Getting stacked during triangle

Spaghetta

Taps too early
@White
Reaction score
Hey all, from what I've seen the best way to stop yourself from getting stacked while trying to leg triangle is just to walk your shoulders back, or release your triangle and try to use your feet to push your opponent back. Does anyone have any tips for me to finish triangles? I'm having a real hard time with it. Thanks

You need to turn and hook the opponents leg. Ex. I have my right leg across the opp's neck and their right arm trapped in the triangle. I need to shift my hips to my right and hook the opp's left leg with my right arm. You should be far enough to the right to look inside the opp's ear. This will make the triangle tighter, avoid slams, give you a good angle for the armbar and give you a sweep if the continue trying to stack you. A good angle to the side on a triangle will solve a lot of problems.

You need to turn and hook the opponents leg. Ex. I have my right leg across the opp's neck and their right arm trapped in the triangle. I need to shift my hips to my right and hook the opp's left leg with my right arm. You should be far enough to the right to look inside the opp's ear. This will make the triangle tighter, avoid slams, give you a good angle for the armbar and give you a sweep if the continue trying to stack you. A good angle to the side on a triangle will solve a lot of problems.

My coach told me I wanted to be straight ahead of them for some reason, I'll give this a shot and also ask him about it. Thanks!

My coach told me I wanted to be straight ahead of them for some reason, I'll give this a shot and also ask him about it. Thanks!

Being straight in front of him is highly inefficient, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, is just not the best way to d it.

Also, if you are getting stacked, you need to make a frame, with your dorarnos, this will allow you to shoulder walk faster (he will be pushing you) then when you are in. A good position, lock it. Then Hook a leg, out the armpit of your opponent and lock it up.

watch Ryan halls triangle dvd, it’s gold.

Being straight in front of him is highly inefficient, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, is just not the best way to d it.

Also, if you are getting stacked, you need to make a frame, with your dorarnos, this will allow you to shoulder walk faster (he will be pushing you) then when you are in. A good position, lock it. Then Hook a leg, out the armpit of your opponent and lock it up.

watch Ryan halls triangle dvd, it’s gold.

If you are in front of your opponent and you are getting stacked, the issue is not that you are in front of him. It is that you are too close to him. There is no one way or the "best way" to execute a technique in jiu jitsu; only the best way to fit your body and your game.

If you are in front of your opponent and you are getting stacked, the issue is not that you are in front of him. It is that you are too close to him. There is no one way or the "best way" to execute a technique in jiu jitsu; only the best way to fit your body and your game.

That’s what i said, you need to make a frame and shoulder walk...

I just made a reference that being square in front of your opponent is highly inefficient, and it is, you need to use your abductors to finish the triangle, no matter what your body type is, you will always be better at getting a 90 degree angle...

As someone with stumpy legs who loves the triangle, IMO the stacking problem is usually a setup problem. People will tell you to shoulder walk and what not, but usually the bigger problem is that you have not broken down your opponent into the triangle correctly and that is why he is smashing you.

The main issue I see is not using your foot on the hip to stretch the guy out before the lock. Then once the lock is on, not using the foot on the hip to rotate to the side so you can lock a tight finish. People don’t like to work that intermediate stage without the triangle closed. Instead people rush to snap closed a shitty and loose lock, without controlling their opponent, and that’s when you get ants. And stacking.

I like most of your vids, but this one particularly i don’t. While what you say it’s true, once your stacked your legs become weak and it’s actually impossible to lock up the triangle, The concept it’s more important as a set up phase, we can say when you have something like diamond guard (triangle lock on your calf) not once you got it fully locked. If you have a fully locked triangle, The stacking isn’t that relevant, all you need to do is hook an arm/leg and get perpendicular, also, your squeeze is very important. If you concentrate too much in keeping the 90 degree by using your hips, your always going to stay square infront, that is just not a good idea in terms of sd, or competitions where slams are allow

Last edited:
That’s what i said, you need to make a frame and shoulder walk...

I just made a reference that being square in front of your opponent is highly inefficient, and it is, you need to use your abductors to finish the triangle, no matter what your body type is, you will always be better at getting a 90 degree angle...

We get it, you saw that Ryan hall dvd clip on YouTube. Not everyone has the body type like Ryan, and not everyone’s optimal entry is like Ryan’s. For some people (usually ones with short thick legs) the best entry’s are to be in front of their opponent and not perpendicular like Ryan.

Your regurgitatation of a clip of an old Ryan hall dvd ignores that.

Anyway for the ts. Renzo shows some solutions.

Bjj rage

Sine you are saying things like

no matter what your body type is, you will always be better at getting a 90 degree angle...

I assume you Have knowledge of teaching for a significant amount of time to a vast number of people or have trained with a vast amount of people for a long time.

What people are saying about cutting the angle is true... Mostly.

I always cut the angle, and generally have success, but sometimes -particularly in the gi - I still run in to problems with people basically using a paper cutter choke and stack to force me to give up the triangle.

I'll angle to the side and under hook the arm/leg, then they use their free forearm to crush my throat and stack me, then once I release my legs, they pass to that side.

I'm still yet to come up with a solid solution to this.

#WhiteBeltProblems

Hey all, from what I've seen the best way to stop yourself from getting stacked while trying to leg triangle is just to walk your shoulders back, or release your triangle and try to use your feet to push your opponent back. Does anyone have any tips for me to finish triangles? I'm having a real hard time with it. Thanks
Switch to a wrist lock, the wrist is fully exposed, unless he hooks your outer leg, then go to Kimura. But the wrist is still there... Wrist locks are extremely under utilized and legal for blue belts and above.

People don’t like to work that intermediate stage without the triangle closed. Instead people rush to snap closed a shitty and loose lock,
You can lock up a sjitts triangle sk long as you are already thinking about the adjustments you'll need to make to finish or to sweep.
Triangles are the most basic move that i see being performed and taught poorly

Bjj rage

Sine you are saying things like

I assume you Have knowledge of teaching for a significant amount of time to a vast number of people or have trained with a vast amount of people for a long time.

as a matter of fact, yes, 9 years as a grappler, Ive been teaching for 4 years to a vast number of people, am 5'7 and my triangle is my main weapon.

wtf do you think Ive been doing these 9 years? playing chess in the gym?

Last edited:
We get it, you saw that Ryan hall dvd clip on YouTube. Not everyone has the body type like Ryan, and not everyone’s optimal entry is like Ryan’s. For some people (usually ones with short thick legs) the best entry’s are to be in front of their opponent and not perpendicular like Ryan.

Your regurgitatation of a clip of an old Ryan hall dvd ignores that.

Anyway for the ts. Renzo shows some solutions.

really? so you trying to descredit me because I follow ryans way?

actually if you have shorter thicker legs, its even more important to get perpendicular, the shorter and thicker your legs are, the more you need to get perpendicular.

all renzo shows is that you need to shoulder walk until you have the right distance to lock it up... which I agree.

Now, saying for some people staying square is better is flat out wrong, if you can lock it up square, you can do it by getting an 90 angle, if you can get the angle, the pressure you can create from the lock is much more, you dont need to pull the head down, and no one is stacking you, never mind you cant get slam.

So now, would you be so kind naming on what are benefits of staying square.

Last edited:

actually if you have shorter thicker legs, its even more important to get perpendicular, the shorter and thicker your legs are, the more you need to get perpendicular.

all renzo shows is that you need to shoulder walk until you have the right distance to lock it up... which I agree.

Now, saying for some people staying square is better is flat out wrong, if you can lock it up square, you can do it by getting an 90 angle, if you can get the angle, the pressure you can create from the lock is much more, you dont need to pull the head down, and no one is stacking you, never mind you cant get slam.

So now, would you be so kind on naming on what are benefits of staying square.

I'm very tall (6'4") and have long legs. I agree with what you say. When inworj with people on their triangles, they getnso much better when they underhook the near leg, or even better the far hip.

So now, would you be so kind naming on what are benefits of staying square.

No I'm not trying to discredit youbfor following ryans way. I am saying however that regurgitating him (without giving him credit btw) does not make one way the only way.

It's about what fits your game. Not about the one best way. You have been given two examples by two respected black belts, one of them being legendary. Yet you want to just regurgitate Ryan's words like they are dogma.

What part of there are more ways than one to finish a triangle do you not get?

Back