ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Loooool. Who writes this stuff? Let's send a team to some life threatening place. If they don't come back, let's send women to ensure success. Brilliant! Why didn't the US military use this brilliant strategy when men didn't come back from barrages of gunfire in armed conflicts. I think we've hit the bottom of the barrel when it comes to story writing
...You've never read the book. Frankly, you've no idea what you're talking about. And the fact that book doesnt fit your narrative about gender equality and the like means you need to switch to your opinion about the story telling...about a movie and a book you've never seen or read.

give.up.

I don't recall the exact set up exposition on the ride in.
It's all sort of thrown at you and the film moves on.
What was implied?
I'm sure I missed something.

To me, if it was collaborative, it raises just as many questions.
I’m pretty sure he was depicted as an eccentric genius akin to Jobs, Musk, Stark who built a giant Tech company. This was a opportunity for a nerd to rub elbows/impress with him at this secluded retreat. Everything was perfectly in tune with a sci-fi movie like this. It was just too obvious and the cast was second rate all around.

Pretty much, lets be realistic theres no shortage of male action hero roles on film and TV, they still make up the vast majority.

I don't care for an all female cast. What bothers me is when politics (social justice warrioring) influence story writing to a point where it has priority over the story's coherence. Let's be honest. How many women have you seen in combat roles in real life? Moreover, if a team disappears from the face of the Earth. What would your next options be? Send an all-female team? How ridiculous can you be? Even if it's sci-fi. Sci fi by definition is supposed to approach reality. This ones approaches comedy

...You've never read the book. Frankly, you've no idea what you're talking about. And the fact that book doesnt fit your narrative about gender equality and the like means you need to switch to your opinion about the story telling...about a movie and a book you've never seen or read.

give.up.

What do you mean I don't know what I'm talking about? Empty words bruv, empty words. You are the one who hasn't seen combat zones lol. And therefore you are the one misplaced to talk about women in combat roles. Get a grip on reality man

What do you mean I don't know what I'm talking about? Empty words bruv, empty words. You are the one who hasn't seen combat zones lol. And therefore you are the one misplaced to talk about women in combat roles. Get a grip on reality man
? I didn't say anything about women in combat zone, nor do these characters, as scientists, have anything to do with a combat zone. The characters arent in a combat zone, really. You've no idea what you're talking about, lol.

I liked Ex Machina, but I saw a piece of the trailer for this and it looked like shit. Not sure how to proceed.

<{vega}>
My thoughts too. I know nothing about the book but the trailer did nothing to peak much of my interest. It just made it look like a standard sci-fi horror film. . I was already burned by Life and that disappointing aliens sequel last year. There is probably more to that and I'll trust in the director's work

Natalie Portman / Intellectual Thriller / SciFi Horror / Ex Machina director...

This is a lock that in watching this.

I’m pretty sure he was depicted as an eccentric genius akin to Jobs, Musk, Stark who built a giant Tech company. This was a opportunity for a nerd to rub elbows/impress with him at this secluded retreat. Everything was perfectly in tune with a sci-fi movie like this. It was just too obvious and the cast was second rate all around.
I liked the cast well enough.
For me it could have been fixed with a rewrite. Make the genius less of a drunk or part of a collaborative effort.
An alcoholic developing AI could maybe be believable, but developing AI and androids seems a bit much in more or less complete isolation with no help.

Loooool. Who writes this stuff? Let's send a team to some life threatening place. If they don't come back, let's send women to ensure success. Brilliant! Why didn't the US military use this brilliant strategy when men didn't come back from barrages of gunfire in armed conflicts. I think we've hit the bottom of the barrel when it comes to story writing

Legit seek mental help. Maybe Vienna

I don't care for an all female cast. What bothers me is when politics (social justice warrioring) influence story writing to a point where it has priority over the story's coherence. Let's be honest. How many women have you seen in combat roles in real life? Moreover, if a team disappears from the face of the Earth. What would your next options be? Send an all-female team? How ridiculous can you be? Even if it's sci-fi. Sci fi by definition is supposed to approach reality. This ones approaches comedy
did you read the books? there is a point to all of this. this isn't some bs pandering like ocean's 8 or what it's called.

If you were say looking at some random US army team in Afganistan then yes perhaps it being all female would be pushing credibility but to me there seems to be a strong implication that theres a reason for this team being choosen as all female so I'll wait to see the film before judging it.

I don't recall the exact set up exposition on the ride in.
It's all sort of thrown at you and the film moves on.
What was implied?
I'm sure I missed something.

To me, if it was collaborative, it raises just as many questions.

The way we saw him showing Celeb the various bodyparts to me seemed to heavily imply he wasn't actually making any of them on sight, we saw more of a storeroom for them and no evidence of the kind of equipment that would have been needed to make them.

Plus wasn't the secret behind his AI somehow linked to the collection data from his web company?

give.up.

How is the trilogy? I’ve read mixed reviews about books 2-3. I always enjoy reading a book before going to see the film/tv adaptation and Garland has always been one of my favorite directors.

How is the trilogy? I’ve read mixed reviews about books 2-3. I always enjoy reading a book before going to see the film/tv adaptation and Garland has always been one of my favorite directors.
First book is fantastic... but the author doesn’t keep the mysterious tension throughout the triology, sad to say

I think ScriptsReadsMe wanted the movie to be like Gears of War with dudes who have tree trunk size arms

Sorry but it's hard for me to take a movie seriously when they place women in combat roles. It's straight comedy lol. If you served in combat zones you'd know what I'm talking about

You act like women don't serve in combat zones.

Look at someone like Megan Leavey.

I don't wanna spoil this and I haven't read the books so someone help me out:

What can this most aptly be compared to in terms of feel/quality? The trailers have me intrigued but I honestly haven't seen one beyond 10 seconds so I know fuck-all about this movie.

Back