Khabib details his strategy against McGregor (takedowns, left hand)

Fights often don't go as we think they will. Either Khabib knocks him out or Conor ankle locks him.

You need to watch Conor fight bro.. Sign up for Fight pass and Watch..
I've seen all of Conor's fights. His kicks and his lead right are decent, particularly his uppercut... but it's fodder for Khabib. He walks through those shots and takes Conor down.

The only serious threat is his left in the first two rounds.

Khabib saying it's impossible is actually a bad sign, imo

If something goes wrong he won't be prepared and won't react well
its a good thing for him that he realizes that he needs to avoid striking with conor because he'd get destroyed if he tried to strike. He should go for takedowns the whole fight

its a good thing for him that he realizes that he needs to avoid striking with conor because he'd get destroyed if he tried to strike. He should go for takedowns the whole fight
Alvarez was saying very similar stuff prior to actually being in there with him

Alvarez was saying very similar stuff prior to actually being in there with him
And he didn't stick to his gameplan because his offensive wrestling is not very good and he had too much pride in his standup.

I've seen all of Conor's fights. His kicks and his lead right is decent, particularly his uppercut... but it's fodder for Khabib. He walks through those shots and takes Conor down.

The only serious threat is his left in the first two rounds.

He has every strike in the book. Great kicks, that keep his range, but many of them hard and nasty. He hits people with switch kicks. Throws at times unpredictable shit like spinning back fists, and kicks. He is a tremendous body striker. Not puncher to the body, striker to the body. Throws combos, hitting the body finishing to the head. And what makes him so great is that range. He is long and fights long. Keeps you at the end of his reach, and lays traps you fall into. The left is his finishing punch but he leads you into it with so many other attacks and traps. Khabib is NOT I repeat NOT marching forward with bad striking and just getting a hold of him.

And he didn't stick to his gameplan because his offensive wrestling is not very good and he had too much pride in his standup.
How much of that was Conor's doing?

He did give it a try... it was half hearted... but there was an attempt

He has every strike in the book. Great kicks, that keep his range, but many of them hard and nasty. He hits people with switch kicks. Throws at times unpredictable shit like spinning back fists, and kicks. He is a tremendous body striker. Not puncher to the body, striker to the body. Throws combos, hitting the body finishing to the head. And what makes him so great is that range. He is long and fights long. Keeps you at the end of his reach, and lays traps you fall into. The left is his finishing punch but he leads you into it with so many other attacks and traps. Khabib is NOT I repeat NOT marching forward with bad striking and just getting a hold of him.
I see him circling away from Conor's left and trying to pick off his lead leg with swing singles, maybe initiating a scramble if he gets stuffed, pushing him up against the cage, chainwrestling until Conor is on his ass. He'll grind Conor out over the first couple of rounds until his cardios gone.

I don't see Conor throwing a lot of kicks or leaping across at Khabib with foolish flying shit like he did against Chad where he was on his ass within seconds. That may have worked against Chad in the end, but if he winds up on his ass with Khabib he has much less of a chance of getting up, and he spent a good 6 of his 9 + minute fight with Chad on his back. I think this time he'll sit back and be less offensive waiting for openings and trying harder to evade being taken down, but he will have to compromise his own offense to do this.

Last edited:
Everyone has a game plan until Conor touches that chin = game over

Everyone has a game plan until Conor touches that chin = game over
Every single one of Conor's UFC opponents got baited into a striking match with him. None of them other than Mendes and Nate had the wrestling (Mendes) or the size (Nate) to contend with him and those unsurprisingly wound up being his toughest UFC fights.

Every single one of Conor's opponents got baited into a striking match with him. None of them other than Mendes and Nate had the wrestling (Mendes) or the size (Nate) to contend with him and those unsurprisingly wound up being his toughest UFC fights.
Alvarez tried to take Conor down and once Conor blocked him= alavarez lost all hope and .. well we all saw what happen .. problem with khabib is his only hope is taking Conor down .. if he can’t take him down= Conor will easily light him up standing and finish him

Alvarez tried to take Conor down and once Conor blocked him= alavarez lost all hope and .. well we all saw what happen .. problem with khabib is his only hope is taking Conor down .. if he can’t take him down= Conor will easily light him up standing and finish him
Alvarez's offensive wrestling is a joke compared to Khabib's and he didn't trying to take Conor down until he foolishly engaged in multiple striking exchanges with him and got dropped repeatedly. So, he was even less effective a wrestler because he was already on queer street.

Khabib does the same thing in every fight. He's incredibly predictable, one dimensional and has no footwork. Reminds me of Ronda until she faced a legit striker.

Don’t forget his non existent head movement

Can Khabib hold Conor against the fence for 5 rounds and cage box?

I hope not, but good luck to both men.

Don’t forget his non existent head movement
You listen to Joe too much.

Khabib is statistically one of the the least hit fighters in the UFC. Al said he couldn't hit him and he hits everyone.

This is supposedly Khabib's most damaging striking exchange in the UFC according to Joe.

UnrulyAdoredFawn-size_restricted.gif

Head movement, rolling with the shots and covering effectively.

almost every one that fights Conor circles into his power hand with no regard he'll throw the left. Its like some vooddoo. Conor is good at corralling fighters into it but I dont get why people dont deny him the footwork.

Rewatched the Diaz 2 fight and he crumbles when fighters dont stand infront of him letting him control the fight. His gas tank is shit and his defense is trash. Halfway into rd 2 he was turning his back and running from Nate.

almost every one that fights Conor circles into his power hand with no awareness he's going to throw the left. Its like some vooddoo. Conor is good at corralling fighters into it but I dont get why people dont deny him the footwork.
They all had too much pride in their standup. Every single one of them. Which is not surprising considering they're all primarily strikers, other than Chad, who is a good striker on top of being an accomplished wrestler and found Conor's chin frequently.

Can Khabib hold Conor against the fence for 5 rounds and cage box?

I hope not, but good luck to both men.
If he gets Conor against the cage Conor is going to be on his back pretty quick. Conor has to gain the centre of the cage and use his speed and footwork to avoid being taken down. If he can avoid the first 2 takedown attempts then it will be a short night for Khabib. If he gets taken down early then he will need to hope he he can clip Khabib at the beginning of round 2 or 3. If the fight goes to round 4 I will have lost hope Conor can win. I see Khabib just diving in low for Conor’s lead leg the entire fight. He won’t try to trade hands with Conor even a little. A single well timed knee by Conor when Khabib comes in diving for his ankles could end it but how hard would that be to pull off?

If he gets Conor against the cage Conor is going to be on his back pretty quick. Conor has to gain the centre of the cage and use his speed and footwork to avoid being taken down. If he can avoid the first 2 takedown attempts then it will be a short night for Khabib. If he gets taken down early then he will need to hope he he can clip Khabib at the beginning of round 2 or 3. If the fight goes to round 4 I will have lost hope Conor can win. I see Khabib just diving in low for Conor’s lead leg the entire fight. He won’t try to trade hands with Conor even a little. A single well timed knee by Conor when Khabib comes in diving for his ankles could end it but how hard would that be to pull off?
Conor is not Yoel.

Khabib will cut the angle off circling away from Conor's left. Conor likely winds up on his ass before landing anything significant with the juice being sapped out of him.
easy to say, khabib doesn't have what it takes to do that

Back