When does white privilege kick in?

Ain't no white privilege, just green privilege. And white people got more of it.

So my family members that lived in a shitty trailer park had more money and privilege than Obama's daughters?

Good to know.

Not a troll attempt, for those who believe in such a thing. When do I get it? And in what form does it come?

I asked a now ex gf what my white privilege was and she said "have you been shot by a police officer?"

I said no which apparently meant I was in possession of white privilege.

Currently 29 (been white straight male all 29 years)

So when do I get it? Or do I already have it? Born with it?

Discuss.

This is a silly question I’ll explain.

White privileged isn’t some magical privilege where white peoples lives are automatically easier.

It just means that you are free of the negative stereotypes that affect certain other races because by and large white people are more successful than other races.

I am a black male. A disproportionately high amount of black males are criminals. Therefore I can often be sometimes victimized and assumed to be a criminal based on the actions of my peers. I can’t go out and force other black people to act right.

You are just free of that stigma.

White privileged isn’t some magical privilege where white peoples lives are automatically easier.

It just means that you are free of the negative stereotypes that affect certain other races because by and large white people are more successful than other races.

I am a black male. A disproportionately high amount of black males are criminals. Therefore I can often be sometimes victimized and assumed to be a criminal based on the actions of my peers. I can’t go out and force other black people to act right.

And you guys know how to bbq like a motherfucker

But don't I have the stigma of being privileged automatically? That seems like something negative being attached to me due to my skin color.

But don't I have the stigma of being privileged automatically? That seems like something negative being attached to me due to my skin color.

It’s really not the same as people thinking you’re a thief or gangbanger,

But to be honest I have nothing to complain about. A black person growing up in Canada has more opportunity than 95 percent of the people on planet earth.

On top of that, even amongst fellow black people they call you priveleged for being lighter skinned, lol.

It’s a petty argument. Everyone is more priveleged than someone else.

It’s really not the same as people thinking you’re a thief or gangbanger,

But to be honest I have nothing to complain about. A black person growing up in Canada has more opportunity than 95 percent of the people on planet earth.

On top of that, even amongst fellow black people they call you priveleged for being lighter skinned, lol.

It’s a petty argument. Everyone is more priveleged than someone else.
I don't know, to me being privileged is a negative trait. Attaching that to me based on my skin seems fucked up. That's just my white 2 cents though.

So my family members that lived in a shitty trailer park had more money and privilege than Obama's daughters?

Good to know.

I don't think anyone ever claimed it trumps all social and economic other factors in every situation.

I noticed it in college. Went to school in NYC during the "stop & frisk" era. Didn't know a single white person who randomly was put up against the wall and had one of their constitutional rights stomped on. But I saw a black classmate go through it and a handful of my Puerto Rican neighbors, with the cops never finding anything.

Looked at the stats and sure enough it was disportionatley minorities being jammed up, although my white friends did as much if not more drugs.

I don't know, to me being privileged is a negative trait. Attaching that to me based on my skin seems fucked up. That's just my white 2 cents though.

Negative trait? You wouldn't rather have privilege in a society?

I don't think anyone ever claimed it trumps all social and economic other factors in every situation.

I noticed it in college. Went to school in NYC during the "stop & frisk" era. Didn't know a single white person who randomly was put up against the wall and had one of their constitutional rights stomped on. But I saw a black classmate go through it and a handful of my Puerto Rican neighbors, with the cops never finding anything.

Looked at the stats and sure enough it was disportionatley minorities being jammed up, although my white friends did as much if not more drugs.

Yeah, but my brother got ruined by affirmative action. He was denied a job for being white and male. I'd rather be searched by cops.

Back in the 90's he had a college degree, a degree in fire science and was a certified EMT. He applied to be a fire fighter for CDF (now Cal Fire). He was told straight up that he couldn't get the job because they only were hiring women and minorities. The only way he could get the job was if no minority applied. How is that not totally fucked up? A Latino guy got the open position over him and all the guy had was a high school diploma.

Drunken violent Irish?

Loudmouth law breaking Italians?

Greedy Jews?

Do these stereotypes not exist?

While I actually somewhat appreciate your response, even if it’s blatantly false, that’s not what many progressives are asserting. They literally think being white means you get automatic loan approvals.

Furthermore, the idea that “white” is even a thing is ridiculous. As if the Irish experience, was the same as the English experience, is just ignorant.

Yeah, but my brother got ruined by affirmative action. He was denied a job for being white and male. I'd rather be searched by cops.

Back in the 90's he had a college degree, a degree in fire science and was a certified EMT. He applied to be a fire fighter for CDF (now Cal Fire). He was told straight up that he couldn't get the job because they only were hiring women and minorities. The only way he could get the job was if no minority applied. How is that not totally fucked up? A Latino guy got the open position over him and all the guy had was a high school diploma.

Like I said before. It doesn't trump all other social factors in every situation. But it does exist and as far as hiring in the bigger picture of all of society I would guess it plays much more in favor of white folks than affirmative action plays against us.

Seriously, if you’re born past 1980, two neighbors of similar wealth have the same chance at success, regardless of color.

As your post indicates, minorities may actually have an advantage.

giphy.gif

I told her my best friend at my work (my superior who happens to be black) hasn't been shot yet and she didn't have a retort.
Wait zour superior is black??? How the fuck did that happen?

Back