Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.

It shouldn't be that fucking easy to destroy something worth that much at a museum. They know kids are coming put your shit behind some sort of safety.
Normally I'm all for the personal responsibility viewpoint, but part of being a mature, rational adult is understanding that children are not mature, rational adults, and that sometimes, even good parents-- themselves mature, rational adults-- aren't perfect police of these little monsters.

Plan accordingly. If you suddenly find yourself owed vast amounts of money by people who may (in most cases probably) can't afford restitution for these damages because you exposed such valuable property so carelessly...you didn't plan well.

if he did, then they'd be suing and it would be a different conversation.
he didn't and instead broke something very expensive.
the mom wasn't even around so she can't claim emotional distress either.
The child needs to also be hurt for emotional distress.

I have a problem with the artist of the piece setting the price at 132k. He says that’s for time spent on it and what he thinks it is worth.

I’m guessing the guy isn’t even a famous artist

I've been to a lot of different art museums, and most of the pieces aren't protected. If you wanted to you could run up and destroy any number of expensive paintings or sculptures. The expectation is that you don't let your stupid kid run around like it's a fucking playground. Does there need to be a sign that says that?

What museum has anyone ever been to that lets you climb on the artwork?

For me, it's like babies crying at movies. You knew your crotch goblin was going to have to stay quiet, zero tolerance if they start crying. I wouldn't blame the theater for not having soundproof booths. It's assumed when you go to the movies that you're going to need to shut the fuck up.

The kid doesn't know that, but the mom does. I leam toward negligence on behalf of the parents.

I hate parents who let their kids run around and do whatever they want, no discipline, no boundaries. Parents probably deserve to pay something for it, but all of 132K is a bit ridiculous. Doesn't the museum have insurance? Why is a statue this expensive just left out and not held down or behind glass? Doesn't seem like a strong lawsuit, maybe they're hoping to scare the parents into a settlement.

Don't take your five year old to a museum that has a bunch of expensive shit on display.

Not sure who is responsible though, if there were no signs. I think customers may unwittingly agree to responsibility when they enter though. Have to see what kind of policy the museum has, I guess.
I doubt many places have a policy that says its OK to cause 1000s of dollars worth of damage.

Why is a statue this expensive just left out and not held down or behind glass? Doesn't seem like a strong lawsuit, maybe they're hoping to scare the parents into a settlement.
Not nearly as serious but isn't the "why didn't the museum do XYZ?" kinda the same as "well, why did you walk down the alley before getting mugged/attacked?"

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.

This. Honestly, I get the argument against the parents - they should be watching - but if you don't protect a $132,000 item at all, that's you inviting calamity -> your ass dumb as shit.

I doubt many places have a policy that says its OK to cause 1000s of dollars worth of damage.

No, but when it comes to legally enforcing a ridiculously heavy fine, they best have something in writing that puts full responsibility on the visitors of the exhibit.

Harambe didn't die for this shit. His lesson to us all is that you can't take your eyes of em' for second. You should never be too relaxed.

Theres was thread in the mayberry a few years ago about an unattended boy in a zoo that somehow fell into an enclosesure, slipped through the safety netting on the way down and was immediately set upon by a pack Wild African Dogs. It scarred my psyche. That shits is unaceptable. Too much permissiveness, too much length on the parental leash. If that art piece would have fell on that kid, it still would have been the parents fault, no different than a parent who locks his kid in a hot car.

I'm childless, but I'm confident in saying that when I'm with my (very young) nieces and nephews theres a part of my brain that is in constant scan mode at the people and the enviorment that I'm bringing my yute into. Anything or anyone that is potentially dangerous to them, even mundane things like big dogs, busy intersections, pools gets noted and filed.

You gotta to be at least a little paranoid, because you are the situational awareness that they don't have. I'm sure actual parents on this forum won't dispute this.

I hate parents who let their kids run around and do whatever they want, no discipline, no boundaries. Parents probably deserve to pay something for it, but all of 132K is a bit ridiculous. Doesn't the museum have insurance? Why is a statue this expensive just left out and not held down or behind glass? Doesn't seem like a strong lawsuit, maybe they're hoping to scare the parents into a settlement.

it is the museum's insurance that wants to bill the parents.

It shouldn't be that fucking easy to destroy something worth that much at a museum. They know kids are coming put your shit behind some sort of safety.

or people can keep thier dick beaters off of shit that doesnt belong to them

or people can keep thier dick beaters off of shit that doesnt belong to them

Sure sounds like both the parent and the museum should have made more of an effort. Having a statue out that can be toppled over by a five year old is fucking crazy dangerous. Imagine if someone else's child was just walking around when this thing was knocked over and it busted open their head. The mom should have also been more careful as well that goes without saying. Frankly if you're going to setup a museum like this there needs to be age restrictions put in place.

Harambe didn't die for this shit. His lesson to us all is that you can't take your eyes of em' for second. You should never be too relaxed.

Theres was thread in the mayberry a few years ago about an unattended boy in a zoo that somehow fell into an enclosesure, slipped through the safety netting on the way down and was immediately set upon by a pack Wild African Dogs. It scarred my psyche. That shits is unaceptable. Too much permissiveness, too much length on the parental leash. If that art piece would have fell on that kid, it still would have been the parents fault, no different than a parent who locks his kid in a hot car.

I'm childless, but I'm confident in saying that when I'm with my (very young) nieces and nephews theres a part of my brain that is in constant scan mode at the people and the enviorment that I'm bringing my yute into. Anything or anyone that is potentially dangerous to them, even mundane things like big dogs, busy intersections, pools gets noted and filed.

You gotta to be at least a little paranoid, because you are the situational awareness that they don't have. I'm sure actual parents on this forum won't dispute this.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids. You know why it's so easy for you to be inconstant scan mode when your with your nieces and nephews? Because you weren't deprived of hours of sleep night after night after night. You aren't constantly having to do this day after day after day. Anyone who expect parents to constantly have control of their child and never once slip up is being unrealistic. Parents will and do make mistakes. The best you can do is hope that when you eventually make that mistake it doesn't cost your child his\hers life.

The museum likely has insurance to cover this. The parent should have done a better job of watching the kid, but there were no signs, barriers, ropes, etc

Watch your fucking kids!!!

I hope the parents get stuck with the bill. Maybe now they will watch their kids.

I don't know you would think that if you go to a museum you would make sure your kid doesn't climb up any of the artwork.
I mean that wasn't an ''accident'' like the kid bumped into it. It was freaking climbing up the thing and the mom had her fat ass on the couch.

I have seen it on the playground where kids are going wild hurting other kids and the parents are busy looking at their cell-phones. Some parents seem to think their parenting duties stop once they are out of the house.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids. You know why it's so easy for you to be inconstant scan mode when your with your nieces and nephews? Because you weren't deprived of hours of sleep night after night after night. You aren't constantly having to do this day after day after day. Anyone who expect parents to constantly have control of their child and never once slip up is being unrealistic. Parents will and do make mistakes. The best you can do is hope that when you eventually make that mistake it doesn't cost your child his\hers life.

Shit. I guess you do have a major point there.

The main reason I don't have kids is because i'm selfish about things like sleep and down-time.

Which is why i don't have kids.

However I do work everyday with children and young adults who face lifelong challenges like autism, ODD and FASD. Every day I do things like take them to the public library, their outpatient group sessions, playgrounds, basketball courts, community centres and museums.

It's like herding cats. Autistic cats with boderline issues that try to give you hug after they pick their nose or their hands have been down their pants. For the past three years my scanner has never wavered, there has always been a heighten,ed sense of awareness borne out what i always thought was a mandatory paranoia.

This also isn't the equivelent of parenting, a parent puts waaaaay more hours into their kid (or should) but I am going to argue that the grind is at least somewhat similar.

As to the second part I completely disagree: Children Protective Services can always lend a helping hand if an adult can not maintain a standard of care that ensures that there is minimal threat of accidental death during mundane things such as taking a child to museum. You who else gets tired in this world? Russian taxi drivers apparently.

Barring freak accidents o going to a public place with your child should never be a crap shoot in which you hope your child makes it out alive (I know i'm simplyifying but i hope you get the point)

Back