Anyone watch Netflix's "The Staircase" (potential spoilers)

Just finished it and the story is amazing. One of the best docs I've seen.

after the first few episodes I thought he did it, but the things that kept nagging me were that she had no skull fractures nor brain trauma. How the hell do you beat someone to death with a weapon and not cause those things? Plus they said she was on blood thinners, so she could die from bloodloss from a series of superficial wounds.

Also there was no motive.

I never watched the doc because I had read extensively about the case in the past.

He 100% killed her. Also killed his ex-lover who also fell down the stairs and died from a stroke.

Just finished it and the story is amazing. One of the best docs I've seen.

after the first few episodes I thought he did it, but the things that kept nagging me were that she had no skull fractures nor brain trauma. How the hell do you beat someone to death with a weapon and not cause those things? Plus they said she was on blood thinners, so she could die from bloodloss from a series of superficial wounds.

Also there was no motive.

The only motive I can ascertain is that perhaps she had discovered his new exploration in male prostitution that led her to find out that in the past he had had sexual encounters with men. They were drinking, she said she was leaving, one thing led to another and she is dead at the bottom of the stairs.

One thing I found weird was the 911 call, notice how he doesn't say she is still breathing til he is asked and then he just sort of casually states it. I thought that was very strange.

I'm about half way through it right now. I had actually read a little about the case before the show ever came out. And yeah, he did it. Just looking at those crime scene photos of her...that was clearly not a fall down the stairs, haha!

Is this worth watching, and what is premise?

In December 2001, novelist Michael Peterson called to report that his wife Kathleen had fallen down a set of stairs and died. The authorities disbelieved Peterson's story that Kathleen had fallen while drunk and concluded instead that Peterson had bludgeoned her to death, most likely with a fireplace poker which was discovered missing from the house. Peterson was soon charged with murder and the film details the ensuing case from the point of view of Peterson and his defense team, led by David Rudolf. During the trial it is discovered that while Peterson was living in Germany a family friend of his died from an intra-cerebral haemorrhage followed by the body falling down stairs after collapsing which resulted in similar head injuries to those sustained by Peterson's wife. An investigation by German police and US military authorities concluded that the death was accidental and Peterson ended up adopting the woman's two daughters. The prosecution introduced this death into the trial as an incident giving Peterson the idea of how to "fake" Kathleen's accident. During the trial, Peterson's daughters stand steadfastly by their father. The prosecution argues that Kathleen had discovered that Michael was bisexual and had been having affairs with men, which led to an argument where he bludgeoned her to death. Peterson claimed that his wife knew about his sexuality and that they had an open marriage. He claims to have been outside by their pool when Kathleen fell down the stairs and injured herself.

Is this worth watching, and what is premise?
If you're into true crime and stuff like that then yeah definitely worth it. I would recommend The Jinx as the best documentary series about a potential murderer though.

In December 2001, novelist Michael Peterson called to report that his wife Kathleen had fallen down a set of stairs and died. The authorities disbelieved Peterson's story that Kathleen had fallen while drunk and concluded instead that Peterson had bludgeoned her to death, most likely with a fireplace poker which was discovered missing from the house. Peterson was soon charged with murder and the film details the ensuing case from the point of view of Peterson and his defense team, led by David Rudolf. During the trial it is discovered that while Peterson was living in Germany a family friend of his died from an intra-cerebral haemorrhage followed by the body falling down stairs after collapsing which resulted in similar head injuries to those sustained by Peterson's wife. An investigation by German police and US military authorities concluded that the death was accidental and Peterson ended up adopting the woman's two daughters. The prosecution introduced this death into the trial as an incident giving Peterson the idea of how to "fake" Kathleen's accident. During the trial, Peterson's daughters stand steadfastly by their father. The prosecution argues that Kathleen had discovered that Michael was bisexual and had been having affairs with men, which led to an argument where he bludgeoned her to death. Peterson claimed that his wife knew about his sexuality and that they had an open marriage. He claims to have been outside by their pool when Kathleen fell down the stairs and injured herself.

hmmm, I cannot imagine a corpse that has been bludgeoned to death will look like a corpse that fell down stairs.

I tried, but I couldn't get into that one and I usually like those kinds of things. Also, the lipsync offset was ridiculous for me. Some shows on Netflix have a terrible audio sync for me.

Yep that and the fact that his previous relationship ended in a similar way. No idea how they botched this one.

That wasn't a previous relationship. They were just friends. There was never any evidence nor testimony that they were anything beyond that.

Plus they determined she died of a stroke. Would be pretty lucky if someone suffered a stroke right when you're beating them to death.

He did it for sure. Guy seemed extremely dodgy, with all the secrets, the another woman who died in Germany under the same circumstances was the last nail of the coffin

He did it for sure. Guy seemed extremely dodgy, with all the secrets, the another woman who died in Germany under the same circumstances was the last nail of the coffin
Not quite the same circumstances. Her death did not have the bloody scene that his wife's did.

Back