she studied this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...cklash-from-the-right-its-not-black-and-white

Hamill had probed the origins of the popular carol, hoping to settle a friendly rivalry between Medford, Massachusetts, and Savannah, Georgia, over where Jingle Bells was written.

Here's some info about the rivalry:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/12/21/jinglebells/ZeH3tB7AZcBJzwmVyUYH7I/story.html

Medford at center of ‘Jingle Bell Wars’

It’s a jaunty little Christmas number that works well at both kindergarten recitals and boozy holiday parties. And the story behind its creation was just so darn charming that decades ago the elders of Medford put the tale on a plaque right there in the city square, at the site of the bar where it all supposedly went down in 1850.

Medford, you see, was where James Pierpont is said to have written the quaint little carol we know as “Jingle Bells.”

There are some old problems with this claim, the ones at the center of the “Jingle Bell Wars” that have been going on for years with Savannah, Ga., which makes a similar claim and has its own plaque. But some new problems have come up — issues of social context as well as provenance, based on new research that answers some questions and raises others.

The latest controversy started when Kyna Hamill, a theater historian at Boston University and a research volunteer at the Medford Historical Society, got tired of the annual December calls from reporters asking about the Jingle Bell Wars. The conflicting stories made her want to know more: Where was the song first performed? And how?

Last edited:
Again. Who cares? Congrats. You settled a debate and gave people ammunition to label a classic as racist. Bravo. Please do not come home for Christmas. Bahston can have her.

Lol. The right went full retard there. In that article.

Almost as weird to get hate mail about it as it is to even study it.

Like it's a secret that we were racist in the past.
Both sides had slaves.

How would all you guys have preferred she deliver this information to prevent alt right fucktards from stuffing sand in their vaginas and sending her death threats?

Obviously that's a disgusting and unnecessary overreaction. Nobody deserves that, and anyone sending her death threats should be prosecuted.

With that said, for what reason do you spend "years" studying a Christmas Carol, only to discover it totally had racist origins, at Christmas time? Not in any way attempting to equivocate or excuse death threats, I just don't think this is as innocent as it's being portrayed.

Obviously that's a disgusting and unnecessary overreaction. Nobody deserves that, and anyone sending her death threats should be prosecuted.

With that said, for what reason do you spend "years" studying a Christmas Carol, only to discover it totally had racist origins, at Christmas time? Not in any way attempting to equivocate or excuse death threats, I just don't think this is as innocent as it's being portrayed.

The malevolent origins of her dark studies: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/r...ls-racist-past.3679679/page-15#post-136932627

Again. Who cares? Congrats. You settled a debate and gave people ammunition to label a classic as racist. Bravo. Please do not come home for Christmas. Bahston can have her.

But no one, including the researcher, labelled the song as racist. Her entire paper is split between the song's lyrical origin and it's role in the minstrel era. It is the minstrel era's history of blackface that has gotten the far right in the tizzy.

Literally, the only accusations of "racism" come from people accusing the researcher of calling the song racist. But if the song has the timeline history that it has then none of this should shock or upset anyone, the 1800's were a very different time. The sensitive snowflakes here are people who can't handle the time that a song written during the are when slavery was legal might not be squeaky clean.

For those people, I don't know how they can manage history at all without getting triggered by normal historical revelations.

lmfao Jesus Christ, this post is too much.

Before post #289 - Irish Thug: "Why should she study this? Certainly not just for the sake of learning! What bullshit!"

After post #289 - Irish Thug: "Why should she study this? Certainly not to settle a regional dispute! What bullshit!"

But no one, including the researcher, labelled the song as racist. Her entire paper is split between the song's lyrical origin and it's role in the minstrel era. It is the minstrel era's history of blackface that has gotten the far right in the tizzy.

Literally, the only accusations of "racism" come from people accusing the researcher of calling the song racist. But if the song has the timeline history that it has then none of this should shock or upset anyone, the 1800's were a very different time. The sensitive snowflakes here are people who can't handle the time that a song written during the are when slavery was legal might not be squeaky clean.

For those people, I don't know how they can manage history at all without getting triggered by normal historical revelations.
She focuses on race an awful lot in that paper. Going so far as to bring up paintings from that period and how black people are depicted.

She focuses on race an awful lot in that paper. Going so far as to bring up paintings from that period and how black people are depicted.

She focuses on blackface as a component of the minstrel era. Given how common it was, you can't discuss the era without discussing blackface. That's just history. Ignoring it because it makes some people uncomfortable is the very same behavior that is normally derided - avoiding sensitive topics because some people are too emotionally fragile to handle it.

We might as well never discuss America before 1970 so that these fragile souls never hear a fact that they don't like. We can start with changing the founding of the nation to 1976 and never have to face slavery, Jim Crow, etc. ever again, lol. We can call pre-Jimmy Carter America some left wing fantasy world. <45>

She focuses on blackface as a component of the minstrel era. Given how common it was, you can't discuss the era without discussing blackface. That's just history. Ignoring it because it makes some people uncomfortable is the very same behavior that is normally derided - avoiding sensitive topics because some people are too emotionally fragile to handle it.

We might as well never discuss America because 1970 so that these fragile souls never hear a fact that they don't like. We can start with changing the founding the nation to 1976 and never have to face slavery, Jim Crow, etc. ever again, lol. We can call pre-Jimmy Carter America some left wing fantasy world. <45>
And what does any of this have to do with her settling which city it was written in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sosadus
Back