1 shot in Hamilton: Post #68 paramedics charged with failure to provide the necessities of life

This was 15+ years ago.. With the phone books.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-after-good-samaritans-death/article37434571/

Hamilton paramedics facing rare criminal investigation after Good Samaritan’s death

As Yosif Al-Hasnawi lay dying on a downtown Hamilton sidewalk earlier this month, shot after trying to help a stranger, witnesses say paramedics dismissed his pain and accused him of acting.

It took nearly 40 minutes for the 19-year-old to be taken to hospital on Dec. 2, and when the ambulance pulled away, there were no sirens flashing. Mr. Al-Hasnawi died in hospital that night.

The paramedics' response, which has already sparked two government reviews, is now the subject of a rare criminal investigation.

He said the paramedics insisted he'd been shot by a pellet gun and was fine. When they did transport him, the ambulance went to St. Joseph's Healthcare. The city's lead trauma centre where gun-shot victims are typically treated is Hamilton General Hospital.

In addition to the criminal investigation, the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is also investigating this case. The City of Hamilton had launched its own internal probe, though a spokesperson said Wednesday that it will now "pause" that investigation in order to co-operate fully with Niagara police. Asked about the paramedics' status in the interim, spokesperson Allison Jones said "the City of Hamilton is not able to provide employment status details of city staff during an active investigation."

Mario Posteraro, head of the local paramedic's union, said it welcomes this investigation "provided it's conducted in an expeditious, thorough and fair manner, to bring a level of comfort and closure to the family – and to regain the public's trust, which I think has been lost during this unfortunate and tragic event.

"He was lying there complaining he was hurting and they kept saying he was faking," Mr. Raczynski said of paramedics and police at the scene. (The Hamilton Police Service has said that police actions that night do not meet the threshold for an SIU probe.)

"The one paramedic kept saying 'Oh you're a good actor,'" he said. "I just thought it was disgusting. Like somebody's shot, you take him in to the hospital. You don't leave him lying there."

Two men, Dale Burningsky King, 19, and James Matheson, 20, have been charged in connection with the homicide.

Police are still looking to talk to the older man who Mr. Al-Hasnawi was trying to defend.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Was the guy bleeding? Did they all just sit around on the sidewalk arguing for 40 minutes?

This is a sad story and I hope the paramedics are held responsible for their inaction. I saw a man pass out at the gym once and I was shocked at how slowly and almost disinterestedly the paramedics handled the situation. If human life is in your hands, you need to have some damn pep in your step at all times.

You know what is sad? If this kid punched someone in a pizza parlor somewhere in Europe, this thread would be 10 pages long and full of vitriol. But since he died being a hero here in America, the thread is derailed by a discussion about air rifles.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Was the guy bleeding? Did they all just sit around on the sidewalk arguing for 40 minutes?
My understanding is that the 40 minutes includes the ambulance ride (without sirens) to the more distant hospital and is not just the time to initiate transportation.

This is a sad story and I hope the paramedics are held responsible for their inaction. I saw a man pass out at the gym once and I was shocked at how slowly and almost disinterestedly the paramedics handled the situation. If human life is in your hands, you need to have some damn pep in your step at all times.

You know what is sad? If this kid punched someone in a pizza parlor somewhere in Europe, this thread would be 10 pages long and full of vitriol. But since he died being a hero here in America, the thread is derailed by a discussion about air rifles.
The City of Hamilton in this story is in Canada.

There are three ongoing investigations (one criminal) into the actions of the individual paramedics that cost minutes and transportation to the less-equipped hospital.

But I am uncertain that the individual, who made the decision to cage a transit fine recipient with a violently insane person and one bed, was equally investigated.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...t-fine-killed-by-mentally-ill-inmate.3006585/

The City of Hamilton in this story is in Canada.

There are three ongoing investigations (one criminal) into the actions of the individual paramedics that cost minutes and transportation to the less-equipped hospital.

But I am uncertain that the individual, who made the decision to cage a transit fine recipient with a violently insane person and one bed, was equally investigated.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...t-fine-killed-by-mentally-ill-inmate.3006585/

Oh ok, there are like a dozen cities called "Hamilton" in the states.

I've never heard a story like the one you've linked. I can't believe that guy would rather spend 3 days in jail than pay $287. But you would think a mentally ill inmate would have a private cell.

Oh ok, there are like a dozen cities called "Hamilton" in the states.

I've never heard a story like the one you've linked. I can't believe that guy would rather spend 3 days in jail than pay $287. But you would think a mentally ill inmate would have a private cell.
It's not a choice if you don't have $287, which might be the case for homeless people, the kind of people who might attempt to ride transit without a fare ticket. But the larger question is why there is a different standard of care for those inside and outside of custody.

After some more thought, I'm gonna chalk this one up to the opiod crisis in America.

How many dope-seekers do you think these medics encounter on a daily basis? How many assholes shoot themselves with pellet guns, or fake stomach pain, or cut themselves just to get a trip to the hospital and some free morphine?

Especially considering these apparently took place in the ghetto...

I bet they get at least 1 junkie a day trying to ride the big white taxi to the government funded dope-man.

My understanding is that the 40 minutes includes the ambulance ride (without sirens) to the more distant hospital and is not just the time to initiate transportation.

That helps. Still doesn't explain them calling the guy a faker.

Would a bayonet attached to a pellet gun be as lethal as a bayonet attached to a .22 rifle?

It's possible to be killed by a pellet gun but I think it is somewhere between unusual and rare. As kids, we used to play Cowboys and ______ and also Cops and Robbers, shooting each other with bb's. They sting and you can break the skin.

My wife's father has a .22 pellet gun that goes through 3/4 inch plywood. You get that close range to the dome or between the ribs its damaging as hell.
He kills racoons and rats from 30 feet with it.

I graduated from Brock. There is a good sized muslim population from hamilton to niagara. I have rarely met one that wasnt friendly or good samaritan in nature, especially the ones i lived with and had labs with. This is sad and our health science department will feel this for sure.

Rip to him and i hope his family can find peace somehow.

Would a bayonet attached to a pellet gun be as lethal as a bayonet attached to a .22 rifle?

It's possible to be killed by a pellet gun but I think it is somewhere between unusual and rare. As kids, we used to play Cowboys and ______ and also Cops and Robbers, shooting each other with bb's. They sting and you can break the skin.

Pellet gun is significantly different than bb

I had a 1200 FPS pellet gun I used in highschool to shoot rabbits in our yard. We technicallly lived inside of city limits despite having 3 acres, so I couldn’t just use a 22

The pellet gun killed the rabbits every time from 20-30 yards, and wound damage was in the same tier as a 22

Up close, I have no doubt a pellet gun could kill a person if shot in the chest and missing a thick rib, or in the head. Heck, maybe even gut shot where the pellet doesn’t exit but bounces around causing internal bleeding

Rest in peace

Stupid paramedics

After some more thought, I'm gonna chalk this one up to the opiod crisis in America.

How many dope-seekers do you think these medics encounter on a daily basis? How many assholes shoot themselves with pellet guns, or fake stomach pain, or cut themselves just to get a trip to the hospital and some free morphine?

I bet they get at least 1 junkie a day trying to ride the big white taxi to the government funded dope-man.

I feel like a paramedic should be able to assess whether or not a person has been shot, and regardless of the reason why they were shot they should be taken to the hospital. It's not a paramedics job to decide that a doctor shouldn't write someone a prescription.

Time to kill two birds with one stone, but confusingly from opposite directions, look at how terrible socialized medical care is in Canada, and we must outlaw pellet guns in Canada for the children (but then only outlaws will have pellet guns).

1200 fps is not what I remember from the 1970's.

I bought it about 20 years ago and mounted a scope on it. The first shot I fired trying to sight the scope in was at a quarter. It hit true and broke the coin into three pieces.

Last edited:

This was in canada

Back