UFC 196 retrospective: Did Conor actually panic wrestle, give Nate his neck and tap early?

The funniest part was when Nate first mounted Conor. He tried to give up his back right away but Nate didn't let him and dropped those punches in him. Then Conor was able to give up his back and neck with no resistance. The only thing Conor didn't do was grab Nate's arm and put it under his neck.

Conors exact words was he panicked and pussied out. Conors nut huggers are the only ones with an issue with this. Main thing is he came back from it. Fought the same guy at the same weight class made adjustments and squeaked out a decision.
So lets say Khabib gets on top and is in complete control.

Is is going to be in Conor's instinct to panic and look for a way out? Maybe offer Khabib his neck or tap to strikes?

Khabib is saying that he wants to beat on Conor for the full 25 minutes but I just don't see Conor wanting endure that kind of beating given his nature, and I don't think Khabib will give him the option of an early sub from what he's saying. Then again, tapping to strikes would be a pretty bad business decision.

Last edited:
The funniest part was when Nate first mounted Conor. He tried to give up his back right away but Nate didn't let him and dropped those punches in him. Then Conor was able to give up his back and neck with no resistance. The only thing Conor didn't do was grab Nate's arm and put it under his neck.
I'm actually looking for a gif of the full ending sequence of the fight and can't find one.

The goat was just trying to mix it up and miscalculated his hip movement by millimetres

He came back and dominated Nate in the second fight proving it was a fluke
Dominated? Conor barely squeaked by.

You can't go by Nate's face. He's a bleeder. Look at his and his brother's bone structure. It's like hitting a plastic bag filled with glass shards. Of course it will tear.

He was, for thinking he could KTFO Nate easily. That's why he blew his wad.

Ok, I guess that’s all it takes these days. To be a fighter known for knockouts and think you’re going to win by knockout.

Ok, I guess that’s all it takes these days. To be a fighter known for knockouts and think you’re going to win by knockout.

No but gassing out in the second round against someone who came off a 10 day vacation when you've had a full training camp for 5 rounds does indeed make you delusional, or ill prepared, or both.

You can say the same thing about Ngannou. Delusional for thinking he doesn't need a gas tank past the first.

He tapped when the choke was locked. Wasn’t really quick given he was in a hopeless position.

Didn't even try to handfight or go for wrist control.

Panicked and quit. Just like he panicked when Nate walked into the postfight presser.

I'm actually looking for a gif of the full ending sequence of the fight and can't find one.

He tries rolling to his left, Nate blocks it, punches. Then Conor rolls to his right, gives his back and neck. Taps in 1.3 secs

8320345_watch-nate-diaz-hands-conor-mcgregor-his_edf8f086_m.gif

He was done so instead of getting pounded on by nate who had him mounted... He gave his back and never even tried to defend the choke. Thats not a shield of honor. Its a i am fooked.. Heres my neck... Gift

He quit IMO, wich was a brilliant business decision.

If he stayed for the beating until the end, I doubt Eddie and Floyd would've happened.
He didnt know that at the time he was getting his ass kicked.

Of course he did. He was about to get KFTO. Just like in the Mayweather fight he started running around the ring with his hands downs looking for a way out.

I dont agree that Conor was trying to take the easy way out of the fight. He panic wrestled simply to stop the beating for a long as he could,till he could possibly figure some shit out. He felt on the verge of losing/getting knocked out,and needed to do something. Who knows,maybe the time would run out or something. I dont think he shot in like,OI SUB ME NATE.

he was exhausted, got stunned which made it worse, shot a takedown thinking he could recover/rest a bit, and got submitted by someone with really good BJJ.

doesn't mean he's a pussy, has a shit ground game or " quit ".

problem is that theres no grey area with conor, his haters will always think he's trash and shit on him no matter what he does because they're bitter and blinded by hate.

10/10
Wood read again

I find it hysterical when people say Conor 'gassed' in that fight. It was midway through the second round, with Conor not only hurling bombs, but landing, when Nate groomed him for a clean 1-2. Everything changed after that.

If you rewatch the PPV, they roll slow motion angles of all the shots Nate landed right before Conor dove for the take down. He was getting absolutely battered.

So he had a decision to make - get knocked out standing up, or dive for a take down and try to recover in the process.

Since Nate is a far more competent grappler, he immediately use the guillotine to reverse him and passed his guard to mount. Now Conor has another choice - get TKO'd on the ground - Nate was punching his head in with ground-and-pound, or give up his neck for the submission.

He chose to give up the submission instead of tapping to strikes or waiting for the referee to call a TKO.

All pretty straight forward, all bad options for Conor. He was beat no matter which path he chose.

Back