China strikes back with tariffs on $60 billion of US goods

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/china-us-tariffs/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)China has fired back at the United States after President Donald Trump ramped up the trade war with his biggest wave of tariffs yet.

The Chinese government said Tuesday that it would impose tariffs on US goods worth $60 billion following the Trump administration's announcement that it was hitting $200 billion worth of Chinese goods with new tariffs.
The US tariffs start at a rate of 10%, before rising to 25% at the end of the year. They come into effect on September 24, and will apply to thousands of Chinese products, ranging from food seasonings and baseball gloves to network routers and industrial machinery parts.
China's new tariffs will be levied at rates of 5% or 10%, depending on the product, from the same date, China's state council said.
The latest clash deepens the conflict between the world's top two economies that is already hurting companies on both sides of the Pacific. The latest US move means roughly half of the products that China sells to the United States each year will be hit by American tariffs.
Beijing had previously threatened to impose tariffs of between 5% and 25% on US products such as meat, coffee, furniture and auto parts — if the Trump administration went ahead with its plan to target $200 billion of Chinese goods.

China had already gone blow for blow with the United States on tariffs on more than $50 billion of each other's goods this year.
Its decision to retaliate against the latest salvo from Trump raises the prospect of further escalation in the trade war. The White House warned Monday that it would respond to any retaliation from Beijing with yet more tariffs on roughly $267 billion of Chinese exports.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Trump.

SMH

$60 to $200 billion? We win.

Thanks Trump!

Being American is being on the side that always wins.

Basically us taxpayers are going to left paying the difference because of these tariffs.

It's a sly way of recouping some of the deficit created by that massive tax break.

couldn't have come at worse time for me personally. I am in the midst of erecting a 4 and half story building in Philly and prices have been going up and up and up... grrr...

I think this is MAGA... right?

This is it?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/china-us-tariffs/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)China has fired back at the United States after President Donald Trump ramped up the trade war with his biggest wave of tariffs yet.

The Chinese government said Tuesday that it would impose tariffs on US goods worth $60 billion following the Trump administration's announcement that it was hitting $200 billion worth of Chinese goods with new tariffs.
The US tariffs start at a rate of 10%, before rising to 25% at the end of the year. They come into effect on September 24, and will apply to thousands of Chinese products, ranging from food seasonings and baseball gloves to network routers and industrial machinery parts.
China's new tariffs will be levied at rates of 5% or 10%, depending on the product, from the same date, China's state council said.
The latest clash deepens the conflict between the world's top two economies that is already hurting companies on both sides of the Pacific. The latest US move means roughly half of the products that China sells to the United States each year will be hit by American tariffs.
Beijing had previously threatened to impose tariffs of between 5% and 25% on US products such as meat, coffee, furniture and auto parts — if the Trump administration went ahead with its plan to target $200 billion of Chinese goods.

China had already gone blow for blow with the United States on tariffs on more than $50 billion of each other's goods this year.
Its decision to retaliate against the latest salvo from Trump raises the prospect of further escalation in the trade war. The White House warned Monday that it would respond to any retaliation from Beijing with yet more tariffs on roughly $267 billion of Chinese exports.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Trump.

SMH

LOL! SMH at anyone still trying to push the narrative that fighting back against China is a bad thing

Big Macs gonna cost 3 bucks over there. And they're surely addicted by now.

We have threads with people bashing Trump and his trade war, but then there is another thread praising Trump and his trade war. Yet the posters in one thread wont venture into the other one to have actual fights over this matter. That makes both thread pretty dull.

<FutbolThink> <FutbolThink>

We have threads with people bashing Trump and his trade war, but then there is another thread praising Trump and his trade war. Yet the posters in one thread wont venture into the other one to have actual fights over this matter. That makes both thread pretty dull.

<FutbolThink> <FutbolThink>
The bottom line is that Trump is a dummy.

To say the absolutely fucking least.

#MAGA

#DemsWinMidterms #TrumpImpeached

Tariffs only hurt poor and middleclass consumers, Trumptards conned once again.

Trump supporters and the phenomenon of putting their trust in a POTUS that does NOT have their best interest in mind..........................................................

It is disturbing and creepy and just...............fucked up.

And Trump said he will retaliate if China strikes back, which they just did.

I am Lovin It !!!

This is 1 issue I am fully behind Trump. The US has being going soft on China for too dam long, because both parties just provided establishment candidates who were more concerned about satisfying Wall Street and Corporate titans.

And Trump said he will retaliate if China strikes back, which they just did.

I am Lovin It !!!

This is 1 issue I am fully behind Trump. The US has being going soft on China for too dam long, because both parties just provided establishment candidates who were more concerned about satisfying Wall Street and Corporate titans.

We're America, BITCH.

giphy.gif

Can you explain to me exactly why you think this is bad for the poor and middle class? It seems on the surface to a pretty ignorant statement.

It seems we are finally getting some back and forth between the two opposing sides.

hooray ! ! !

:meow: :meow: :meow:

Can you explain to me exactly why you think this is bad for the poor and middle class? It seems on the surface to a pretty ignorant statement.
Prices on consumer goods go up, not to mention job loses to companies that export.

I think because poor and middle class people buy a lot of stuff from China. Think stuff from wal mart, dollar general, foods at the grocery store, etc. When the stuff comes from China and has a tariff on it, someone has to pay for it. Like most things, eventually it trickles down to the customer. So I think the tariff ultimately mean higher prices on goods from China.

Prices on consumer goods go up, not to mention job loses to companies that export.
Jobs increase for companies that provide domestic products and wages rise due to increased demand for labor. In fact, if you break down the math it is essentially impossible for the middle and lower classes to lose economic share in this situation. It is the upper class and the capital class which take a hit in this circumstance.

Back