NCAA Wrestling

Surprised to see not a single Japanese woman advancing to the finals on day 2... day 3 will be strong though, 2017 champs, Susaki and Okuno.

57kg will be fun, too. Not sure how this Sakagami is, but assuming she wins her first two matches, she will face Olympic and World champ Maroulis in the quarter-final. Maroulis has such a nice style.

Sakigami isn't very good, I don't know how she keeps making the team. Probably won't medal

Since you seem to be keeping a tally of these kinda things, you might like to know Sidakova (silver today) is Ossetian

Just caught that 65 final. I can’t believe that Japanese kid is only 19! And the pace from Bajrang was unreal. Japan was just too slick and skilled.

Apparently he's buddies with Lee and Yianni. They were posting about him on Twitter. Has get their competitive juices flowing

Sakigami isn't very good, I don't know how she keeps making the team. Probably won't medal

Since you seem to be keeping a tally of these kinda things, you might like to know Sidakova (silver today) is Ossetian
....and she got put out in the first round, lol. Ningning Rong looks great though, she teched all but one of her opponents and beat the other by fall.

I am sad to see the Russian team do so badly... we are at least capable of getting A bronze, I was high on Stalvira Orshush getting a medal, after pinning last year's world champ at this year's Euro's. But maybe not...

I knew that :p she looked good, too. Belarus have a nice women's team.

Yukako Kawai (is 2x world champ and 2016's olympic champ)'s sister, Risako Kawai. Yukako is also in the final.

I also hope La'roqque loses, she has such a weird style and never attacks. Just bounces up and looking 'busy'.

I am sad to see the Russian team do so badly... we are at least capable of getting A bronze, I was high on Stalvira Orshush getting a medal, after pinning last year's world champ at this year's Euro's. But maybe not...

Russia's women's team does suck right now and it's kinda interesting to watch them because their mens team is totally owned by Dagestanis, Chechens, and Ossetians, but those regions (especially the first two) don't really 'do' women's sports so we get to see what Russia look like without them. They have to rely on ethnic Russians (squeezed out of their men's freestyle team a long time ago) and various Siberian mongol types (clinging on to the fringes of the men's team) to make up the numbers instead.
And the results are... not great.

Though I have some sympathy for the coach (assuming he might quit/get pushed out now) coz their star competitors always get derailed with major long term injuries (Koblova, Ovcharova) leaving a very weak team behind.

Orshush was their best candidate this year but the light weight class is too loaded with the azn little people hordes, had a hard draw.

Yukako Kawai (is 2x world champ and 2016's olympic champ)'s sister, Risako Kawai. Yukako is also in the final.

if you want a good lol (and a much needed boost of image of the russian team):

I also hope La'roqque loses, she has such a weird style and never attacks. Just bounces up and looking 'busy'.

agree

if you want a good lol (and a much needed boost of image of the russian team):

agree

Wow, nice comeback. We can do pretty well on the Women's cadet/junior level, everything goes badly.

I am still sad about Koblova though...

Some of the "ethnic" Russians are pretty good at Greco though, at least we have those guys lol. Like Surkov and Topoev, although I believe they are not 100% ethnic Russian

Wow, nice comeback. We can do pretty well on the Women's cadet/junior level, everything goes badly.

I am still sad about Koblova though...

Some of the "ethnic" Russians are pretty good at Greco though, at least we have those guys lol. Like Surkov and Topoev, although I believe they are not 100% ethnic Russian
Is it the same with judo? Where the vast majority of top guys are from the Caucasus? Because that has not been the case with MMA. We have seen quite a few ethnic Russians over the years rise to prominence in MMA. AT least I think so. Although nw that I think of it, many of them had "ov" names too. Or maybe that isn't relevant to the discussion.
Andrei Semenov
Amar Sulouev (I believe he is actually Armenian)
Ansar Chalangov
Sergei Kharitonov
Oleg Taktarov

Is it the same with judo? Where the vast majority of top guys are from the Caucasus? Because that has not been the case with MMA. We have seen quite a few ethnic Russians over the years rise to prominence in MMA. AT least I think so. Although nw that I think of it, many of them had "ov" names too. Or maybe that isn't relevant to the discussion.
Andrei Semenov
Amar Sulouev (I believe he is actually Armenian)
Ansar Chalangov
Sergei Kharitonov
Oleg Taktarov
Caucasian people and Russian people have names with -ov, but you can usually tell a Caucasian person, for they have names that end with -ev: Uguev, Sadulaev, Baitsaev, Tedeev etc, but they can have the -ov ending, too. But Russian names usually sound more Russian, lol, like the opposite of names like Muslimov, Islamov, Mohammadov, Akhmedov etc. But just look at the first name, it is much easier lol.

In Judo it is mixed, but there are guys from many countries and republics in the team, Armenia, Georgia, Siberian Mongols etc, too many to count lol

Looks like the Greco guys all have rough roads to medal.
Doesn't it always seem that way? Our guys just don't have the hardware. It would be amazing though incredibly unlikely to see Hazewinkle get a medal. I think our best shots at medals are Thielke who's kinda like the Logan Stieber of greco in that he can beat most anybody but is woefully inconsistent. Kamal Bey could medal. And maybe Coon.

Susaki became a two-time world champion and tech-falled her final opponent, Stadnik. Who would have thought?

Doesn't it always seem that way? Our guys just don't have the hardware. It would be amazing though incredibly unlikely to see Hazewinkle get a medal. I think our best shots at medals are Thielke who's kinda like the Logan Stieber of greco in that he can beat most anybody but is woefully inconsistent. Kamal Bey could medal. And maybe Coon.
Looks like it’s happening again for the next group. More kids need to start doing Greco here in the US.

Every story I’ve heard about Lindland gives me a bad feeling about him as a coach

Every story I’ve heard about Lindland gives me a bad feeling about him as a coach
Really? That sucks. I've always rooted for him as coach bc he's from MMA. And I remember hearing he was doing a good job getting cadets into greco. But I hadn't heard much as far as his actual coaching.

Back