Fan who ran into Octagon to help McGregor at UFC 229 speaks out:

Video: UFC fan storms Octagon to save Conor McGregor — ‘He could have been killed’

When the shi* hit the fan at UFC 229 earlier this month in Las Vegas, Nevada, it was difficult to see just who was inside the Octagon when former lightweight champion, Conor McGregor, was slugging it out with members of Team Dagestan.

But amid all the security, event officials, and teammates from both SBG Ireland and American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), stood one lone fan — fueled by patriotism — protecting his “Notorious” hero from what could have been certain death.

That’s according to David Martin, a McGregor superfan who leapt over Daniel Cormier to slide into the Octagon after Khabib Nurmagomedov jumped over the cage and started brawling with Dillon Danis (video), because there was no way he was going to sit idly by while his fellow Irishman was outnumbered.

“In reality, if that guy that hit Conor in the head hit him in a different spot, like right-center of the back of the head and it could have been a fatal blow and Conor could have been dead,” Martin told For The Win. “It happens all the time at nightclubs, somebody gets punched right in back of head and it’s a fatal blow. Just because you’re Conor McGregor it doesn’t mean that something like that can’t happen to you. I thought Conor could be killed and those guys were going in to kill him and that’s what I could not have happen.”

McGregor had just been submitted by Nurmagomedov after four rounds of exhausting action when Zubaira Tukhugov and his fellow goons charged at “Notorious” — who was not without fault — once the cageside brawl got underway.

“I was talking to [McGregor] and I just held onto him and pushed security away with Kavanagh because he didn’t want them on him too much, he wanted them to back off a bit,” Martin said. “I put an arm on Conor and one on the cage and told him to calm down and breathe. My thing was to calm him down – the last thing I wanted was for Conor to go after everyone.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/10/17...ave-conor-mcgregor-could-have-been-killed-mma

“Ship hit the fan?” Who is this amateur hour writer?

Dude you know NOTHING about life in the north Caucuses and how wild these people are.

Its part of the culture to give young kids weapons training as soon as they are able to walk, and the region is plagued with wars and on going blood fueds between families/clans/tribes and they live by an honor code/law that predates Islam. Blood fueds are common place - people get killed there for what would be "minor" thinks in the west.

Russians have tried to take over the region and tame these mountain people going on almost 3 centuries - cant do it.

These people DO NOT play.

I guarantee you a significant portion of the kavkaz -russian khabib fans who were wealthy enough to fly out to the fight and get seats were tied in with war lords and god knows what else.

for reference see this documentary:

Oh, I know that, and am not saying that blood feuds and hardness is not a huge part and parcel of Caucus life. What I am saying is based upon the make up of both these groups, or atleast parts of them, that we got lucky that nothing more serious happened. What I am more worried about is that in a rematch, we may see ugliness escalate. No way they can do a rematch in Dublin or Russia, especially seeing as things got so heated. The same blood feuds that exist in Dagestan exist in Ireland, and with peoples associated with people that Conor has rolled with (aka Kinahan Cartel from above doc, who tried to originally get seats but were denied).

These people have also been known to shoot up weigh ins, so I just hope things dont escalate any further than they have.

Guys...look. Until you have another human being willingly act as cannon fodder for your protection, you are simply not living.

Lol@ the security guard at the cage door who pushes the kid into the crowd!

clearly a Sherbro. Fess up whoever you are!

PROlogic is a real life hero <DCWhoa>

No this was Prologic
conor-fan.png

Dude was dressed for the part n sneaked right in.. super smooth I must say lmao
<mma4>

Glaring security issues IMO for the UFC

Why the heck was Cormier so emotional over this?? Man that guy gets on my nerves.

Haha just imagine that guy could be anyone of us...perhaps someone in this very thread........

Just Bleed guy now has a rival.

Could of Bled is this mans new name

Dagestan doesn't have warlords.
The only active wars are small pockets of insurgent groups who mainly operate in the woods and remote areas of the various republics. It isn't any more violent than most developing regions of the world. Latin America and South Africa are far more dangerous places.

Oh, I know that, and am not saying that blood feuds and hardness is not a huge part and parcel of Caucus life. What I am saying is based upon the make up of both these groups, or atleast parts of them, that we got lucky that nothing more serious happened. What I am more worried about is that in a rematch, we may see ugliness escalate. No way they can do a rematch in Dublin or Russia, especially seeing as things got so heated. The same blood feuds that exist in Dagestan exist in Ireland, and with peoples associated with people that Conor has rolled with (aka Kinahan Cartel from above doc, who tried to originally get seats but were denied).

These people have also been known to shoot up weigh ins, so I just hope things dont escalate any further than they have.

@Sakuraba7 I know dagestan doesnt have active wars or war lords currently - I was speaking about the north caucuses in general. There isnt (nor has there ever really) been a street crime problem in the region, so in that sense you are correct in saying there are more dangerous places.

@ImNotSurpisedDonks!

Wow that shooting at the weigh in is crazy. I agree with what you are saying, this could all turn very very ugly given that there are crazy people with propensity towards violence on both sides.

Hopefully no innocent people get hurt.

I think canceling the Zubaira vs Artem fight was a good call

@Sakuraba7 I know dagestan doesnt have active wars or war lords currently - I was speaking about the north caucuses in general. There isnt (nor has there ever really) been a street crime problem in the region, so in that sense you are correct in saying there are more dangerous places.

The North Caucasus in general isn't that violent nowadays, the small insurgent groups don't inflict any significant amount of fatalities. There's more political violence related deaths in the US (mass shootings), India and Central Africa (by ethnic separatists/nationalists in each), even if you discount street crime which is rampant throughout Latin America and South Africa.

Wonder what his Sherdog username is?
Lo, no Sherbro is getting front row tickets to a McGregor show. His seats were probably worth more than most on here make a year. He is the type of guy that just wanted to go see his countryman celebrity perform in Vegas, knows shit about MMA (didn't even know DC trained Khabib), and the type of casual that has serious money. He probably does not even know why Tony Ferguson is.

Back