Fifty SpaceX Falcon BFR could technically enable sustainable orbital colonies for 2 million people

yep we should, why the mars colony is important.

NO, that is the wrong outlook.

It is more within our power to fix Earth than it is to make Mars a planet that can support life. We can't even fix Detroit and you want us to engineer a planet from a barren wasteland with no breathable oxygen or drinkable water.

If you want to fix Earth and then look for other options, I'm game.

This leaving Earth and making pretend we have back up options out there is just a tremendously irresponsible, selfish, and short term view.

It is more within our power to fix Earth than it is to make Mars a planet that can support life. We can't even fix Detroit and you want us to engineer a planet from a barren wasteland with no breathable oxygen or drinkable water.

This leaving Earth and making pretend we have back up options out there is just a tremendously irresponsible, selfish, and short term view.

Exactly. They have already given up on this planet and are just reaching in the dark.

its not a waste, its a fantastic idea to get some stress off earth.
Unless we can launch 1+ billion people into space imediately, there will be no relief on earths resources. Not to mention we'll have to continue sending them up resources from earth every single flight indefinitely.

While I think we're about to embark on the largest engineering achievement in history, I also believe it may be the most retarded.

Unless we can send people into space and they lose ALL dependence on us earthlings this is just going to be an expensive voyage with no end in sight

Exactly. They have already given up on this planet and are just reaching in the dark.

It's worse than that even, a lot of them just have selfish fantasies about space travel.

They would forsake Earth to fulfill their personal Star Wars dreams.

It's worse than that even, a lot of them just have selfish fantasies about space travel.

I agree with everything you said. Like people were saying about Musk launching a car into space. I keep hearing how it will get kids interested in science and all this. Fantasy. Musk wants to be buried on Mars. So therefore he must use our taxpayer money to fulfill that ego of his. Elon Musk must die on Mars or we must find a way to get his corpse up there. We just must do that.

Not content to be the richest person in a cemetery. The richest person in a Mars cemetery.

sorry but what are we suppsoe to do? You want us to just stay on 1 planet? Its time we start now to look at the future for mankind.
But since you insist let's just dump another 500B into defense, might help

Maybe we can create a white ethnostate in space and fire all the Trumpsters into orbit.

No you have the wrong outlook. We should look at ensuring we people aka mankind survives instead of staying on Earth, there is more possibility then your idea of wasting time on earth and not investing heavily on science and space development.

sorry but what are we suppsoe to do? You want us to just stay on 1 planet? Its time we start now to look at the future for mankind.
But since you insist let's just dump another 500B into defense, might help

Let me know when you find a planet capable of supporting human life today and then I'll be more open to investing in an expedition.

Again, we don't even have the onus to improve our own cities that are on this planet and you want me to make pretend we can terraform Mars anytime soon?

No you have the wrong outlook. We should look at ensuring we people aka mankind survives instead of staying on Earth, there is more possibility then your idea of wasting time on earth and not investing heavily on science and space development.

At this point in time the only place in this universe mankind can survive is right fucking here bucko.

How about we work on terraforming Earth before we make pretend we can terraform Mars from scratch?

Let's get out there and colonize some shit already.
I am of the opposite sentiment. I hope humans never colonize other planets, cause we will fcuk it up.

Imagine if a bunch of humans left earth, and assuming constant contact with earth, you will still find that in a few hundred years these humans on Planet XYZ will consider themselves distinct from earthlings and consequently both planets will see each other with suspicion and as adversaries.

At this point in time the only place in this universe mankind can survive is right fucking here bucko.

How about we work on terraforming Earth before we make pretend we can terraform Mars from scratch?

and you're wrong there are other planets out there for us to colonize. While your playing in your coloring book an crying about finding way to solve how we can clog up earth which we already have
some people are looking at way to to mine new untapped recorces in space an looking for new places for man to colonize bucko. This is why we need more money in science and space development. What we dont need is people like you holding us back.

and you're wrong there are other planets out there for us to colonize. While your playing in your coloring book an crying about finding way to solve how we can clog up earth which we already have
some people are looking at way to to mine new untapped recorces in space an looking for new places for man to colonize bucko.

There are no planets within out flight range that can support human life today that we know of.

Seems like a waste of fuel and resources at this point.

We stll have plenty of space on Earth.

I'd rather focus on energy on making Earth livable and sustainable for all life as long as we can rather than treat space as a do over because we fucked up here so badly.

That's an interesting view to me. Do you feel like we should dedicate all of our resources to clean energy? Your argument that space should be ignored because clean energy and taking care of the planet is more important could be used as an equally effective argument against anything else we dedicate resources to.

Space could also potentially help to take care of earth...

"How do you protect planet Earth? "By going into outer space," Bezos told Mossberg Tuesday. What he meant was something "slightly more measured" than Elon Musk's idea of building colonies on Mars, as Recodenoted in a post about Bezos's comments.

The executive who started his business selling books said activities that require the most energy should be performed in space, in order to leave Earth clean and habitable for humans.

"Earth will be zoned residential and light industrial. You shouldn't be doing heavy energy on Earth. We can build gigantic chip factories in space," he said."

https://www.inc.com/tess-townsend/bezos-golden-era.html

I am of the opposite sentiment. I hope humans never colonize other planets, cause we will fcuk it up.

Imagine if a bunch of humans left earth, and assuming constant contact with earth, you will still find that in a few hundred years these humans on Planet XYZ will consider themselves distinct from earthlings and consequently both planets will see each other with suspicion and as adversaries.

It's a big universe. Might as well explore it.

There are no planets within out flight range that can support human life today that we know of.

thats why we found multiple earth like planets that we can colonize. And we could terra form mars and create moon citys? Again you clearly have no idea what you're talking about an only have interest ensure we destroy ourselves.

We go into space we might find ways to help take care of our earth. i agree this is our home we need to learn to be more efficient in our ways. Space is one major way of helping with this

thats why we found multiple earth like planets that we can colonize. And we could terra form mars and create moon citys? Again you clearly have no idea what you're talking about an only have interest ensure we destroy ourselves.

We go into space we might find ways to help take care of our earth. i agree this is our home we need to learn to be more efficient in our ways. Space is one major way of helping with this

We've located Earth-like planets billions of miles away, but we have no evidence to confirm whether or not they're capable of supporting human life, or if they even have water or atmospheres. We've located planets like ours nears stars like ours at similar distances from those stars, but again we have no evidence to support whether or not they're capable of supporting life and they're well beyond our range.

At this point in time, humans traveling to and landing on Mars is just a theory, let alone some other planet light years away.

We have no ability or technology to terraform Earth, let alone a planet that is millions and billions of miles away. It's a fantasy at this point

If we can't terraform Earth while we're already here we're not going to be able to terraform an alien planet billions of miles away.

We've located Earth-like planets billions of miles away, but we have no evidence to confirm whether or not they're capable of supporting human life, or if they even have water or atmospheres. We've located planets like ours nears stars like ours at similar distances from those stars, but again we have no evidence to support whether or not they're capable of supporting life and they're well beyond our range.

At this point in time, humans traveling to and landing on Mars is just a theory, let alone some other planet light years away.

We have no ability or technology to terraform Earth, let alone a planet that is millions and billions of miles away. It's a fantasy at this point

If we can't terraform Earth while we're already here we're not going to be able to terraform an alien planet billions of miles away.

Good is time we need to get there and invest in space tech and start mastering the stars, there is no other way to go besides up.

Good is time we need to get there and invest in space tech and start mastering the stars, there is no other way to go besides up.

Why can't we fix Detroit and our climate and ecosystems first?

Provide a proof of concept and then I'll be more willing to entertain the idea. At this point in time we don't have a fucking clue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back