Khabib vs Maia - Who wins the grappling?

Here, this is time stamped for anyone who thinks Khabib would out grapple Demian Maia.

He is talking about BJJ rules and he is not comparing his experience between Maia versus Khabib. So, it is weak evidence.

Yea, Khabib could get Maia down but then he would get sub'ed, almost guaranteed. I say that because I've seen an interview with Frank Mir who is a HW talking about how Maia taps everyone, all the way up to Heavyweight. Khabib is a LW, he would be F'ed.

Yeah, Mir said Maia felt like he weighed a thousand pounds when he got top position on him. Said his technique is just unreal.

He is talking about BJJ rules and he is not comparing his experience between Maia versus Khabib. So, it is weak evidence.

Its not weak evidence. Every single person that fights Maia, wrestler or not, avoids the ground like the plague. How much evidence do you need?

Maia beats everyone in the UFC in a grappling match not named Werdum or Jacare.

5 years ago Maia beats him.easily ....... now no he has trouble even getting a td now..

Going to the mat with Maia is a death sentence. Why do you think bigger, stronger wrestlers than Khabib like T-Wood and Usman avoid it at all costs?

Then why has he been smothered before? This isn't the 90s. At high level MMA its never a death sentence to take anyone to the ground. Maia may have the best MMA adapted BJJ ever, but the game has evolve. Maia doesn't have good stand up, so people keep the fight standing, but plenty have survived with Maia on the ground

It is a hypothetical scenario, and Khabib has shown me enough evidence that he can smash Maia.

If Khabib can keep his body away from Maia like usman did with a front headlock and then stand up, then sure, or if he can stuff all Maia's take downs like T-Wood, then sure, but if you think Khabib is safe in Maia's guard you are gravely mistaken. NOBODY is safe in Demian Maia's guard.

An MMA fight between 41 year old Maia and Khabib would most likely look the same as Maia's last three fights.

If Khabib can keep his body away from Maia like usman did with a front headlock and then stand up, then sure, or if he can stuff all Maia's take downs like T-Wood, then sure, but if you think Khabib is safe in Maia's guard you are gravely mistaken. NOBODY is safe in Demian Maia's guard.

I am starting to think you have never actually watched Maia and only know about him from what Joe and Dana say

Then why has he been smothered before? This isn't the 90s. At high level MMA its never a death sentence to take anyone to the ground. Maia may have the best MMA adapted BJJ ever, but the game has evolve. Maia doesn't have good stand up, so people keep the fight standing, but plenty have survived with Maia on the ground

Khabib is cocky, he thinks he can get in anyone's guard and dominate. I'm telling you he can't. The guys that dominated Maia were big strong wrestlers that either used a front snap down headlock on Maia like Colby or Usman or stuffed the take downs and stayed on the feet like T-Wood. NONE of those guys willingly went to the ground and got in Maia's guard and tried to ground and pound him.

I think Maia is the more dangerous grappler but his cardio could be a big liability.

Khabib is cocky, he thinks he can get in anyone's guard and dominate. I'm telling you he can't. The guys that dominated Maia were big strong wrestlers that either used a front snap down headlock on Maia like Colby or Usman or stuffed the take downs and stayed on the feet like T-Wood. NONE of those guys willingly went to the ground and got in Maia's guard and tried to ground and pound him.

Fighters have survived having Maia on top of them (and in MMA, Maia's top game is better then his guard) many times. Fighters have survived being in Maia's guard more then not survived. This isn't Royce in the 90s where no one knows how to stop him. Chances of a high level MMA grappler like Khabib getting subbed from guard are slim to none. Even from old man Maia. We are not talking about prime MW Maia here, who BTW was smothered by Weidman and Munoz

I'd favor Khabib's sambo/catch style over Maia's in a pure grappling match. Strict BJJ is almost becoming outdated. But then again I haven't seen enough of Maia's grappling game to know if he's strictly that or if he knows more. All the respect to Maia, though. But, IMO, Elite Catch Wrestling style grappler vs Elite Old School BJJ typically favors the Catch guy.

Shoot. If the fight is still going on after two rounds... it will be a boxing match. Not interested. But would watch a only grappling contest...

khabib wins easy against maia. maia has only bjj. khabib has wrestling plus grappling plus gnp.

Fighters have survived having Maia on top of them (and in MMA, Maia's top game is better then his guard) many times. Fighters have survived being in Maia's guard more then not survived. This isn't Royce in the 90s where no one knows how to stop him. Chances of a high level MMA grappler like Khabib getting subbed from guard are slim to none. Even from old man Maia. We are not talking about prime MW Maia here, who BTW was smothered by Weidman and Munoz

I understand what you are saying but you can't compare Khabib to big 185'ers like Weidman. All I know is this.

Maia is the larger fighter.
HW's like Mir and others have said Maia is a mat assassin.
WW's who are extremely accomplished wrestlers like Colby, Usman, and T-Wood avoid the mat like the plague against Maia.

I'm not saying Maia is a better mixed martial artist than Khabib. I'm saying he is a larger fighter with world class BJJ and going to the ground with him is a risky proposition, even for Khabib.

Shoot. If the fight is still going on after two rounds... it will be a boxing match. Not interested. But would watch a only grappling contest...

If its only grappling, Maia destroys Khabib. Maia can sub world class BJJ practitioners that are larger and stronger than Khabib is.

Back