STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Simple. But effective. Honestly, I'd hate it at the time, but right now, id love that.

How do you explain her not remembering

LOL I know, right? It's just some fan fiction I thought right before typing it. LOL

I would hate it at the time too. But knowing what we got...almost any Star Wars nerd's fan fiction feels great.

For her not remembering, ehh... many ways you could go about it. So many examples in fiction of people suffering memory loss.

This is true. The Poe comic shows this, Lor San Tekka didn’t have it, they asked him for info, and he had to go search himself. It gets hazy for me trying to figure it out
It makes no sense if we start with the idea Luke left the map behind, because like you implied Luke would have left it with R2 intact. Leia. Someone we know. Not for MVS to have to search and discover.

But it doesn't make sense either if someone was monitoring his whereabouts thoroughly enough to create the map and yet not intervene in his self exile.

What occurred in TFA is somewhat of a metaphor for what might have happened that resulted in such a convoluted journey: no single person knew the whole truth and it was Force ghosts that filled in the gaps.

Force ghosts is the new subverted.

I imagine ROGUE ONE 2 will be all about that fuccin map and there we will see our LUKE KICKS ASS fan service in about thirty years.

It would make Leia hugging Rey more fitting.
You lost me.

LOL I know, right? It's just some fan fiction I thought right before typing it. LOL

I would hate it at the time too. But knowing what we got...almost any Star Wars nerd's fan fiction feels great.

For her not remembering, ehh... many ways you could go about it. So many examples in fiction of people suffering memory loss.
Lando’s first line to Rey in episode 9 will be “”Well hello beautiful, you look exactly like your mother!”

And then it begins

Lando’s first line to Rey in episode 9 will be “”Well hello beautiful, you look exactly like your mother!”

And then it begins

Illegitimate daughter of Leia...Game of Thrones style..Luke and Leia dynamic before the twist in ROTJ makes sense now! George Lucas redeemed

20 years from now people are going to be scratching their heads at the idea JJ Abrams was being compared to someone like Spielberg and not Michael Bay.

I tried to read your post, but
giphy.gif

And then it begins

I think he's more likely to bust that line out on BB8.

It's like someone started a forest fire (Rian Johnson) and the next guy has to try to figure it out (Abrams) but all he has is a bucket of water cause there's not much to work with

It's like someone started a forest fire (Rian Johnson) and the next guy has to try to figure it out (Abrams) but all he has is a bucket of water cause there's not much to work with

I'd say its more like one guy started a forrest fire in Abrams and handed over to the other guy in Johnson who tried to put it out with petrol then returned to try and build a house out of the ashes.

The movie reminded me I'm not a child but fuck all of that!

On casting Kelly Marie Tran as Rose:

"When I wrote that character of Rose...she was genuinely a nerd, the kind of person I would hang out with in high school, and she doesn't feel like She belongs in a Star Wars movie" -Rian Johnson

Wow, LOL...so this is a good reason to cast her?

Abrams done gone pissed in the well.

The well was poisoned by George Lucas with the prequels. I remember Metacholorians, a trade federation that blocks trade, and other shit from watching it as a 7th grader. Shit was awful.

Star Wars is just another safe bet ip for a massive corporation at this point, a commodity. It has no unique flavor anymore, and isn't special in the least.

The well was poisoned by George Lucas with the prequels. I remember Metacholorians, a trade federation that blocks trade, and other shit from watching it as a 7th grader. Shit was awful.

Star Wars is just another safe bet ip for a massive corporation at this point, a commodity. It has no unique flavor anymore, and isn't special in the least.

I read all your posts in Jay's voice

Can't really agree with that at all, I mean the prequals were largely rubbish but they had very little direct feed into these sequels that are obviously following on far more directly from the originals. If anything I think the backlash on the prequels helped TFA the same way the poor latter day TNG films helped Abrams Trek, its when the backlash started to dry up and the films were judged more on their own merits they were found wanting by many.

It was more like TFA's mouth wrote a check no one's ass could have cash. TLJ gets the heat because it dared to step up and honor those danglers.

Case in point:

It's clear none of you appreciate how difficult TFA made things, and I'd be saying that still even if people weren't bringing up TFA sins in the TLJ threads. But that wide open space wasn't as open as you seem to claim it is. Let me put it this way, TFA had no plot points worth pursuing. There is no great explanation for Luke secreting himself for years, other than he was wrestling with his inner Dark Side. No lineage of Rey's would suffice to create more than a nostalgic nod, and being the daughter of Someone is not a much more compelling reason for being Force adept than Girl Forced To Survive On Wits and Skills Alone (all of which were tested and defeated). Snoke was on great display, his history was secondary to what he did onscreen. Phasma gets too much credit for being a disappointment, I don't know why a silver suit warrants more attention but hey she was shiny. Blah blah blah Clip is tired...

There should be one thing clear when you complain about the direction of this franchise, and as you alleviate yourself from the concern of lingering plot points and even that dread word canon: you want a new direction, one untied from the current, and now with no dangling strings left from TFA to hinder, TLJ has made the new direction possible and, ironically, deeply desired.

I cannot argue that you found TLJ boring. All I can say is I know it isn't.
I don’t entirely disagree with you. TFA was certainly derivative. I do, however, think TLJ could have done a better job picking up the threads that TFA left opened. But what surprises me most is that there doesn’t seem to be anyone in charge of an overall direction for the franchise.
For example, the MCU leaves stuff open all the time. There is TONS of theory crafting in that franchise. It’s always wrong, but no one cares because it’s still fulfilling (even if it’s not what we expected).
My guess is that if Johnson had made Luke a legitimate badass, fans would have forgiven the many shortcomings of the film. For decades we’ve waited to see that. Let him struggle with his failure, let him be a guarded recluse, that’s all fine. Just, for the love of everything holy, let him be a badass. But nah. He’s gonna get knocked down by a girl with a stick and eventually be some sort of hologram, then die.
I know the middle films in a trilogy are tough, but they can be great. ESB is a perfect example. I think it subverted expectations (Luke beaten, Han captured, Vader is Anakin, etc), but it’s an AWESOME film.

I don’t entirely disagree with you. TFA was certainly derivative. I do, however, think TLJ could have done a better job picking up the threads that TFA left opened. But what surprises me most is that there doesn’t seem to be anyone in charge of an overall direction for the franchise.
For example, the MCU leaves stuff open all the time. There is TONS of theory crafting in that franchise. It’s always wrong, but no one cares because it’s still fulfilling (even if it’s not what we expected).
My guess is that if Johnson had made Luke a legitimate badass, fans would have forgiven the many shortcomings of the film. For decades we’ve waited to see that. Let him struggle with his failure, let him be a guarded recluse, that’s all fine. Just, for the love of everything holy, let him be a badass. But nah. He’s gonna get knocked down by a girl with a stick and eventually be some sort of hologram, then die.
I know the middle films in a trilogy are tough, but they can be great. ESB is a perfect example. I think it subverted expectations (Luke beaten, Han captured, Vader is Anakin, etc), but it’s an AWESOME film.

Imagine if Rain Johnson got to make a marvel film

It's because they're looking at aspects beyond story, and some of the hardcore fans suffer for the developments to the mythos.

I don't think TLJ could have done a much better job in the sense of making Luke a badass, which he totally is, as he is, now. His chief antagonist being none other than himself, his own Dark Side. If he was more of a typical ass-kicker we'd have the same fannish quibbles a la: "If he's so great now, why was he missing in TFA?" or "Does no one know about his Secret Mission?" When you think about the possibility of his being on a secret mission, or stranded somewhere, you start to see his impact being diminished. Already people think Rey is more powerful than Luke, but what will they think when Luke has to recruit younger guys to fight for him, or the Secret Panacea that indicates he needs help. I don't want to see Luke with Stormbringer made by the giant midget.

Luke himself is the deus ex machina -- the ultimate weapon. He needs no one and nothing else to conquer his enemies.

It was a terrible mistake not to feature Luke more prominently in TFA, and it's unfair TLJ suffers for it.

Back