Michael Mann, what happened to you, bruh?

The only great thing in Miami Vice is the sound of the .50 cal

Don't act like this

I thought we were just having a fun conversation

I never said the film was a masterpiece, you know what I said.

Well, I'd say you changed the tenor when you said I was acting like a little bitch and attacked me for "not being open-minded."

But we can get things back on track. It sounds like ultimately it just comes down to a difference in taste.

Well, I'd say you changed the tenor when you said I was acting like a little bitch and attacked me for "not being open-minded."

But we can get things back on track. It sounds like ultimately it just comes down to a difference in taste.

Yeah I guess I felt too casual when talking to you

You're right and I apologize

The only great thing in Miami Vice is the sound of the .50 cal

I definitely enjoyed it at the time but never felt compelled to revisit. I also distinctly remember seeing it with my dad and my brother when my dad and I were visiting him in graduate school. They both hated it and I think they were pissed at my for suggesting it...

Mann is legit.

The Insider. Loved it. Crowe kills it. Plummer/Pacino- legends. Phillip Baker Hall is no slouch either.

One of my favorite scenes:

In what way do you think it UNIQUELY affected him, and why? Furthermore, why do you think that his films tend to put their digital nature out there on full display whereas others conceal that nature? Is it the specific cameras that he's using or unusual camera settings, or something else?
He is studying the form.

The convenience enumerated above simplified the directorial process for those small of vision, which, combined with the backlash against the "soap opera" effect, resulted in a momentary imperative for digital to assume the appearance of film, notably with grain and mimicking FPS rate. However, both filming and viewing have evolved past the desire for grain, in preference to crystal clear verisimilitude. What happened to movies was a Judd Apatow llike explosion of improv type performance pieces, which eventually started to look indistinguishable from bona fide well made cinema. Here's where television took over, because tv had the good sense to stick to form, now with the benefit of digital technology.

All the while Michael Mann continues to explore the reaches of digital as its own look, independent of film and crystal clear aesthetics. Analogous to paint styles: it's photorealism vs avant garde as filtered through Mann's story sensibilities, which are also monstrously prodigious.

Here's the thing
giphy.gif

You mean this thing? Right here?

Public Enemies wasn't that bad was it? I remember not loving it, but I didn't think it was terrible.
I didt like it when it 1st came out, but I watched it the other night and it wasnt to bad, great shootouts

Stephen Graham is a straight killa y'all.

Oh look!

200w.gif

I consider his prime further back from the arc you listed.

The Last of the Mohicans
Heat
The Insider
Ali
Collateral

I view Collateral as the obvious descent into mediocrity which now defines how films. I consider this period to comprise his best work, and work which was quite unique and impressive:

Thief
Manhunter
The Last of the Mohicans
Heat

Those four also track an impressive surge in technical expertise for him as a director, although personally, Mohicans is my favorite of all his films and amongst my favorite of all films, period.

The later films were definitely more conventional I'v agree, more dependant on the quality of the script but unlike say Ridley Scott who's arguably been at that level post Legend Mann didn't seem to get the consistently of craft post Miami Vice.

@TheRuthlessOne, due to your enthusiasm I am going to finish Miami Vice and give it an honest chance.

It may take me a day or two but I'll get through it.

What film are you going to rewatch today and make a thread about?

I suggest continue the Mann-athon and watch Manhunter.

What film are you going to rewatch today and make a thread about?

I suggest continue the Mann-athon and watch Manhunter.

That actually wouldn't be a rewatch. Never did get to Manhunter. One of the few Mann films I have not seen.

That actually wouldn't be a rewatch. Never did get to Manhunter. One of the few Mann films I have not seen.

Jesus!

Get on it.

You'll see Brian Cox give the definitive Hannibal performance with the back drop of 80s chic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back