• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Max hasn't faced a Div I wrestler since Bermudez

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
*Edit* This fight is back on, so I'm bumping this thread.

Yes I know that Max has improved immeasurably, but that doesn't changed the fact that the last Div I wrestler he faced took him down four times and won a closely contested fight. It's also worth noting that Dennis Bermudez is similar in size to Edgar (with even shorter reach) and he still closed the distance and got Max down and cut him up with gnp —but yes, Max has improved, but at the same time, Bermudez is no Frankie Edgar.

Also, Conor and Andre fili took Max down multiple times as well after that bermudez fight.

Summary: I'm not convinced that Max has improved his TDD enough yet to stop someone like Edgar.

Last edited:
The only person Edgar has ever really had trouble taking down was Aldo.

Maybe BJ in the first fight but he didn't attempt many until the later stages of the fight when he found success.

He doesnt have one training partner with any wrestling pedigree

Yeah wouldn't surprise me at all to see Edgar grapplefuck him for a couple rounds. It could be another Rock/Paper/Scissors thing between Max//Frankie/Aldo

Frankie, never stops, never been stopped
16-5-1 against multiple generations of top level comp across 2 weight classes
Only lost to three people

Edgar gonna edgar!! andnew

That's why this is the perfect test for Max.

Yes, I know that Max has improved immeasurably, but that doesn't changed the fact that the last Div I wrestler he faced took him down four times and won a closely contested fight. It's also worth noting that Dennis Bermudez is similar in size to Edgar and he still closed the distance and got Max down—but yes, MAx has improved, but at the same time, Bermudez is no Frankie Edgar.

Also, Conor and Andre fili took Max down multiple times as well after that bermudez fight.

Summary: I'm not convinced that Max has improved his TDD enough yet to stop someone like Edgar.

so what. max has fought many bjj blackbelts and really how many d 1 wrestlers are top contenders at 145 pounds any way

if Frankie wins Conor goes back to 145.

Yeah, and there's nobody like Frankie Edgar anyway. Just like there's nobody like Max Holloway. If he gets past Edgar, he has the feel of a long-reigning, dominant champion, but this is a major test.

Yes, I know that Max has improved immeasurably, but that doesn't changed the fact that the last Div I wrestler he faced took him down four times and won a closely contested fight. It's also worth noting that Dennis Bermudez is similar in size to Edgar and he still closed the distance and got Max down—but yes, MAx has improved, but at the same time, Bermudez is no Frankie Edgar.

The thing with edgar is he isn't going to gas...his only chance to win is to get max down and keep him there as long as possible...I'm sure max knows this and hopefully is working on his tdd. REally working on it...We could see a down to the wire close decision...

so what. max has fought many bjj blackbelts and really how many d 1 wrestlers are top contenders at 145 pounds any way

You missed the point while simultaneously reinforcing it.

Nah man
Edgar gonna get picked apart like Aldo did

Conor wrestled Max much better than Bermudez lmao

Frankie's fight is in the wrestling. I dont think he stands any chance on the feet. He needs to do to Max what he did to Yair. I got Max in this one.

Young grasshopper,

Max has already moved past the phase of just figuring out TDD to stop a wrestler’s shot. You can see it in his development.

He makes the fight his by not allowing his hips to be in the position to even need to grab underhooks with his movement. He also has mastered both stances in fighting making it harder for guys to shoot in on his hips because he can hit you in different angles and distances to deter you, or that he may exit in either lateral motion.

It’s called Playing-My-Game and he makes people play his game like he’s going to make Frankie Strike with him. I was able to figure this out when I saw his early fight with some random white guy forget his name (pat Schiller or some shit).

He would throw combinations and move his hips away so Schiller had no shot like a matador does to a bull.

Something that Wonderboy has developed too. These guys are in their own class.

Lastly, Max is fucking fast with them hands and he even switches up his tempo mid fight like he did with Aldo.

Young grasshopper,

Max has already moved past the phase of just figuring out TDD to stop a wrestler’s shot. You can see it in his development.

He makes the fight his by not allowing his hips to be in the position to even need to grab underhooks with his movement. He also has mastered both stances in fighting making it harder for guys to shoot in on his hips because he can hit you in different angles and distances to deter you, or that he may exit in either lateral motion.

It’s called Playing-My-Game and he makes people play his game like he’s going to make Frankie Strike with him. I was able to figure this out when I saw his early fight with some random white guy forget his name (pat Schiller or some shit).

He would throw combinations and move his hips away so Schiller had no shot like a matador does to a bull.

Something that Wonderboy has developed too. These guys are in their own class.

Lastly, Max is fucking fast with them hands and he even switches up his tempo mid fight like he did with Aldo.

Yes, he's done that against non Div I wrestlers, now lets see him do it consistently against a Div I wrestler who mixes things up better than anyone else and who has equal, if not better cardio.

Yes, he's done that against non Div I wrestlers, now lets see him do it consistently against a Div I wrestler who mixes things up better than anyone else and who has equal, if not better cardio.

I already gave you some good technical reasons why he’s ready.

Max is also taller, faster and rangier than Edgar.

If Max decides to switch stances make fight at a longer range then Edgar will need to take an extra step to get in on the hips and that’s ample time for a guy like Max to move. And doing so, he can get Edgar to switch to a single leg rather than a double leg.

The fact that Max was a few inches taller than Aldo gave Jose fits and Jose even mentioned it.

Like i said, he’s good at making people PLAY HIS GAME. Max understands what a wrestler is capable of at a young age you can clearly see him develop those skills albeit against non d1 caliber opponents but it’s there.

Edit: this is coming from a guy who has bet on Edgar in every UFC fight so far except here

Last edited:
Back