ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I don't wanna spoil this and I haven't read the books so someone help me out:

What can this most aptly be compared to in terms of feel/quality? The trailers have me intrigued but I honestly haven't seen one beyond 10 seconds so I know fuck-all about this movie.
It’s a sci-fi horror mystery.... best I got.

The trailer looks real interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I liked the cast well enough.
For me it could have been fixed with a rewrite. Make the genius less of a drunk or part of a collaborative effort.
An alcoholic developing AI could maybe be believable, but developing AI and androids seems a bit much in more or less complete isolation with no help.

The agents behind Isaac, Vikander, and the Muggle are the real talent. Some seriously overrrated folks getting pushed into way more work than they deserve. IMO.

The genius is in the software. The rest could be 3d printed. But now I may have to watch this movie that I didn’t like again.

You act like women don't serve in combat zones.

Look at someone like Megan Leavey.

She was an mp and dog handler lol. Trust me, there are none. Ask anyone who has been in armed conflict. When shit hits the fan, last thing you want to do is send a bunch of women lol. I know the movie is science fiction, but that's no reason to throw story coherence out the window. Women with rucksacks and M4's in life threatening situations. That's make belief

She was an mp and dog handler lol. Trust me, there are none. Ask anyone who has been in armed conflict. When shit hits the fan, last thing you want to do is send a bunch of women lol. I know the movie is science fiction, but that's no reason to throw story coherence out the window. Women with rucksacks and M4's in life threatening situations. That's make belief

Have you considered listening to some of the other posters ITT who have read the book and are telling you that the story isn't even really about that?

Have you considered listening to some of the other posters ITT who have read the book and are telling you that the story isn't even really about that?

No I have not. but seeing how recent story writers always add a hint of SJW elements, I don't expect this one to be different. It's all over. Look at Sicario and the misplaced character of Emily Blunt. New netflix series with a town ran by women because all men were killed lol. I'm sorry, but this is too much cringe for me. We'll see. I'll be sure to bump this thread after I've seen it.I have no problem admitting I was wrong if it's the case.

brb, going to Vienna

New netflix series with a town ran by women because all men were killed lol.

You're talking about Godless and the show is not about that.

It's primarily about the conflict between Jeff Daniels' character:

godless_101_unit_10577r1.jpeg

And Jack O'Connell's character:

135_godless_105_unit_07115r.jpeg

You're talking about Godless and the show is not about that.

It's primarily about the conflict between Jeff Daniels' character:

godless_101_unit_10577r1.jpeg

And Jack O'Connell's character:

135_godless_105_unit_07115r.jpeg

I don't know how I haven't checked this out yet. Daniels + Western = pure win.

righht......

rs_1024x759-171122090458-1024.godless-netflix.ch.112217.jpg

image.jpg

images

As I'm sure you know, in any TV show there are multiple plot lines and multiple characters.

I have watched the show and I'm telling you what the central/primary plotline is. If you want to reject what I'm telling you, then I don't think I can conclude that you're doing anything but trolling ITT.

I don't care for an all female cast. What bothers me is when politics (social justice warrioring) influence story writing to a point where it has priority over the story's coherence. Let's be honest. How many women have you seen in combat roles in real life? Moreover, if a team disappears from the face of the Earth. What would your next options be? Send an all-female team? How ridiculous can you be? Even if it's sci-fi. Sci fi by definition is supposed to approach reality. This ones approaches comedy

sci fi by definition approaches reality????? WTF

I cant wait to see this film. Ill get to it probably sunday

Also once said about the guy that did The Deer Hunter, the guy that did The Sixth Sense, the guy that did District 9, the guy that did Die Hard 2, the guys* that did The Matrix and the guy that did Citizen Kane.

Nobody said that about the guy who did Die Hard 2 and you know it.

Natalie Portman... Yuck. Don't care for her acting skills at all with the exception of the Darjeeling Limited where she showed off her scrawny ass.

sci fi by definition approaches reality????? WTF

Interstellar was sci-fi and everything in it was approached with careful logic. There's nothing logical about sending a team of females when your first option failed lol

You're confusing sci fi with fantasy

The chicks aren't a seal team. They're Scientists who got the go ahead mostly because of an ulterior motive.

Interstellar was sci-fi and everything in it was approached with careful logic. There's nothing logical about sending a team of females when your first option failed lol

You're confusing sci fi with fantasy

I know nothing of the story but have you considered this for a second:

The situation isn't combat. And, while dangerous, it doesn't call for any measure of force that a man could provide more of than a woman. They simply don't understand it beyond what measures have failed: a team of men and a team of men and women. Perhaps they're now considering sending only women because they have no idea why the other two teams failed. They only know there was something about the make up of those teams that initiated a reaction from something they can't understand. Deductive reason might lead them to think whatever it is only wants to interact with women.

I'm not sure why you seem to immediately think the decision in this story was made for no other reasons than to prove woman are totally equal to men and in this case more capable. But from what I'm reading that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Try watching a movie, then reacting to it. It helps with the whole "knowing what the fuck you're talking about" part of talking about things.

Back