Michael Mann, what happened to you, bruh?

giphy.gif

The film was pitifully written - Depp's "portrayal" of Dillinger was essentially reduced to some stares and constantly saying his own name.
The thing that struck me is that everything Dillinger said sounded like something a bald-face villain would say, but everything from context, mood, reaction, to music played it like he was telling her the sweetest thing.

"YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!!!"

"Oh, Johnny!"

<{1-10}>

Last night I re-watched Heat; tonight I thought I'd give Miami Vice another go.

I saw Miami Vice when it was first released and was underwhelmed. But I thought, hell, let's give it another shot and see if my opinion has changed.

Bros, this fucking movie is not good. I got about 40 minutes in and was like, holy shit, I can't do it. I can't keep going with this thing.

The story is uninteresting and, at times, borderlined incoherent. The cinematography is ugly and excessively digital-looking. And the performances are often surprisingly bad, considering the talent involved.

It's just not good. I tried to give it another chance and that was a waste of time. My initial instincts were correct.

And it also got me to thinking about Michael Mann's career. Let's just look at his run during the 90s and early 00s:

The Last of the Mohicans
Heat
The Insider
Ali
Collateral

The only weak link there is Ali and even it was a pretty good film, even if it couldn't hang with the rest in that list.

So just how in the fuck do you go from those films to making Miami Vice, Public Enemies and Blackhat? Not sure about you guys, but I don't consider ANY of those three to be good movies. And it's amazing that the same guy who made movies like Thief and Heat and The Insider also made these fucking things.

What's the deal? Why did Michael Mann become a shitty director? Anyone have theories on this?

Definitely agree that Miami Vice sucked. I mostly blame Colin Farrell. I think he fucking sucks.

for Collateral alone he can get a pass for me

that movie is phenomenal

No director hits em all out of the park. I use the rule of 5. Did the guy do 5 really good movies? Mann did that.
1. Heat
2. Last of The Mohicans
3. Collateral
4. Thief
5. The Insider
I will also add Manhunter and The Keep.

Public Enemies is watchable, Miami Vice is not imo.

I've never been able to sit through all of Miami Vice either, it sucks.

I said the same about your mother, but that was praise.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

THE MANN TURNS 75 today!

27628587_10154853328035904_3488073725065550873_o.jpg

Just fucking do it, like I fucking tell you, as many fucking times as I fucking tell you fuckers.

Last edited:
All right @Peteyandjia and @TheRuthlessOne, I really want to watch this movie all the way through and give it a fair shot so I'm restarting it.

Last time I tapped out around the 40 minute mark but this time I intend to stick with it, hell or high water.

Back