Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

Isn’t the whole point of them giving their lives for literally every single thing he mentions there? Otherwise what’s the ideal point of joining any service?

muhhhh apologyyyy!!!

tenor.gif

Roseanne isn't even using that as a defense, just some Trump fans trying to obfuscate the issue. It's widely known that VJ is black, whether some uninformed ignoramuses are aware of that or not. Roseanne's met her, she knew the score. She's made similar comments about black female political figures before, like saying Susan Rice "is a man with big swinging ape balls". Just a coincidence I'm sure that she keeps comparing blacks to apes.
Didn't she though? According to Rogan she said she didn't know she was black. I don't even like her, and if she tweeted racist shit before, than it's karma paying her back

She's not Iranian. Jesus. Do some research. Her dad was a doctor and worked in Iran as part of a program--I posted the info already. Google it if you don't believe me.

Reading? now you are asking too much. Best they can do is some facebook memes.

No thanks to the offer of giving up ground on comedy. It's way too easy for everything to blow up in a moment of bad judgment. Comedy is particularly important in times like this, when everything is on such a hair trigger.

Comedy isn't being killed or blown up. ONE sitcom got canceled after its star (who has a long history of racially-charged statements) finally went over the line.

Comedy doesn't get to have immunity from public scrutiny. If activism and political statements (you know, the shit that REALLY matters) doesn't get that luxury, making funnies shouldn't either.

At this point, multiple ignorant mean spirited NON JOKE tweets have been posted in refutation of the idea that she was making jokes.
Surrender, Dorothy.
I think this hysterically dishonest denial of the fact of it being a joke is somehow critical to the stance a lot of people are taking. It really shouldn't be. We've learned from Trumpers that we shouldn't lie and bend reality when it makes our point of view seem stronger. It doesn't- it just makes it seem dishonest. It's totally unnecessary.

I am shocked how much defense she is getting.

Maybe she shouldn't have lost her show, but anyone defending what she actually said isn't right. Even she admitted that.

I’m still at a loss trying to understand how shitty Netflix stand up specials are important or counterculture.

I just remembered reading somewhere that she was Iranian.

Every person I've ever met from Iran calls themselves Persian.

I've never asked why but I believe it's because saying you're Iranian sounds like you're radioactive.

Also every woman I've met from there was fucking hot.

comparing...Kevin Randleman(PBUH) to a gorilla.
lmao @ PBUH

Obviously comparing Randleman to a gorilla has a highly plausible non-racist context. Do you think it requires a disclaimer, given the normal modern and historical contexts?

Didn't she though? According to Rogan she said she didn't know she was black. I don't even like her, and if she tweeted racist shit before, than it's karma paying her back

I like Joe, but he's not always the most informed person, especially on topical issues. He has his interests and he knows a lot of stuff, but he also gets a lot of stuff wrong. Roseanne built up a lot of reputation with comics over the years, but she's gone off the deep end lately.

I’m still at a loss trying to understand how shitty Netflix stand up specials are important or counterculture.
Did you choose "shitty Netflix specials" because framing it that way that sounds the least like a Timothy Leary seance?

Comedy is always in opposition to the culture, because it necessarily questions and ridicules it.

lmao @ PBUH

Obviously comparing Randleman to a gorilla has a highly plausible non-racist context. Do you think it requires a disclaimer, given the normal modern and historical contexts?
I remember that in PRIDE Randleman got compared to Donkey Kong one time and there was a PRIDE promotional video where Bob Sapp went to a zoo and ate a banana and beat his chest...

So I guess one way to get away with it would be to do in some country/language for an audience that doesn't have the same historical baggage.

But in America and other countries with racist legacies I think its just too liable to be misinterpreted even with the best of intentions. I guess if you did it in a joke that was really good people might excuse it but the risk is if that joke bombs it can come off as nasty. Adding disclaimers and showing awareness of the potential misinterpretation kind of makes the whole thing awkward, like you're trying too hard to not be racist.

I like Joe, but he's not always the most informed person, especially on topical issues. He has his interests and he knows a lot of stuff, but he also gets a lot of stuff wrong. Roseanne built up a lot of reputation with comics over the years, but she's gone off the deep end lately.

Are you serious. Barr SAID herself she did not know she was black

You are the one misinformed

I think this hysterically dishonest denial of the fact of it being a joke is somehow critical to the stance a lot of people are taking. It really shouldn't be. We've learned from Trumpers that we shouldn't lie and bend reality when it makes our point of view seem stronger. It doesn't- it just makes it seem dishonest. It's totally unnecessary.
THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING HERE!

Did you choose "shitty Netflix specials" because framing it that way that sounds the least like a Timothy Leary seance?

Comedy is always in opposition to the culture, because it necessarily questions and ridicules it.
That's art in general. Stand up comedy is escapism and isn't a noble, safe space for racists to get away with racism. I don't see something like Dave Chappelle's trans jokes as particularly profound or richly illuminating, they are just jokes at the expense of an easy target. Of course art can challenge societal norms, it should. But in a humane way. There are lots of examples of that happening now and none of them are in the realm of stand up comedy, as I see it.

Back