Measuring the power of the hardest hitting middleweights

watch out guys, we got a badass over here.
i remember when i was a kid, there was a kid who sucked about as much as i did at the time, he went around bragging that he could hit harder than one of the pros, the coach said "shit, he said that? don't tell todd he said that". Todd was a grown man, about the same weight but muscular as hell and mean, he probably woulda attacked the boy.

I would love actual numbers on boxers and mma fighters. Something like a combine test. There’s just no reason to do it in combat sports.

Weight and size matter but anthropometry is more important.

In powerlifting you have 220 pound guys out deadlifting gigantic mass monsters who weigh 100 pounds more than them. Because they’re built better for the lift.
that's right, structure, is a key variable. it's all important though, a wide span of variables.

that looks interesting, i'll look at it later. I still say it really isn't easy measuring power, too many variables so there will always be an element of mystery to the kayo blow.
It's not that hard to measure punch power these days as we have all the technology available to calculate it fairly accurately. The latest studies using velocity x effective mass have been very illuminating where power comes from and who's got it. I just wish they'd do it on all boxers like someone else mentioned and then we'd have an extra quantitative measurement to go with their stats.

This is GGG's but I'd like to see other fighters, like, say, Lemieux's left hook getting measured for destructiveness.

Yes of course I am more skilled but he can still hit like a tank. I am questioning the proverbial wisdom that lighter guys can't KO and punch as hard as some of the bigger dudes. I would be very surprised if I can't flatline him with a punch. We are about the same height and reach. He is just bigger.
Size matters. There are exceptional punchers that generate power on par with the average of a higher weightclass but an exceptional punching HW will still hit harder.

If lighter wrestlers can outwrestle power lifters, then surely technical and explosive punchers can KO bigger, stiff dudes because the lighter fighter uses his body more effectively. And a lot of heavyweights are slow punchers.
You're missing the point that it's mostly techique that's making the difference. So you'd expect a wrestler to be able to best someone who isn't as skilled even when at a size disadvantage.

The Olympics is more technique oriented due to the rules... But then again, it's the same for everyone involved.

I don't know if my hardest punch is like Julian Jackson but it's harder than Ali. I will show you in a few days.
:rolleyes: Yeah, um, just no.

Size matters. There are exceptional punchers that generate power on par with the average of a higher weightclass but an exceptional punching HW will still hit harder.

Absolutely. That's what I was saying.

Here's my jab.

Last edited:
Absoutely. That's what I was saying.

Here's my jab.

Ok then. It's possible you have natural power. Your technique doesn't look great but then again there appears to be a bed between you and your target. You need to hang that bag up in the garage or somewhere. :p

P.S. Spend a day on youtube watching Bob Foster fights. He had a nice jab you can try to emulate.

Ok then. It's possible you have natural power. Your technique doesn't look great but then again there appears to be a bed between you and your target. You need to hang that bag up in the garage or somewhere. :p

Yeah I will hang it up in front of that bed. It's not my sleeping bed anyway, just an extra one. I got the bag just now.

Read my edit in case you missed it

Thanks for the suggestion. Freakish arms on that guy! The issue I have with most of the power hitting guys historically, with the exception of Tyson, is that the rest of their game was often lacking. They were waiting around stalking their prey and eating a lot of shots before they threw a few haymakers. Earnie Shavers, for an example, incredibly boring, inactive fighter most of the fights. He said himself he was a one punch artist and lacked higher level combinations.

Thanks for the suggestion. Freakish arms on that guy! The issue I have with most of the power hitting guys historically, with the exception of Tyson, is that the rest of their game was often lacking. They were waiting around stalking their prey and eating a lot of shots before they threw a few haymakers. Earnie Shavers, for an example, incredibly boring, inactive fighter most of the fights. He said himself he was a one punch artist and lacked higher level combinations.
Study them all then put it all together the way you like. You'll learn combinations are great unless someone is smashing you with counters between your punches. :D

Although it might be hard to tell, I am using standard jab mechanics.

Power is generated by the shoulder and step-in.. All the arm does is flick out. This is the secret. My speed in the clip is nothing out of the ordinary (although I do have great hand speed, it's not on display here), nor am I particularly explosive. It's just timing and using your body intelligently. A huge benefit is that you can do this the entire match without fatigue. It is not an hand punch!

You do need strong shoulders though

Last edited:
Although it might be hard to tell, I am using standard jab mechanics.

Power is generated by the shoulder and step-in.. All the arm does is flick out. This is the secret. My speed in the clip is nothing out of the ordinary (although I do have great hand speed, it's not on display here), nor am I particularly explosive. It's just timing and using your body intelligently. A huge benefit is that you can do this the entire match without fatigue. It is not an hand punch!

You do need strong shoulders though
You're still a little green. It seems there's still a lot you don't know that you haven't learned yet. Patience grasshopper.

Looks pretty sharp to me. Straight down the pipe. No wind-up, no excessive, jerky movement. BOM! Like a Gun shot.

Last edited:
You're still a little green. It seems there's still a lot you don't know that you haven't learned yet. Patience grasshopper.

Every boxer has their own unique style. Some are brawlers, others boxers boxer, others hybrids between the two. Some have awful form, some have awesome form. I don't seek to emulate others. I will just work on repetition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back