Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

Kids destroying a statue in a museum is an epic parenting failure. Being tired is not an excuse in this case. There is no way a 4 and 5 year old should be climbing on statues at a museum. It should have been made very clear by the parents what behavior was expected of the kids before they even went inside. Certainly, you cannot see everything at all times, but your kids climbing on statues at a museum is something you can see regardless of how exhausted you are. This was not a kid putting a marble in their nose, falling down the stairs or drinking bleach. This was a major incident that could have been prevented with better parenting.

I already acknowledged that the mom fucked up here but the museum did as well by having absolutely nothing in place to prevent this. Not even a sign. The fact that they had a statue that could just be toppled over so easily is seriously dangerous.

This is 100% the fault of the parents. Yeah, the display was easier to break than it could have been and yes, there wasn't a sign. But when you require layers of protection and signage all over the place, this is how you get absurd laws and a society that's totally reliant on lawyers to solve every little problem. That lady knows her kid is a POS, and now, she's paying for it. Won't get a single fucking tear from my eyes over it. Get involved, and raise your damn kids.

Both sides are idiots.

First of all the parents should be with there kids during all time and not let them wonder off, specially in a museum like that.

Having said that, why would they have a 132k statue out in the opwn likw that? With no pexiglass or any sort of security?....I mean, if they didnt have a no touch sign, it just shows how incompetent the city was.

So no I dont think the parents should pay

Exactly my view on it. Everyone here contributed to this statue being broken.

Parents don't feel any need to teach their kids good behavior, consequence or discipline. These people probably really think they're being picked on.

I agree with you for vast majority of population. But my daughter is hell on earth, but cute as shit.
Ive tried spanking, shouting, discussing, rewarding, punishing, reasoning and she is just 10000mph 14 hours a day (shes 4). Soon as shes a bit older and more mature for a sport i should be good. To give you an idea my son is respectful at all times and if I look at him the wrong way he shits himself.

I wouldn't take my daughter to a museum BECAUSE she is like that. So the parents mistake was two-fold...not being in control of their kid and knowingly bringing her somewhere she wasn't mature enough to behave.

This is 100% the fault of the parents. Yeah, the display was easier to break than it could have been and yes, there wasn't a sign. But when you require layers of protection and signage all over the place, this is how you get absurd laws and a society that's totally reliant on lawyers to solve every little problem. That lady knows her kid is a POS, and now, she's paying for it. Won't get a single fucking tear from my eyes over it. Get involved, and raise your damn kids.
this is where society is at...calling 4 year olds pieces of shit in confirmation of "personal responsibility". Strange days, people are fucking idiots...but not 4 year olds.

Not nearly as serious but isn't the "why didn't the museum do XYZ?" kinda the same as "well, why did you walk down the alley before getting mugged/attacked?"

Oh my gawd, are you victim-blaming the museum? So bigoted #believeall

You're a museum, you know thousands of people visit your museum every month, including children, and that there are idiots who may try to mess with the exhibits. It's the most predictable problem in the world. How are you comparing this to some poor person being mugged? It's impossible to prevent a mugging 100% unless you become a recluse who never leaves the house.

I'm really curious about the age ranges for the folks posting in here . . . just to see what age groups are replying with "watch yer freakin kids" and who is saying the insurance should cover it because the museum was stupid.

this is where society is at...calling 4 year olds pieces of shit in confirmation of "personal responsibility". Strange days, people are fucking idiots...but not 4 year olds.

Come on . . . parents should know better than to let their kids run wild in a museum . . . of any kind.

Oh my gawd, are you victim-blaming the museum? So bigoted #believeall

You're a museum, you know thousands of people visit your museum every month, including children, and that there are idiots who may try to mess with the exhibits. It's the most predictable problem in the world. How are you comparing this to some poor person being mugged? It's impossible to prevent a mugging 100% unless you become a recluse who never leaves the house.
The parents also have a duty to keep their rugrat terrorists under control too.

I completely agree. We do not need bubble wrap, warning signs and special barriers everywhere to protect people from being irresponsible. What we need is far more emphasis on expectations, accountability and self-responsibility. The victim-hood, entitlement and blaming culture has become far too prevalent.

You can get an idea in this thread who is raising snowflakes.

Watch your kid always and especially when they are young.

You break it you bought it. In this case it wasn't an accident it was neglect on the parents.

Not sure if they can pay but at least they are being held for being piss poor parents.

At that age they stay within hand reach unless they are some place made for them to run lose. Even then they stay within close eye shot for their safety and the comfort of others.

Watch your kid the world is not their to do with as they please and they are not "special" to anyone but you.

PS I raised kids and watch grandkids, they behave around me.

I think most of us agree that the parents should have to pay some amount. The museum and insurance company have a percentage of blame on their hands too. The parents won't be paying the full amount and it's just standard for the insurance company to try and pay as little as possible. The insurance company agreed to pay for the damages at the museum I assume the inspected the museum to determine their risk. They seemed to be ok with the manner the statue was presented so they should have to cover most of the cost.

If the museum displayed the statue in a manner that violated their insurance policy then they carry the most blame.

The parents are awful and shouldn't be raising shit head kids.

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.
It's unreasonable for a museum to have someone guarding every item. Parents are responsible for their children.

It shouldn't be that fucking easy to destroy something worth that much at a museum. They know kids are coming put your shit behind some sort of safety.
Do you walk around with a bullet proof vest?

The parents should pay, this is not a park or playground. It is not a place designed for delinquent vaginal discharges to just run amok. The lady should have been watching her child, she did not do know she can pay.

Maybe they are trying to "statue" an example and sculpture a precedent that will stand the test of time and become an inventory.

That was bad, I sincerely apologize...
Your apology is accepted but you must receive your spanking.

It's unreasonable for a museum to have someone guarding every item. Parents are responsible for their children.

It's not unreasonable for them to have a rope though right? How about securing the statue down to the ground? Considering there are earthquakes in Kansas seems stupid and irresponsible not to.

Do you walk around with a bullet proof vest?

Yes.

This is a case where theres plenty of fault to spread around. $130k is a pretty steep bill for losing sight of your kid for awhile. On the other hand, even without a sign present it should be expected that kids aren't allowed to climb all over shit in the museum. It just seems like basic decency to try to preserve the works of art you're about to enjoy so others can enjoy them after you, and not just let your kid use them as toys. We don't need signs to know this is poor behavior anywhere in public other than a playground. I don't expect the child to know, but I expect the parent to know and I expect the parent to have control over their child in public. Kind of a crazy expectation anymore but it's there.

$130k is steep, but I'm not opposed to them paying some amount. If they ended up settling on paying $5k-$10k, I wouldn't shed any tears for them.

Obviously the kid and parent is at fault but I really doubt they can pay that much? I’ve always wondered with high price things on display how many incidents happen a year with kids and how he cost are covered? Insurance yea, but you think if it is so expensive and covered by insurance they would do a risk assessment and see it’s poorly protected
I've touched the ancient Egyptian artifacts at the met but you can't just destroy exhibits. Parents are responsible for their children. If you're in a museum watch them closely.

Come on . . . parents should know better than to let their kids run wild in a museum . . . of any kind.
sure, but... It's also a public place, this sculpture shouldn't be open to destruction by a just graduated toddler. And insurance should do there duty and pay the bill.

Also, the person I responded to called a 4 year old a "POS". Parenting aside that is some ridiculous dumbassery.

Back