Americans: why is CM Punk famous?

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I obviously know it's because of his pro wrestling, but why was he "chosen" by the writers/producers to become champ? I only know the guy from UFC, and with all respect i see someone who:

- Is not athletic
- Doesn't have an impressive body (at all)
- Is a pretty boring speaker
- Has little charisma

So what was it? Gotta be something right?

{<huh}

I obviously know it's because of his pro wrestling, but why was he "chosen" by the writers/producers to become champ? I only know the guy from UFC, and with all respect i see someone who:

- Is not athletic
- Has little charisma

{<huh}
Didn't you just answer your own question?

Last edited:
He is an actor, nothing more nothing less

He was a very talented in ring performer and had great charisma in the John Cena era. Not great in the Attitude era. When he "went off script" it was a big deal and fresh. WWE has gone to complete shit since the real days of Stone Cold, The Rock etc. When John Cena is carrying your company a guy like CM Punk can be a star.

He was a very talented in ring performer and had great charisma in the John Cena era. Not great in the Attitude era. When he "went off script" it was a big deal and fresh. WWE has gone to complete shit since the real days of Stone Cold, The Rock etc. When John Cena is carrying your company a guy like CM Punk can be a star.

I know you've got "went off script" in quotes, but just to clarify for everybody else - it was a worked shoot and CM Punk didn't actually go off script.

I know you've got "went off script" in quotes, but just to clarify for everybody else - it was a worked shoot and CM Punk didn't actually go off script.

Yeah. The quotes were just to clarify that he didn't actually do it.

I asked this question to a wrestling enthusiast not long ago, and this is what he told me:

a) He was good and entertaining in the ring, had good charisma and was someone they could root for
2) He was small-ish, and not a muscle bound freak, with talent as a wrestler
iii) He wasn't known as the protege of the company or a hand-picked guy that would win the belts just because
four) He was the anti-John Cena

His whole against the Man (ala Austin) and dropping Truth Bombs in the ring gained him a "Cult" following that became a WWE bowl movement...

The US likes fake shit.

He used to do that thing where grown muscular men jump around and grapple with neon colored panties.

I think pro wrestling fans are easily impressed.

Most of them are just kids anyway.

He was good at pro wrestling. Being good at pro wrestling doesn’t really have any transferable skills to MMA.

He was the best in the world with deadly Muay Thai and strong enough to lift a 500 lb man.

On a serious note, he had everyman appeal for the exact reasons people here make fun of him - because he isn't a musclebound giant Adonis (aka a Sherdogger) and the average joe wrestling fan, especially hardcores, could relate to him.

- Is not athletic
- Has little charisma

{<huh}

Because there is a part of our culture that likes Pro Wrestling and that is what he did. It's like me asking why Zindine Zidane is famous because most Americans don't watch soccer.

He's got the straight edge.

Because there is a part of our culture that likes Pro Wrestling and that is what he did. It's like me asking why Zindine Zidane is famous because most Americans don't watch soccer.

Because Zidane actually has exceptional skills in a non fake sport.

Back