Supreme Court Upholds Trump Travel Ban

Did the Supreme Court rule correctly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
how often do you see things that you disagree with a court doing as "legislating from the bench"

If the court in question creates new rules/restrictions out of thin air instead of interpreting the laws on the books, then I will accuse it of legislating from the bench. Ginsburg and Sotomayor already have a bad track record in this area. Thomas and Gorsuch are excellent in this regard.

So you are saying that it was impossible for them to work on it during this time?

Oh, so it that your spin in hoping that we would forget about the two years of screeching and meltdown over this issue now that you officially lost...again?

I don't know if I've ever seen a majority (especially Conservatives) overrule a previous SCOTUS precedent they explicitly state has no bearing on the case before them; Korematsu.

Haven't read the other dissent yet.

Let us know what you find. And please, do take a look into those who supported it as well. It seems like good intellectual hygiene.
“Whenever the President finds that the entry of any
aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States
would be detrimental to the interests of the United
States
, he may by proclamation, and for such period
as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all
aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonim-
migrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any re-
strictions he may deem to be appropriate.”

This is already federal law. The majority didn't need to legislate to arrive at the obvious conclusion.

You seem to be rather naive as to the complexity of legal language. There are two red flags in this short section which mark the obvious necessity of informed interpretation of legal language to prevent A) presidential overreach, and B) pure silliness.

For A, what constitutes a presidential finding? Is it a whim, or does it require reasoning, context, and even a superficial attempt to explain the why and how? If Trump gets it in his head, tomorrow, that people from Canada constitute a threat due to his trade war can he, unilaterally and without reasoning, ban Canadians from entering? Must it be considered in light of other existing laws and statutes, and must there be any explanation whatsoever of the expected benefit? You present this federal law as if it is read, understood, and that's that. That's not how the law works. A large part of the purpose of these courts is to do precisely what they're doing - interpret a law like this. Of course, if one looks at an experienced judge in the highest court of the country and dismisses their expertise and knowledge as just "legislating from the bench" then I guess the idea of tossing out the interpretability of a law is quite easy...

As for B, well, that's simple. All of the pronouns in this passage are "he." What if Hillary had won? I guess this law wouldn't apply to them? Is that reasonable? Of course not - because obviously, we interpret the law. It's not some word of God from on high, its meaning self evident because it is the living word of a divine being. We need qualified people to read it through and say "No, there is some wiggle room here, and it allows for ____." What a trouble state we are in where the most qualified interpreters in the country and dismissed out of hand by regular Joes because all they're doing is "legislating from the bench"!...

Oh, so it that your spin in hoping that we would forget about the two years of screeching and meltdown over this issue now that you officially lost...again?

Are you going to avoid answering the question and just screech?

What prevented the administration from working on a vetting program in the last two years, which they stated was the point of the ban?

What prevented the administration from working on a vetting program in the last two years, which they stated was the point of the ban?

The fact that they had to win the case in the SC before they could pursue it, stop acting stupid here.

So you are saying that it was impossible for them to work on it during this time?
er.... When its going to be struck down by incompetent liberal judges, whats the point?

arent two of the liberal old ones close to death? another win for Trump. He can pick the next.

You guys should ban all immigration from africa and the muslim world.

Hawain judges btfo

Not really. I'm just wondering why we aren't following through on the whole point of the ban: to have time to make a new extreme vetting program. What's taking so long? They've had a lot more than 90 days to do that now haven't they?
Well, sure they have.

The fact that they had to win the case in the SC before they could pursue it, stop acting stupid here.

er.... When its going to be struck down by incompetent liberal judges, whats the point?

Pathetic answers. They have had TWO years to have a plan that could have been implemented today after the SC ruling and hit the ground running. They had two years that could have devised a plan and two years to research the legality of it, but they've done zero.

They haven't worked on one at all. So will we have one in 90 days?

how do trump's dingleberries taste ? lol challenge the goat potus and you will lose .. eventually

If the court in question creates new rules/restrictions out of thin air instead of interpreting the laws on the books, then I will accuse it of legislating from the bench. Ginsburg and Sotomayor already have a bad track record in this area. Thomas and Gorsuch are excellent in this regard.

That seems like an obviously flawed maxim. If the spirit of the law requires new rules to maintain the integrity of said law, it seems self evident that new rules must be implemented. Why on earth would you consider this a sign of "legislating from the bench"?

The 9th circuit judges all need to be impeached, they are a goddamn joke

Shit, how much time has been needlessly wasted by liberals during this presidency? You shits really would rather break shit than let it not go your way.

Shit, how much time has been needlessly wasted by liberals during this presidency? You shits really would rather break shit than let it not go your way.

7 years of crying about Obamacare, and no new plan.

2 years crying about EXTREME VETTING and no plan.

I think I sense a pattern here.

Congrats on your 6 month travel ban to implement an extreme vetting plan two years later without the extreme vetting plan.

#winning

The 9th circuit judges all need to be impeached, they are a goddamn joke

I wish there was some review process if over X percent of your rulings get overturned by a higher court

Back