PlayStation GOD OF WAR [2016, PS4]

enjoying it so far. dam odin is a straight up murdering ass hole so far with some of the stories I've heard so far in this game.

in God of War

5:50

This was supposed to be based on Conor McGregor's 3D Model or something?

Because to me, in face, voice, and mannerism, I'm pretty certain I can pin this down as Jeremy Davies, but with a different model for the body (or a body performance of motion to which they simply added bulk/muscle texturing). Maybe Conor was used for the body?

latest

coulda fkin timestamped it TS
Agreed. Fixed.

Yeah the "corridors" are pretty strictly enforced in this. That said that is what I was expecting so it's not too bad for me.

My bigger issue is the versatility of the combat. It's really fun when you can juggle and apply status effects to the enemies. It's less fun when they are basically walking tanks that do not react in any way to your strikes.

Minor gripes though. Overall Sony Santa Monica should be given immense credit for the evolution of this series.
I'm actually a lot more pleased with the over-the-shoulder view than I thought I would be because it allows for more precise aiming. That's a nice addition to the character action genre where even the best games have either just had their ranged weapons auto aim, or the aiming just hasn't felt very good.

I don't necessarily want a bunch of other games to follow suit or anything, but it gives this game a distinct advantage over other notable games in the genre that I don't think this series has had before. As an aside, there's a bit of a combat spoiler involving weapons below, but I've left it pretty vague.

I do wish weapon swapping was more fluid. I'd like to alternate between the axe and the second option without having to give up pressure on enemies. It'd be cool to cycle through all 4 runic attacks in one sequence.

I reached credits but there’s still so much more to do and I’m actually looking forward to it.

Hard to say this isn’t the best in their series. Santa Monica knocked a modern God of War game out of the fucking park.

The new combat system is so much fun to play around with. Sure beat hammering square, square, triangle. The juggling, the weapon swapping, runic moves, Atreus, make every encounter feel fresh with so many viable approaches.

I still don’t want to put it down.

Only gripe I had was the ending seemed pretty meh though I’m not done with a particular side quest so I’m not sure if that will give me something more.

It's not. I just checked, and indeed-- nailed it:

I was a little hesitant with them replacing Kratos’ previous voice actor but Christopher Judge was excellent. I can see why they went that way.

Nice call. I'm not very familiar with Jeremy Davies so I would've never made that connection myself.
He has an incredibly distinctive way of saying, "Oh", and a distinctive voice in general.

He also has some tendencies/ticks with his hands-- holding them up near his face, often with his index finger unfurled pointing out or up-- that are easily identifiable when he acts, but they got him to put those aside (if they in fact modeled the cutscene on a physical mocap suit performance).

Both are on full display in Justified. He's best known for Saving Private Ryan, but his most memorable and defining performance for me will always be from Soderbergh's remake of Solaris.

One thing that’s gotten me killed more than once is Krato’s recovery times on certain attacks. I can’t count how many times I’ve died due to slow Rune attacks and attacks I’m stuck in because the animation hasn’t finished. Makes it a lot more strategic.

I’dont even know how many hours I’ve been farming but did anyone else realize that
the main story enemies are MUCH easier than the farming enemies as you’re leveling up? I finished all side quests before trekking up the giant to stab Thor’s son in the face with an axe. The amount of enemies I faced was a cake walk compared to some of the islands with only 3. Hell, I still have one Traveler to kill in the lake of nine. The farming enemies are a lot more difficult IMO.

He has an incredibly distinctive way of saying, "Oh", and a distinctive voice in general.

He also has some tendencies/ticks with his hands-- holding them up near his face, often with his index finger unfurled pointing out or up-- that are easily identifiable when he acts, but they got him to put those aside (if they in fact modeled the cutscene on a physical mocap suit performance).

Both are on full display in Justified. He's best known for Saving Private Ryan, but his most memorable and defining performance for me will always be from Soderbergh's remake of Solaris.

Damn, I didn't realize he was Upham from Saving Private Ryan.

One thing that’s gotten me killed more than once is Krato’s recovery times on certain attacks. I can’t count how many times I’ve died due to slow Rune attacks and attacks I’m stuck in because the animation hasn’t finished. Makes it a lot more strategic.

I’dont even know how many hours I’ve been farming but did anyone else realize that
the main story enemies are MUCH easier than the farming enemies as you’re leveling up? I finished all side quests before trekking up the giant to stab Thor’s son in the face with an axe. The amount of enemies I faced was a cake walk compared to some of the islands with only 3. Hell, I still have one Traveler to kill in the lake of nine. The farming enemies are a lot more difficult IMO.

yeah I had a suspicious feeling about that too but I still went for the side missions first. its kinda fun fighting the tough fights and see if you can pull it off. I've beaten ones that would have 2-hit killed me. Attempted the 1-hitters but haven't managed to win one yet (but got mad close once).

yeah I had a suspicious feeling about that too but I still went for the side missions first. its kinda fun fighting the tough fights and see if you can pull it off. I've beaten ones that would have 2-hit killed me. Attempted the 1-hitters but haven't managed to win one yet (but got mad close once).

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t cheese my way to a win more than once with the one shotters. I took on 3 ice guys and it took me 45 minutes of running a round in a circle hitting them with axes throws, runic attacks and arrows. If I got anywhere near close to them I was toast. The Soul eaters are pretty easy to cheese as well. They shouldn’t have given you the option to inflict axe throw damage after they’ve fallen down but forced you to get in close and move from your cover.

I reached credits but there’s still so much more to do and I’m actually looking forward to it.

Hard to say this isn’t the best in their series. Santa Monica knocked a modern God of War game out of the fucking park.

The new combat system is so much fun to play around with. Sure beat hammering square, square, triangle. The juggling, the weapon swapping, runic moves, Atreus, make every encounter feel fresh with so many viable approaches.

I still don’t want to put it down.

Only gripe I had was the ending seemed pretty meh though I’m not done with a particular side quest so I’m not sure if that will give me something more.

Did you skip God of a War 3? While this new GOW is really good it’s not close to GOW3. That was a masterpiece.

Did you skip God of a War 3? While this new GOW is really good it’s not close to GOW3. That was a masterpiece.
Nope, played every entry in the series. Cestus is my shit but how well the variety was implemented in this game is unmatched in the series imo.

So is this worth $60 or nah?

If you liked The Last of Us and the last 2 Tomb Raider games then you'll love it. It's very story driven with non stop dialogue and gameplay interruptions. You'll be fighting a boss, which starts off fun, but then it'll cut to a automated cutscenes every 2 minutes. Can I just fucking play the game? I'm here still hitting buttons while I realize it's pointless because I'm back to watching Kratos and his enemy battle in a cutscene. Non stop interruptions.

I personally hate these types of games. I'm not shitting on this game, its just not my type of game. I love all the GoW games so I downloaded this without any research. I made a mistake. This is when I regret not buying a physical copy. I would've gave it away to someone who likes these interactive movies.

If you liked The Last of Us and the last 2 Tomb Raider games then you'll love it. It's very story driven with non stop dialogue and gameplay interruptions. You'll be fighting a boss, which starts off fun, but then it'll cut to a automated cutscenes every 2 minutes. Can I just fucking play the game? I'm here still hitting buttons while I realize it's pointless because I'm back to watching Kratos and his enemy battle in a cutscene. Non stop interruptions.

I personally hate these types of games. I'm not shitting on this game, its just not my type of game. I love all the GoW games so I downloaded this without any research. I made a mistake. This is when I regret not buying a physical copy. I would've gave it away to someone who likes these interactive movies.
Don’t listen to this post. Like at all.

Back