How does everyone on YouTube get injured?

hearthstone25

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’ve been working out a long time now and never had an injury *knocks on wood* I do a proper 30 minute warmup. I think maybe that’s why so many people get injured. They don’t warm up long enough.

Has anybody else been blessed with never injuring themselves?

Read up on Trent Dassouza's A Study of the effects of Cellular Electromagnetic Waves on Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy. Pretty long but it looks for causal relationship between your cell phone waves and injury in the weight room...

I’ve been working out a long time now and never had an injury *knocks on wood* I do a proper 30 minute warmup. I think maybe that’s why so many people get injured. They don’t warm up long enough.

Has anybody else been blessed with never injuring themselves?

What is your warm up routine ?

30 minutes seems like a ballache

I just get right into it tbh. Always have. I'm 29 now though so probably should think about warming up some

The same reasons everyone else gets injured...shit form and bad programming.

I'm injured all the time but nothing really serious. I think it's because I want to do a lot of stuff at the same time, I'm not a kid anymore. :(

What is your warm up routine ?

30 minutes seems like a ballache

I just get right into it tbh. Always have. I'm 29 now though so probably should think about warming up some
I’m 29 too. I start off with a 5 lb bar and do all kinds of stretch movements with it and some weird shit like moving my hips and neck around. I make sure I pop all my shit. Then do high reps with the same movement of all the lifts I’m doing that day. Then I move on to a 25 lb bar and do same thing with the movements of the lifts. Then finally the 45 lb bar.

My gym time is always hour and half.

The same reasons everyone else gets injured...shit form and bad programming.

Don't think this is really true. Some people just have crappy soft tissue, or other physiological factors that cause them to get injured.

You tubers are all on roids, that’s what causes the injuries

I’m 29 too. I start off with a 5 lb bar and do all kinds of stretch movements with it and some weird shit like moving my hips and neck around. I make sure I pop all my shit. Then do high reps with the same movement of all the lifts I’m doing that day. Then I move on to a 25 lb bar and do same thing with the movements of the lifts. Then finally the 45 lb bar.

My gym time is always hour and half.
You eventually start working out when you're at the gym right?

People who are working out for an audience have a strong incentive to try to PR or do impressive things on a regular timetable. Pushing closer to your limits increases risk of injury. People with successful channels are often strong- higher absolute loads increase risk of injury.

It's both.
Don't think this is really true. Some people just have crappy soft tissue, or other physiological factors that cause them to get injured.

People who are working out for an audience have a strong incentive to try to PR or do impressive things on a regular timetable. Pushing closer to your limits increases risk of injury. People with successful channels are often strong- higher absolute loads increase risk of injury.

If you have an anatomical/physiological deficit, that should be taken into consideration when programming, and adjust their routine accordingly. Hence, it is still a programming issue.

Also, valid point on people pushing themselves too hard in front of an audience. Leads to form breakdown, CNS fatigue, etc.

could you explain this further, please? what do you mean by crappy soft tissue?
imbalances and myofascial stuff?

If you have an anatomical/physiological deficit, that should be taken into consideration when programming, and adjust their routine accordingly. Hence, it is still a programming issue.

Perhaps- except it isn't always easy to tell the difference between having bad luck and having a genuine physiological issue that makes you injury prone.

Injuries can also come from overuse, and I think that there can be a very fine line between natural and unavoidable accumulated fatigue from training or competitive events. I believe that at a certain level you are going to be at least a bit tired a bit sore much of the time, however you program. And this can very quickly turn into injury.

could you explain this further, please? what do you mean by crappy soft tissue?
imbalances and myofascial stuff?

I mean things like having structurally weaker tendons or ligaments, or structurally weaker bones. Check this out:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-genetics-of-being-injury-prone/385257/

Within the field of sports-injury genetics, some studies have focused on variations in the genes that control the production of collagen, the main component of tendons and ligaments. Collagen proteins also form the backbone of tissues and bones, but in some people, structural differences in these proteins may leave the body’s structures weaker or unable to repair themselves properly after injury. In a study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2009, South African researchers found that specific variations of a collagen gene named COL1A1 were under-represented in a group of recreational athletes who had suffered traumatic ACL injuries. Those who had torn their ACL were four times as likely as the uninjured study subjects to have a blood relative who had suffered the same injury, suggesting that genetics are at least partially responsible for the strength of the ligament.

The same COL1A1 gene has also been linked to other soft-tissue injuries, like Achilles-tendon ruptures and shoulder dislocations. In a review article that combined the results of multiple studies on the COL1A1 gene, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2010, researchers concluded that those with the TT genotype—one of three potential variants of the gene, found only in 5 percent of the population—are extremely unlikely to suffer a traumatic ligament or tendon injury.

However, because of the vast complexity of the human genome, it’s highly improbable that a single variant within a gene can determine a person’s genetic risk for a given soft-tissue injury. Researchers agree it’s much more likely that these injuries, like complex conditions such as obesity or type 2 diabetes, are influenced by multiple genes.

The COL5A1 gene, another one associated with collagen production, has been linked to a higher risk of injury of the ACL and Achilles tendon, as well as greater susceptibility to exercise-induced muscle cramping. A 2013 study in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine found that specific variants of COL5A1 were strongly correlated with muscle cramping among runners in the Two Oceans Marathon in South Africa.

Back