Is Florida really a toilet?

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Florida has a terrible rap. Bizarre crimes are constantly happening there, they were recently voted worst place to live, and they seem to always be the but of the joke.

I've only been once and that was Miami for a week and i flew out of ft Lauderdale. I could never live in Miami but I doubt that's a good representation of the state.

I ask because it sounds like a great state on paper. No state income tax, low property tax, and my entire state goes there to retire. (Ny)

So which is it bros? Shit hole or promise land ?

Also where are best areas ? Criteria is lowest crime. Near the ocean. Most tolerable weather. Decent assortment of restaurants and stores. Least amount of tourists the better

Wife and I would literally save 25-30k per year there. Cash. In our pocket.

Last edited:
I live in Florida. It's not bad... just too humid in the summer.

Incredibly beautiful place with some dark spots like anywhere. Grew up there and feel lucky as shit for it. Tolls are murder. Amazingly good family owned pizzerias and delicatessen from all you Yankees coming down and setting up shop

Haha... It's the poor rural areas responsible for that rap. And there's some interesting people to say the least. The same could be said for other rural southern communities, even some up north too. Florida is just an easy target for some reason.

However, I like going to Destin and Sarasota. There's hardly any better beaches in the US outside of Hawaii. I'd love to live off an intercoastal in Sarasota, with a bay boat and boat house.

Incredibly beautiful place with some dark spots like anywhere. Grew up there and feel lucky as shit for it. Tolls are murder. Amazingly good family owned pizzerias and delicatessen from all you Yankees coming down and setting up shop

Agreed about the tolls... Jesus F'ing Christ. With some of the swampland around, it's hard to take alternate routes there, unlike the tolls roads here for example.

I also need to take 2-3 weeks off and lounge around the Keys.

It's a weird state. Every county feels different. Some areas are full of nothing but old people/retirees. Some areas full of rednecks and trash. Some full of Cuban immigrants. Some full of tourists.

I like Florida but it's an odd state and it depends on where you go. I visited my grandparents in a little spot called Inglewood and it was really peaceful. Go 30 miles from there and that may not be the case.

If you have money any of the 57 states can be nice. It comes down to preferences in weather and surroundings(you want beaches, woods, buildings, etc) Personally, the humidity in Florida would be too much for me, but I suppose some people don’t mind it or get used to it.

I from the UK and been to Florida afew times , touring around the likes of Orlando , Miami , Sarasota , Naples ,etc..
seemed like a high quality place to me. Good quality roads , good weather , tons of restaurants , good quality houses ,etc..

I imagine there are crime hotspots but overall it seemed good.

I grew up in the West Palm Beach area. It was nice with a mix of cultures. My in laws have a place in Fort Myers which is nice as well. That said, we drove through the entire state several times and there are a lot of shithole areas.

People that try to pigeonhole an entire state or region are idiots. Ironically, it's the people that act like they are so well-traveled that do that.

From Tampa, and lived all around. Its decent. Nothing too great or horrible imo. Great food though. So many legit Latin and Caribbean joints.

Horribly drivers though. Soo many people from all different parts of the country, all driving like the places they are from.

If you have money any of the 57 states can be nice. It comes down to preferences in weather and surroundings(you want beaches, woods, buildings, etc) Personally, the humidity in Florida would be too much for me, but I suppose some people don’t mind it or get used to it.

I want to visit the 7 states I don't know about. They seem nice.

Counting down the day till I move to Clearwater. All the interesting/crazy stuff is just a positive. as long as my immediate neighbors aren't insane who cares.

I absolutely love being able to walk out to a creek and not know if I will see a released wild boa, alligator, etc. The wildlife is fascinating. I also prefer it to be 90+ degrees every day of the year. Also love storms.

I went to Florida twice in my teens, and certain areas of the state seemed utopic.

I'm sure like everywhere else, once you live there for a while, you start to see the negative aspects of it. But I loved it when I was there.

The reptile problem is concerning, though.

Florida is a weird place but isn’t all bad or anything like that. I think a lot of the running jokes come from a mix of large population (to produce many weirdos), some legit goofball migration patterns, and expectations vs reality. People want to move to Florida with cheap coastal property and perfect weather in mind and find out that on their savings/income they’re going to live in an overcrowded housing development inland and that 95 degrees and humid every day is nice and miserable.

its second biggest shithole in the US, first the cockroach infested shithole of NYC, then the deranged idiotic Florida shithole and the horrible no future shithole of Detroit

the warm weather attracts lowlifes and the homeless. lots of drugs all throughout the state as well. not a good combination.

Good spots, bad spots. Anyplace inland is horrific and so are the towns in between the big cities. Just stay the fuck away from inland Florida unless you have neck tattoos or a kid at age 17.

low property tax, and my entire state goes there to retire. (Ny)

Was talking to my 2nd wife about it the other day. She's looking to buy a house near Boca Raton. Price of the House itself didn't seem outrageous compared to Houston, but the HOA was $650 per Month! $7800 per year, just for HOA! Their property and School tax were higher, as well insurance.

Back