Turkey, the Kurds, and Syria(Kurds Reach Afrin Deal with Syrian Government Forces)

Nope u.s troops will pull back to safer zones and the turks will allow the kurds to get bombed same as the russian forces there just did

That said lets see how the turkish army and the allied rebel forces deal with afrin...the area is a natural fortress of hills and mountain areas so isnt easy for any force on earth let alone a mismash one whos command just underwent a cleanout after a coup !

Nobody gives a shit about the Kurds unless it's to fight Terrorists (IS) or unloved dictators (Saddam).
The Kurds (esp. YPG) lack the political power to be able to gain meaningful allies.
Iran might send the Kurds some weapons in order to fuck with Erdogan.

Finally someone that acknowledges the ties between PKK/YPG and their attacks on civilians. The KRG and Turkey were close allies. They were landlocked and Turkey was the only country that gave them access to international markets to sell their oil. They made billions of dollars together. KRG even blockaded YPG in Syria and refused to trade with them. Last I heard the relationship fell apart when Barzani or whoever it was tried the Kurdish referendum vote which basically the entire world told them not to do.

Kurds everywhere seem to have Öcalan pictures. Its so creepy. What is up with that part of the world and their cult of personality. Erdogan, Gulen, Öcalan etc.

The US is doing the same thing, setting up military bases in Rojava with no intention of leaving anytime soon. It will use ISIS and Iran as an excuse long after they are gone while the threat of Kurdish terrorism will continue in the near and distant future for turkey and having the YPG on their border will only exacerbate the problem. Turkey doesn't just kill as many Kurds as they can, if they are captured they are sent to Turkey and put on trial. However bullshit their courts may be these days its better than dying. Turkey has no intention of pushing into Iraq, that is just Erdogan saying ridiculous things and pandering to his base. The extent of Turkeys incursions into Iraq so far have been airstrikes on the PKK there.

See the green on the bottom of the map at the Iraqi and Syrian border? That's where US troops and Rebels are. if any Syrian forces come within 50 meters of the their base there they get bombed. How long is the US going to occupy that area? They already occupy the entire area north of the Euphrates. The amount of territory that Turkey is going to end up occupying is nothing compared to the US.
Syrian_Civil_War_map.svg

When Turkey occupies places they remove the native population and fill it with Turks. It will not simply be an army base.

Turkey seems to be trying to take advantage of both sides so that it can get its demands met but who knows what goes on in Erdogans head...

I think Turkey would never voluntarily leave NATO

It's not just Turkey. Russia is playing both sides as well. They have deals for oil pipelines through Turkey, and Kurdish areas.

It seems to me that if we continue to push for a autonomous Syrian Kurdish area, we drive Turkey into Russia's arms.

It's all a double edged sword though. If we lose Turkey as an ally, we can gain one in Kurdistan, while also finally letting Iraq deslove into 3 different states like it should be.

The downside, is that this would likely lead to war throughout the ME, and possibly WWIII.

It's obvious that the US holds Saudi and Israeli interests higher than Turkeys, which is staying to counter Iranian influence in Syria. This after making promise after promise to Turkey that their involvement with YPG was only going to be brief, that they would soon reclaim US weapons after the "mission was done" and so on.

You think the US would accept an ally training and equipping Al-Qaeda linked organisations along the Mexican border, even if it was for a greater geopolitical aim? Of course not. The US went all the way to Afghanistan to hinder their enemy having a free zone there. This is what is happening in northern Syria in the eyes of Turkey, whether you agree with it or not.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't give a fuck about the Kurds. All I need to know, is if we help, how much that barrel of oil hitting for? If it doesn't affect oil prices, let them have cake.

They've been an ally of ours for some time. We have a good relationship with them. It would look awful internationally if we turned our back on them.

It's not just Turkey. Russia is playing both sides as well. They have deals for oil pipelines through Turkey, and Kurdish areas.

It seems to me that if we continue to push for a autonomous Syrian Kurdish area, we drive Turkey into Russia's arms.

It's all a double edged sword though. If we lose Turkey as an ally, we can gain one in Kurdistan, while also finally letting Iraq deslove into 3 different states like it should be.

The downside, is that this would likely lead to war throughout the ME, and possibly WWIII.
Russia/Syrian Government has deals with with the SDF to trade oil since no other countries are going to help them sell it. The Turkey-Russia pipeline is just an energy trading deal. Doesn't Russia supply Europe with oil already? Everyone plays everyone in this war. Everyone bought oil from ISIS when they were the only ones selling it even when they were fighting at the same time. Afrin trades oil with HTS, etc.

I doubt the US would push for an official autonomous Kurdish region. That will be up to negotiations between the Syrian Government and Rojava. Turkey won't tolerate any autonomous regions on its border so they will have to be some distance from turkey. It is akin to the rumored deal the Syrian Government proposed to Afrin a few days ago where the YPG could continue administrating Afrin but all the surrounding area would be handed over to the Government. It was refused obviously. I think thats the most likely scenario for Kurdish autonomy if it happens.

Turkey won't be pushed into Russia's arms because the Syrian Kurds won't receive the level of support necessary for that to happen. Thats why the US has not backed places like Afrin. they know there is a line. Operation Olive Branch has shown that Turkey is not bluffing and they want to use it as a bargaining chip in gaining concessions from the US. It's a matter of how much they budge if at all. Choosing Kurdistan over Turkey is a terrible decision. Kurdistan is much weaker economically, militarily and politically. It would be surrounded by hostile neighbors and be landlocked.

They've been an ally of ours for some time. We have a good relationship with them. It would look awful internationally if we turned our back on them.
So has Turkey and supporting the PKK, an organization with know ties to terrorism in Turkey, in the face of the interests of a NATO ally would also look bad internationally since it would signal that the US would throw its ally's interests under the bus and jeopardize their national security for our own interests.

So has Turkey and supporting the PKK, an organization with know ties to terrorism in Turkey, in the face of the interests of a NATO ally would also look bad internationally since it would signal that the US would throw its ally's interests under the bus and jeopardize their national security for our own interests.

Turkey has been acting up for the last few years. Obama metaphorically gave them the finger when he supported the kurds at kobani when Turkey refused.

Turkey has been acting up for the last few years. Obama metaphorically gave them the finger when he supported the kurds at kobani when Turkey refused.
So yeah, again it shows the US cares more about its regional interests than the national security of its allies. Definitely a bad look.

Turkish Armed Forces report: 3 Turkish soldiers martyed, 30 wounded. 13 FSA martyed, 24 wounded in week of operations

Translation thanks to a Reddit user
Talks between Turkish soldiers

-Is there tunnel?

-There is no tunnel.

-Rocket Launcher?

-Neither Rocket Launcher too

-I asked about anti-tank too he says no anti-tank also.

-Where is doçka?(Degtyaryova-Şpagina Krupnokalibernıy)

-He(YPG militant) says They moved Doçka to the upper village while they are running.

RIP. What would Turkey gain from bombing this site? Might have been an accident or SDF could have stashed equipment there hoping it wouldn't be bombed.

2 Civillians in Killis injured by a rocket fired from Syria

Trump = Cucked by Turkey

The guy who ran on getting tough with our allies and enemies. On getting tough with China, Saudi Arabia and anyone else taking America for a ride.

Not helping the Kurds = no one will trust America's word. Everyone will conclude that America's word/support can not be relied upon.

The Kurds were the ones fighting ISIS, when Turkey was tacitly supporting ISIS.

If the US allows Turkey to attack the SDF, they will become more emboldened and so will other enemies of the US. America's enemies know now that if they apply pressure on the US, the US will back off.

The US really should warn Erdogan and militarily help the Kurds, but Trump is a Cuck who wants the easy way out, so nothing will happen.

Trump should fly to turkey and challenge edogay to a sword dance contest.

Google "PKK"

Turkey's territorial greed is going to be their undoing.
The Kurdish birthrate in Turkey is double the general Turkish birth rate. Kurds are the majority in the East/South Eastern Anatolia.
It would be fitting for Turkey to end up having the Kurds contest the Turks in all of Turkey.

The Kurdish birthrate in Turkey is double the general Turkish birth rate. Kurds are the majority in the East/South Eastern Anatolia.
It would be fitting for Turkey to end up having the Kurds contest the Turks in all of Turkey.

I do not see how they long term forever hold those areas not with the type of ethno-nationalism erdogan has. If he was just only pro Islam and stuck with islam anti black creed and treatement against non muslims he would be fine but he has to stick it to all non turks to. I swore i read he told armenians to go to hell once.

HOw the Kurds piss off the Turks so badly, the Turks are risking USA involvement against them?
Via terrorism and separatism.
I do not see how they long term forever hold those areas not with the type of ethno-nationalism erdogan has. If he was just only pro Islam and stuck with islam anti black creed and treatement against non muslims he would be fine but he has to stick it to all non turks to. I swore i read he told armenians to go to hell once.
Erdogan and the AKP actually win the Kurdish vote pretty consistently. The Kurds basically have to choose between the AKP or the Turkish nationalists since the Kurdish nationalist party is like their equivalent of our Green or Libertarian parties; protest vote parties. He pushed out the military, which targeted Kurds for forced disappearances in the 90s, and even improved Kurdish rights in the country initially by opening up more space for the Kurdish language. The Syrian conflict has strained his relationship with the Kurdish electorate but I bet many still back him as the lesser of evils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back