Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Here is Bec Rawlings pretty much confirming that the UFC has to offer you a fight every 3 or 4 months. Chances are if your favorite fighters been inactive they been turning down fights.

Does anyone know if Invicta still does fight & Performance of
the night bonuses since i haven't seen any mention of them
since the December card where 2 performance of the night
bonuses were issued.

Yup they still do it. Believe Gonzalez and Grusander won at the SLC card.

Amber Leibrock defeats Janay Harding by unanimous decision (30-27,30-26x2)

Amazing fight. Probably female fight of the weekend. I had it 29-28 Leibrock. Janay was great in her loss.

Thoughts?

My view: it's between the fighter and her team. Fighters have differing views on the subject. Looked pretty brutal though watching it on tv. Pennington has never appeared the type of fighter to say she's done unless she means it. As Smith mentioned though, Rocky could have told the ref any time.

Edited to add: Anick & Smith covered it well. Went back to calling the fifth round. Rogan probably wouldn't have stopped talking about it.

Edited to add later: Changed my mind after reading more comments. They should have thrown in the towel. :)

Last edited:
At least they did not give Dern a POTN bonus (officially, who knows about any backdoor bonuses from Unca Dana)

Used to disregard her weight shenanigans. Boy, was I wrong. :(

LFN 9: Ewelina Wozniak is now 1-0-0 as a pro after submitting Kinga Jendrasik (0-1-0) in the second round via rear naked choke. I haven't seen much of either but I'm guessing Wozniak's strongest point is her ground game because she can be a wild swinger at times. Most of the fight was spent on the ground with Wozniak on Jendrasik's back, Jendrasik defended the choke attempt well in the first round but Wozniak remained active landing strikes. It was really all Wozniak, Jendrasik had a couple of moments but the fight seemed rather one sided.

@ 27:04

So that's another undefeated prospect from Poland (Aleksandra Rola, Katarzyna Biegajlo and Martyna Czech are amongst others, though I don't know if Czech is still fighting because she last fought in 2016). There's some undefeated amateurs such as Paulina Giemza (9-0-0) and Anita Bekus (6-0-0, trains alongside Karolina Kowalkiewicz). Both are flyweights so I wouldn't be surprised if KSW signs them, I mean after Owczarz vs. Raszewska I feel like they could do with more homegrown talent, Rola has fought at flyweight recently too.

Barbara "Shogun" Nalepka defeated Beata Bardziak in a kickboxing bout via switch kick.

Last edited:
I feel really bad for Cooper. She obviously felt very strongly about being professional and was invested in getting some justice in winning out of that, plus she seems to have a great deal of confidence (you might say overconfidence, admittedly) in her abilities with particular pride in her boxing 'heritage' (she even has boxing gloves tatted on her). So to lose like that to a fat slob who barely trained must have felt completely crushing when she got back to the locker room :(

I'm not sure who should be tasked with stopping the blob. Ideally, someone with good hands and a bit of pop, but at 115 not many fit the bill. I'd kinda like to see Grasso get a shot at it after she's lost to Suarez, but that'd just make me mad again if the blob were to consume her too...

If I was offered a fight with McDernalds I'd also want some strong guarantees upfront, like 50%+ of her purse or no-pressure guaranteed payment + bonus + fight cancellation if she came that much over again. My starting position might be to ask for both of those...

I could revese my stance on singlets if Esparza wrestled a lot to 30-27 vs. Dern.

Damn after starting as a Dern fan I really wanted ABC to win. Dern might not be dedicated or technical with her standup but from the very beginning she had that power. Now it is time for her to fight at 125. Hopefully the UFC does the right thing and gives ABC a big bonus.

She was looking down when she threw that overhand right. Despite Cooper being a boxer, I have never been sold on her striking. And her grappling . . . Still wanted her to win, though.

Didn't she shatter her leg not too long ago? That first leg kick basically ended the fight being competitive.

Her worthless ass "coach" needs to be beaten so badly he cannot shit properly in his next life.
She really needs to leave that team.

Also, I was surprised to see Tecia wasn’t in her corner last night.. have to think if she was she would’ve called it.

I feel really bad for Cooper. She obviously felt very strongly about being professional and was invested in getting some justice in winning out of that, plus she seems to have a great deal of confidence (you might say overconfidence, admittedly) in her abilities with particular pride in her boxing 'heritage' (she even has boxing gloves tatted on her). So to lose like that to a fat slob who barely trained must have felt completely crushing when she got back to the locker room :(

I'm not sure who should be tasked with stopping the blob. Ideally, someone with good hands and a bit of pop, but at 115 not many fit the bill. I'd kinda like to see Grasso get a shot at it after she's lost to Suarez, but that'd just make me mad again if the blob were to consume her too...

If I was offered a fight with McDernalds I'd also want some strong guarantees upfront, like 50%+ of her purse or no-pressure guaranteed payment + bonus + fight cancellation if she came that much over again. My starting position might be to ask for both of those...
Dern can welcome Ariane Lipski to 125, or maybe a fight with the Lee/Macedo winner, but she absolutely shouldn’t get her next fight at 115.

As for ABC, perhaps it’s time to stop pretending you’ve been boxing at a high level for 15 years. I think a camp change, (maybe Tristar) would help build her skill level.

She really needs to leave that team.

Also, I was surprised to see Tecia wasn’t in her corner last night.. have to think if she was she would’ve called it.

Dern can welcome Ariane Lipski to 125, or maybe a fight with the Lee/Macedo winner, but she absolutely shouldn’t get her next fight at 115.

As for ABC, perhaps it’s time to stop pretending you’ve been boxing at a high level for 15 years. I think a camp change, (maybe Tristar) would help build her skill level.

Well, since Leto wants Shevchenko to have more fights at 125 and we are not sure when Nicco will return, she may be available.

:)

It is not as if winning Golden Gloves in women's boxing means you actually have good striking. The only reason Dern's overhand right hit was because Cooper dropped her lead left for no damn reason. When you get feinted-out by someone leaning left and looking down, perhaps your skills need a bit of work. IMO, Dern, Cooper and Pennington all need new coaches. I hope Raquel is doing well.

And as I dislike arguing in the main section with people whose only fight experience is getting beat up by girls when they tried to sneak into the locker room in jr. high school, there is something I would like to address here:

"Rocky should have told the ref she was done."

Easier said than done. After leg kicks to a previously severely injured left leg, getting beat on by the hardest-hitting woman at 135, losing most of the grappling exchanges and watching Amanda walk through some of her best shots, Raquel went back to her corner and told them she was done. She trusted them. As to telling the ref, she was moving on autopilot at that point, probably wearing her own piss (happens more often than you might think), and was literally beaten, broken and exhausted. Anyone expecting her to do anything other than go back to her corner and then do what they told her has no idea what goes on in the ring. So the fault does not lie with her, but 100% with her corner, whose primary job is to protect their fighter. And they failed, terribly.

I was impressed with Dern to tell the truth, obviously the UFC are going to take her to Vegas and work on her weight, whether that's at 125 or 115. I know people hate hype jobs but if she did breakout that would be good for wmma as a whole, so who knows. Personally I'd see her at 115 rather than flyweight, maybe Calvillo would be a good match in a few months.

Sadly Cooper can fight someone like Yoder to see who goes back to Invicta, there are too many straws on the roster anyway.

What with the Pennington fight, the Paige fight, Cachoeira and Barber v Perkins the other day it seems incompetent refs and corner men really don't like the ladies. Could end badly.

Looking forward to the Santiago card now.

the blob <36>

Is Gabby Holloway signed to Bellator? I don't see her profile on their site. She ain't got the best record (6-5, with losses to Amanda Bell, Arlene Blencowe, Latoya Walker and Julia Budd) but she beat Dufresne some time back (this was when people thought Dufresne was next in line for a title shot after she upset Coenen). Leibrock looked great last night, and Harding looked good taking the loss, things are seeming shaping up nicely for Bellator's small division. I don't hate Budd but that fight against Blencowe was... yeah, I hope Nogueira makes things interesting in their upcoming bout.

If Holloway isn't signed then I guess there's another potential TUF 27 participant.

As for ABC, perhaps it’s time to stop pretending you’ve been boxing at a high level for 15 years.

It is not as if winning Golden Gloves in women's boxing means you actually have good striking.

When I'm digging around for info about a fighter, a golden gloves champ is like the striking version of a NAGA belt; It often doesn't mean anything at all (men or women). I wouldn't even list these here as accomplishments if I'm trying to pimp some prospect's credentials (unless it's like "oh she beat name fighter in competition").

Well, since Leto wants Shevchenko to have more fights at 125 and we are not sure when Nicco will return, she may be available.

:)

Be careful. Somebody in the office is already thinking about a Dern/Shevchenko interim title fight.

I'm still surprised ABC made it to the finals of that TUF, she's still young enough to improve but as she currently is she is... not very good to put it nicely.

When I'm digging around for info about a fighter, a golden gloves champ is like the striking version of a NAGA belt; It often doesn't mean anything at all (men or women). I wouldn't even list these here as accomplishments if I'm trying to pimp some prospect's credentials (unless it's like "oh she beat name fighter in competition").

Be careful. Somebody in the office is already thinking about a Dern/Shevchenko interim title fight.

An interim belt, which I am generally against, would be great just to piss of Leto. He is a good guy, but fun to fuck with about Shevchenko.

@leto1776

Just to make sure he sees this.

:D

An interim belt, which I am generally against, would be great just to piss of Leto. He is a good guy, but fun to fuck with about Shevchenko.

@leto1776

Just to make sure he sees this.

:D
Shev is probably top 3 most skilled in WMMA but I love his "Shevchenko is the most overrated WMMA fighter" type posts because they're so refreshing compared to all the Nicco bashing ones. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back