War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
got my mid-term ballet. Since the democrats abandoned the middle class and support violence and censorship, I haven't voted for any of them since 2012 (thanks obama).

Senator is McSally (R) vs Sinema (D) vs Green (G). Sinema is a commie, so that is an easy elimination. Green is from the Green party so that helps a little but I need to read something very positive or I'm voting Trump.

Congress is Ferrara (R) vs Stanton (D).

Govna is Ducey (R) vs Garcia (D) vs Torres (G)

The rest is local stuff.
Was about to make a thread about local ballots.

No, its not edgy, but the compulsion to ridicule something you don't believe is an attempt to be edgy.
I don't believe cats are superior to dogs, but I don't feel the need to pontificate on the issue. If somebody feels that way and they're not hurting anybody in the process then good for them. Now, of course there are charlatans that do hurt people, and its not just people who preach divinity; look no further than the Oval Office (and not just the last 2 years) and the religious fervor around Trump and Clinton. Religion has, if nothing else, proven to be a benefit to people. For that reason its a good thing. Go after the charlatans and the criminals, but attacking somebody's religion just because it makes you feel superior is played out.

phew
i split with a perfectly good woman after 2 years cos i couldnt take her hippy shit seriously, she didnt try and convert me but would listen to audio tapes of this indian "guru" and she went to an ashram every year for 4 weeks to do mystical shit. that combined with fad food diets such as "eating by colour groups" meant i lost respect for her, shame really cos otherwise she was a pretty laid back gal and fucked like a rabbit, was game for anything in the sack. i still keep in touch occasionally and shes now living in a "spiritual centre" in denmark, where no doubt some lucky vegan guy is gettin fucked senseless every night.

i split with a perfectly good woman after 2 years cos i couldnt take her hippy shit seriously, she didnt try and convert me but would listen to audio tapes of this indian "guru" and she went to an ashram every year for 4 weeks to do mystical shit. that combined with fad food diets such as "eating by colour groups" meant i lost respect for her, shame really cos otherwise she was a pretty laid back gal and fucked like a rabbit. i still keep in touch occasionally and shes now living in a "spiritual centre" in denmark.

even a curry junkie couldn't bare with that kind of woman. :confused:

you were probably a macaroni and cheese junkie and let a woman change you.

i split with a perfectly good woman after 2 years cos i couldnt take her hippy shit seriously, she didnt try and convert me but would listen to audio tapes of this indian "guru" and she went to an ashram every year for 4 weeks to do mystical shit. that combined with fad food diets such as "eating by colour groups" meant i lost respect for her, shame really cos otherwise she was a pretty laid back gal and fucked like a rabbit. i still keep in touch occasionally and shes now living in a "spiritual centre" in denmark.
22bdfb5f193b089ba081b63e429f4957.gif

I'm not even religious. I was raised Catholic and used to have a lot of faith (which I never pushed on anybody), but not so much these days.
I miss it, tbh.

The vast majority. There are some legitimately mentally insane people who believe it though.

This is absolutely asinine. I honestly have no idea how you would be able to come to the conclusion that "the vast majority" of Christian missionaries don't actually believe in the religion they are spreading and are just....trying to what? Spread moral traditionalism? That doesn't even make sense, considering the third world countries in which they are proselytizing already have much more morally traditional societies that can be found in any Western Christian nation.

I've worked alongside Christian missionaries and know several personally. Generally, they are the most genuinely religious Christian persons you will meet: not like the cafeteria Christians that you see on Facebook using the religion as a veneer for bigotry and stupidity. In fact, most of the Christian missionaries that I know are very anti-Trump and are socially progressive. Southern Baptist fire-and-brimstone types are not the types of churches that go do service work.

got my mid-term ballet. Since the democrats abandoned the middle class and support violence and censorship, I haven't voted for any of them since 2012 (thanks obama).

Senator is McSally (R) vs Sinema (D) vs Green (G). Sinema is a commie, so that is an easy elimination. Green is from the Green party so that helps a little but I need to read something very positive or I'm voting Trump.

Congress is Ferrara (R) vs Stanton (D).

Govna is Ducey (R) vs Garcia (D) vs Torres (G)

The rest is local stuff.

Saying that the Democrats "abandoned the middle class and support violence and censorship" is really fucking ironic. l

No, the Democrats haven't abandoned the middle class: their policies are much, much, much, much better for the middle class than the those of the Republican Party, which only furthered policies helpful to the middle class for about a ten-year period in the 50s. Also, lol @ censorship.

This is absolutely asinine. I honestly have no idea how you would be able to come to the conclusion that "the vast majority" of Christian missionaries don't actually believe in the religion they are spreading and are just....trying to what? Spread moral traditionalism? That doesn't even make sense, considering the third world countries in which they are proselytizing already have much more morally traditional societies that can be found in any Western Christian nation.

I've worked alongside Christian missionaries and know several personally. Generally, they are the most genuinely religious Christian persons you will meet: not like the cafeteria Christians that you see on Facebook using the religion as a veneer for bigotry and stupidity. In fact, most of the Christian missionaries that I know are very anti-Trump and are socially progressive. Southern Baptist fire-and-brimstone types are not the types of churches that go do service work.
There I go giving people too much credit for intelligence again?

I'm confident that essentially every Christian has exactly the same cognitive dissonance brewing inside, and privately knows it's a crock of shit, just like Mother Theresa. That's also an abuse of people, fostering that condition. I recognize that it's very painful.

I'm confident that essentially every Christian has exactly the same cognitive dissonance brewing inside, and privately knows it's a crock of shit, just like Mother Theresa. That's also an abuse of people, fostering that condition. I recognize that it's very painful.

I'm guessing that you weren't raise religious?

I'm guessing that you weren't raise religious?
Not in church. There was enough religious influence in my life that I had to take it seriously though. And all of my friends were religious but one.

You seriously think that every single person belonging to the largest religion in the world, secretly believe its all bullshit? What on Earth would lead you to think that? I could understand doubting people who profit from it, but what the hell is driving the rest?

You're being absurd. People have believed in far more nuttier shit than Christianity, to the point of murder, and self sacrifice, but for some reason Christianity is the ideology where all, what, 2 billion+ people are all in on some joke? That's some pretty ridiculous shit.

You seriously think that every single person belonging to the largest religion in the world, secretly believe its all bullshit? What on Earth would lead you to think that? I could understand doubting people who profit from it, but what the hell is driving the rest?

You're being absurd. People have believed in far more nuttier shit than Christianity, to the point of murder, and self sacrifice, but for some reason Christianity is the ideology where all, what, 2 billion+ people are all in on some joke? That's some pretty ridiculous shit.
In much the same way that people suspend their disbelief for immersion, they suspend their disbelief for the God and Jesus nonsense. It's a requirement to believe things that are clearly untrue. Yes, I believe that millions of Christians are all in on a joke, in some sense. They all choose to believe the same thing that nearly all of them know is nonsense. A whole lot of people believing utter delusional nonsense is of course not at all far-fetched.

I already accounted for people who believe nuttier things than standard Christians. There are mentally ill people (either diseased or victims of cults) who believe it's all true.

In much the same way that people suspend their disbelief for immersion, they suspend their disbelief for the God and Jesus nonsense.

Yeah, its called faith.

It's a requirement to believe things that are clearly untrue. Yes, I believe that millions of Christians are all in on a joke

LOL, that's a mighty big step back from "every single one of them".

What is more likely here, Fawlts? You're right in that most Christians don't truly believe, OR you're merely projecting your own belief onto others?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say its the latter.

Yeah, its called faith.

LOL, that's a mighty big step back from "every single one of them".

What is more likely here, Fawlts? You're right in that most Christians don't truly believe, OR you're merely projecting your own belief onto others?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say its the latter.
I'm confident in my assessment. You said it yourself, they have "faith." Which is exactly the suspension of disbelief. It's possible that many millions of people are just incredibly fucking stupid and innocently delusional, yet somehow manage to function in other areas without much trouble, but that seems very unlikely. The best explanation is that these people don't really believe this crap, but find it useful and comforting.

I'm confident in my assessment. You said it yourself, they have "faith." Which is exactly the suspension of disbelief.

Yes, Fawlts, its called "faith" and "belief" for a reason. They "believe" in it. They have "faith" that it is true. Secretly not believing in it, would be the opposite of belief and faith.

Oh', and FYI, your definition of "faith" is incorrect. Faith is a strong belief in something. Not the suspension of disbelief.

I guess, but IDK why you would make that mistake. I mean...have you seen the right wing posters here? Have you seen the comments section on any local news story? Believing in organized religion is hardly the litmus test for basic intelligence that you seem to think it is. There are parts of the world where literally 95+% of citizens are religious, and I assure you that they contain plenty of intelligent people who aren't being knowingly disingenuous to engage in some kind of self-serving moral hypocrisy.

Yes, Fawlts, its called "faith" and "belief" for a reason. They "believe" in it. They have "faith" that it is true. Secretly not believing in it, would be the opposite of belief and faith.

Oh', and FYI, your definition of "faith" is incorrect. Faith is a strong belief in something. Not the suspension of disbelief.

People without faith often struggle to believe it's real. Much like bigots always seem to think that everyone prefers to be around people that are the same as them.

People without faith often struggle to believe it's real. Much like bigots always seem to think that everyone prefers to be around people that are the same as them.
Probably the most unwarranted condescension I've seen from you. But it's a good example of how even very intelligent, rational and well-educated people can have a seemingly impossible blind spot.

Faith is very transparent, easy-to-understand stuff. It's not sophisticated, except in the sense that it's sophistry.

I guess, but IDK why you would make that mistake. I mean...have you seen the right wing posters here? Have you seen the comments section on any local news story? Believing in organized religion is hardly the litmus test for basic intelligence that you seem to think it is. There are parts of the world where literally 95+% of citizens are religious, and I assure you that they contain plenty of intelligent people who aren't being knowingly disingenuous to engage in some kind of self-serving moral hypocrisy.
They are actively practicing suspension of disbelief. They may be very good at it, and it may be second nature to them given enough reps, but it's still fantasy. And they know it.

Those are two phenomena with diametrical explanations, though. The former is founded in a level of knowledge and a dependence on reason that is less pronounced in persons of faith. The latter is founded in a complete lack of knowledge and dependence on limited experience rather than reason.

Personally, I have realized the perpetual blind spot that I have in implicitly assuming my own level of knowledge in other people. Like, I know that the average person is a moron and is unfamiliar with basic truths about things like public policy, but I still find myself assuming otherwise when grappling with their opinions. That is, once I know something it's hard for me understand and empathize the perspectives of persons who don't. It's weird and a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back