Woodley has a pretty easy path to get at least 6 or 7 title defenses

That's your conjecture. You want to know what's not conjecture? Tyron Woodley losing to Jake Shields.

jake-shields-kicks-tyron-woodley-in-their-welterweight-fight-during-picture-id170637256

20130615072238_aaaa.JPG
rofl yea against a tyron that was a pure wrestler at the time and dint even have a head coach. besides shields did absolutely no damage in that fight. tyron actually hurt him. decision should have been a draw.

Big gsp fan but thats bs.. he know woodley beats him. Hes ducking.

You're 100% correct. GSP is the man, he's the nicest guy in the world of MMA but he's been ducking T-Wood for years. This fight has real meaning now that T-Wood is already being considered the goat at WW by at least 25% of the fans. GSP could stamp his legacy as the greatest fighter ever, and get rid of this label as a ducker and easy fight taker.

Prime Hendricks pre usada? yea ok so what? you really think Prime Condit and prime Hendricks beats wonderboy, usman and till?

Wonderboy is a highly credible win. It is Woodley's best win besides maybe Lawler. He beats Prime Condit. Hendricks is a question mark. Certainly Hendricks beats Wonderboy at the time he was in his Prime, but I'm not sure about him beating Prime Wonderboy in his Prime. Wonderboy clearly didn't beat Prime Hendricks.

Prime Hendricks beats Usman and Till comfortably.

Prime Condit could beat both, but I would really only be confident in picking him over Till.

Wonderboy is a highly credible win. It is Woodley's best win besides maybe Lawler. He beats Prime Condit. Hendricks is a question mark. Certainly Hendricks beats Wonderboy at the time he was in his Prime, but I'm not sure about him beating Prime Wonderboy in his Prime. Wonderboy clearly didn't beat Prime Hendricks.

Prime Hendricks beats Usman and Till comfortably.

Prime Condit could beat both, but I would really only be confident in picking him over Till.
fair enough. Condit would lose to usman imo and Covington. his weakness was against wrestlers that can grind. pre usada Hendricks is tricky. I do think usman has the chin to survive against Hendricks. usman is very underrated. He is almost on par with Woodley.

Twood smokes everyone who's close to fighting him anytime soon. Only one giving him a real challenge would be nick Diaz coming back. But gsp wouldn't land takedowns so he wouldn't be able to do the lay and pray method he's famous for so he'd get ko within the second

He's stated he wants to give fans big memorable fights. Clearly he doesn't feel Woodley will do that. He also would like to do something huge in his own words, and most take that to mean being a three division champ. Hence he's slimming down to 155.

Would be memorable seeing GSP get laid out by Woodley lol. Tbf tho i don't wanna see it either just given GSPs resume abd impact on the sport.

But slimming down to LW sounds kinda gutless. Winning back his old belt he never technically lost would be a massive accomplishment but he doesn't wanna fuck with Woodley at this point in his career and i dont blame him much. Him and Bones might end up the only goat candidates not to get horrifyingly KO'd late in there career.

It will happen. I have been rooting from my previous account for Khabib since there were like a total of 2 fans of his on this board. For years I heard shit like he is a wet blanket, hed get ranked by a top 20 to a top 10 to a top5 to now a top 3. He will keep on getting discredited but let him get to 30-0 and all these salty haters will start to look like absolute morons. People don't realize how close he is to becoming one true GOAT. In 2 days he will be 10 years undefeated, what people used to praise Fedor for with their mouths open in awe.
Congratulations on being the original Khabib fanboy

fair enough. Condit would lose to usman imo and Covington. his weakness was against wrestlers that can grind. pre usada Hendricks is tricky. I do think usman has the chin to survive against Hendricks. usman is very underrated. He is almost on par with Woodley.

I can get behind that, but both have pretty terrible striking defense. Pre USADA Hendricks should be able to hit Usman flush enough to put him down, he has taken some shots but nothing as hard as that version of Hendricks.

I don't think either are that close to Woodley's level right now. They have to establish a multiple round grind to tire Tyron enough to remove his danger. At this point they both get caught trying to close the distance within two rounds IMO.

Colby next who I think he starches. Maybe a cheap Nick Diaz fight and usman who is a poor man's Woodley + throw in ponzinibbio. GSP wants nothing to with Woodley. Go the wood
Colby and Usman are easy fights -- what are you smoking???

Pre USADA Hendricks would be at range of a 6' guy without the usual slow/ weak attributes of tall guys at WW. Usman is an animal -- not saying that because he's black, you fuckhead SJWs that will look for race in anything. Usman brings to WW all the things that fuck Johnny even worse at MW. Like Stephen Thompson's range with Woodley's speed and power.

I don't know what exactly you are trying to say.

But....

Usman is no where near as fast or as powerful as Woodley, and his striking defense is garbage. Both Woodley amd Prime Hendricks sprawl and brawl until that put his lights out.

Maybe Usman in 2 years will be a threat to old man Tyron.

rofl yea against a tyron that was a pure wrestler at the time and dint even have a head coach. besides shields did absolutely no damage in that fight. tyron actually hurt him. decision should have been a draw.
Shields controlled the fight and Tyron was unable to much of anything.

Shields is higher on the GOAT ladder than Woodley even now.

But slimming down to LW sounds kinda gutless.

He seems to think he'll be fighting Khabib. I'm not sure if fighting Khabib is all that gutless. He would end up being basically the same size as Khabib. His reach advantage I feel would be a non-factor after a few minutes. Someone is taking it the mat, and it's going to stay there. Honestly Khabib may have a strength and grappling advantage here.

There was always someone on a tear to challenge GSP back then, even 2 or 3 guys with winning streaks, highlight KO... I hate to see people bash on GSP's past opponents, because they did nothing great after GSP, but when those fight happened they were all top 3 fighters at their peaks. GSP just broke them

On his second run he had

Jon Fitch who was winning all the time and went for another 5 wins after being utterly dominated by GSP
BJ Penn was small but a P4P great at the time
Thiago Alves had 5 TKOs just before their fight and had won agianst Koscheck who was a top fighter
Dan Hardy was a UFC poster boy for the Brits but he was still on a 7 win streak with 5 finishes
Josh Koscheck was a big name, with notable wins, maybe the only one with Diaz that talked is way to a GSP match
Jake Shields was known as a winning machine he was on a 15 win streak, the MW Strikeforce champ he won to Dan Henderson...
Condit was interim champ and as legit as they come
Diaz kind of talked is way to go ahead of Hendricks, but he was still a legend with a 11 win streak before the condit running match
Hendricks was having wins and highlight KOs all the time for 5 years he was 15-1 when he fought GSP

After GSP it was still very good with Hendricks, Lawler, Wonder Boy, Rory, Woodley and Condit

But now, that well is dry, nobody can put together some momentum
100%. Overall, I believe the skills in elite MMA have increased pretty dramatically, but there's no doubt that WW is looking pretty thin at this point. The current best guys:
Woodley- Champ, pretty comprehensive skillset with crazy athleticism and power.
Colby- A solid wrestler, but a small WW with no power or serious striking skills
RDA- an excellent overall skillset, but a very small WW, pretty decidedly past prime, and a documented weakness against wrestlers
Maia- extremely one-dimensional, well past prime
Usman- a similar fighter to woodley, but worse in almost every metric
Lawler- after 15 years, it looks like his chin has finally quit
Wonderboy- very closely matched with Woodley, but at 2 stinkers, will almost certainly never get to fight him again
Till- well, we all saw what happened there...

Most the top ten right now are career journeymen (magny, masvidal), small (Colby, Rda), old (maia, RDA, lawler), inexperienced (Colby, Till), or already lost (WB, Till, Lawler, Maia). There's still a couple good matchups out there, but as a whole, WW is extremely shallow.

100%. Overall, I believe the skills in elite MMA have increased pretty dramatically, but there's no doubt that WW is looking pretty thin at this point. The current best guys:
Woodley- Champ, pretty comprehensive skillset with crazy athleticism and power.
Colby- A solid wrestler, but a small WW with no power or serious striking skills
RDA- an excellent overall skillset, but a very small WW, pretty decidedly past prime, and a documented weakness against wrestlers
Maia- extremely one-dimensional, well past prime
Usman- a similar fighter to woodley, but worse in almost every metric
Lawler- after 15 years, it looks like his chin has finally quit
Wonderboy- very closely matched with Woodley, but at 2 stinkers, will almost certainly never get to fight him again
Till- well, we all saw what happened there...

Most the top ten right now are career journeymen (magny, masvidal), small (Colby, Rda), old (maia, RDA, lawler), inexperienced (Colby, Till), or already lost (WB, Till, Lawler, Maia). There's still a couple good matchups out there, but as a whole, WW is extremely shallow.

They are badly missing Rory, if it was only for the story of a rematch with Woodley.

Still hoping for a GSP return in is real weight class

Would be memorable seeing GSP get laid out by Woodley lol. Tbf tho i don't wanna see it either just given GSPs resume abd impact on the sport.

But slimming down to LW sounds kinda gutless. Winning back his old belt he never technically lost would be a massive accomplishment but he doesn't wanna fuck with Woodley at this point in his career and i dont blame him much. Him and Bones might end up the only goat candidates not to get horrifyingly KO'd late in there career.

I don't see why everybody thinks GSP can't take a punch, Bisping, HEndricks and Condit hit him hard enough. Sure Woodley can clip him clean but GSP can also do that. The two closest fight GSP ever had were Penn 1 and Hendricks. They both were the agressor and always coming forward. I don't see Woodley backpedalling to a success against a well rounded fighter like GSP.

He's stated he wants to give fans big memorable fights. Clearly he doesn't feel Woodley will do that. He also would like to do something huge in his own words, and most take that to mean being a three division champ. Hence he's slimming down to 155.

How would the #2 WW not do that, but going down in weight to fight a 155er and Michael Bisping doesn't do that? LMAO

GSP is looking for easy fights to pad his legacy, stop excusing the truth!

The division is not what it was when GSP was king. It used to be a real shark tank. Now it is a division full of whatevers.
Woodley is the best WW but he's stuck, with no competition I can't see a way for him to be GOAT. If you defend twenty times and face three quality opponents, so what?
Wonderboy, Maia, and Till. All whatever's apparently when they were all given their own right for why they would demolish Woodley and be the next thing. Fighters do change with times and divisions change. I'll agree Wood could be stuck with lack of comp but not because the fighters aren't quality or names for the division..

Well if Woodley ends up with equal or more title defences, history will remember this duckery. Let's say Woodley KO's his opponents in his next two defenses and Gsp is out there still begging to fight LW's. Woodley has a considerabe amount of haters who reluctantly will admit that he is legit, So how would a win against him not be memorable for the fans? If he flatlines Colby , I think demand for GSP/Woodley fight will start to grow and the ducking will be even more obvious than it is now.

Back