Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

Does being a "Stalinist" have anything to do with completing their job?

Some of these questions are kinda silly to me, to be honest. Who is a Stalinist and what does that even look like in practice? I just don't understand the relevancy.

"Oh there's Joe over there by the water cooler, telling everyone he's a Stalinist again. He says he's gonna overthrow the company one day because of class inequality."
The relevance is that there was a period of time in this country where the right wanted to be able to fire Stalinists and prevent them from getting work in academia or Hollywood. And the Left said we shouldn't do that. Movies were made, plays were written, etc. A lot of ink was spilled over the notion that political blacklisting in general and of communists specifically was wrong. I happen to think that the left was correct in that case, even though it was clear at the time that Stalinism was a particularly hateful political stance.

And today we have a lot of sympathy from both sides for political blacklisting. Consider the anecdote from one person here that most professionals have social media accounts that are "devoid of opinion". I think that is a bad thing. So I am trying to find out where people are drawing the line. These conversations of course get a bit mixed up over time, but from what I remember of your comments on these issues, I think I am for the most part in agreement with your stance.

I saw it. IIRC the comedian in question drew a clear distinction between the way one guy used it because he knew he didn't mean the jokes to be cruel while the other fellow did. He also reminded them all that every homosexual might've been subjected to real douchebag hatred in their lives.

An example of C.K. using gay jokes to make people think about something deeper than just whether or not they're laughing.

She had a gravy train with that new show. It was popular, she had a team of writers pumping out pretty crappy material and people still liked it. It was almost too big to fail. Almost.

She is the perfect example of somebody who is not very smart and suddenly has access to internet memes and a Twitter account. She's been posting whacky stuff for years.
She has being saying wacky shit since before the internet.Roseanne is weird and had a strange upbringing

What's funny is knowing this isn't parody.

"Why does communism always get a pass?? It's an outrage!!"

Are you ignorant that persecution of communist speech and political sympathies was a key battleground in the debate regarding freedom of speech in the US, and particularly in cases of blacklisting people from getting jobs? I'm not bringing it up randomly, nor am I being obscure or subtle.

An example of C.K. using gay jokes to make people think about something deeper than just whether or not they're laughing.
And obviously as noted, this same conversation could be had with an epithet for black people.

Last edited:
The relevance is that there was a period of time in this country where the right wanted to be able to fire Stalinists and prevent them from getting work in academia or Hollywood. And the Left said we shouldn't do that. Movies were made, plays were written, etc. A lot of ink was spilled over the notion that political blacklisting in general and of communists specifically was wrong. I happen to think that the left was correct in that case, even though it was clear at the time that Stalinism was a particularly hateful political stance.

And today we have a lot of sympathy from both sides for political blacklisting. Consider the anecdote from one person here that most professionals have social media accounts that are "devoid of opinion". I think that is a bad thing. So I am trying to find out where people are drawing the line. These conversations of course get a bit mixed up over time, but from what I remember of your comments on these issues, I think I am for the most part in agreement with your stance.

I guess the Stalinist thing threw me off because I have no idea what that looks like in the work place. I have never encountered a single person who defined himself or herself as a communist, Stalinist, or anything similar in the work place, or espoused any ideals related to those things.

So based on that, I'd have to say I don't really care if they believe communism is a good idea, because I don't see how it relates to their interactions with co-workers, or ability to perform their job. I don't see a source of conflict with that, unless perhaps you work in the financial sector and it directly opposes the task that you've taken on at work.

With some more more general ideologies or beliefs, like bigotry, it's pretty easy to identify exactly why that is not acceptable in the work place, the problems it causes, and how it will interfere with their ability to do their job.

d695a-racestuff2.jpg
This "meme" might have just ended my posting career. This is so unfunny. No thought or effort put in to it. This is what we have become. Congratulations striker, you've killed my will to post.

This "meme" might have just ended my posting career. This is so unfunny. No thought or effort put in to it. This is what we have become. Congratulations striker, you've killed my will to post.
The internet has exposed how many morons live among us, the worst part is I am willing to bet most of the people who make these memes don't even believe them, just making bucks off then stupid.

Most memes are not even supposed to be funny. That is just the lame deflection idiots who post them use to excuse their absurd propaganda.

For example, earlier in this thread a guy posted a meme about a politician that he truly believed was real. When somebody pointed out that it was fake he said, "it's funny though." But it was not even a joke, it was not funny and not even intended to be funny. People really are just that stupid.

did he just talk about himself in the 3rd person? AND included the "J" in his name whilst doing so?

thats actually hilarious

Back