News DJ For Askren trade is a done deal

1) Well, ONE now has one of the best in the world and one of the best of all time.

2) The UFC no longer prioritises collecting the best talent in the world. This has been clear for a couple of years but, with Alvarez and DJ leaving, is now undeniable.

3) FLW could well be axed. I’m torn. On the one hand the division remains extremely shallow and it has yielded only a handful of really good fights. Losing it would hardly be painful. On the other hand, athletes of this size represent some of the best boxers ever, and have produced some of the most iconic boxing fights of all time, so I would still recommend patience. FLW was clearly introduced prematurely, but after six years they may as well keep the division around and hope that the talent pool increases.

4) This is great for the UFC’s anti-trust suit. If they lost, it would cost them tens of millions and open the way to dramatic regulatory change that would alter (wreck?) the sport. The UFC’s case is getting stronger every time they allow top talent to leave.

5) I’m looking forward to seeing what Askren can do.

6) WME do not understand what fans want, and do not give a shit. We want the UFC to collect the best, not disperse them.

7) Making trades with ONE and possibly axing FLW, which can recruit from Latin America and Asia, underlines the UFC’s continuing pivot away from its attempt at ‘global domination’ begun in 2014. The strategy failed, largely due to over-saturation, diluted card quality, poor local knowledge/marketing, and an inability/unwillingness to bring major stars to new markets at a time of day that permitted live broadcast in that market. It also didn’t help that they tried to break into too many new markets simultaneously, without being patient or focusing. I guess it really was all about boosting the value of the company prior to a sale.

Who at ONE is going to beat DJ?

so weird.

DJ finally loses in a super close fight that could've gone either way and just leaves? won't even do his rematch?

This is my thought as well. But I'm also pretty stoked about Askren joining the UFC.

so weird.

DJ finally loses in a super close fight that could've gone either way and just leaves? won't even do his rematch?
theyre closing 125, and henry is gonna fight tj its looking like. so no title fight right away for DJ. and maybe he wants to leave anyways, probably because he doesnt wanna be forced up to 135 in UFC. ONE is a better fit

This must be the quickest a 10 time champion falls from grace. Whether,
It’s right or not, it’s crazy!

Good riddance. Demetrius was never willing to play ball and now that he lost, he'd be even more of a plague on the division. Merge 125 and 135 into one stacked 130 pound division and call it a day.

639893_9f033118e6d44ea78c07f56018840822~mv2.jpg

Bye Flyweights

so weird.

Day after he lost the number of articles and social media posts about him dropped off significantly.

Most of us feel like he destroyed his division. We don't want him back. But we also don't want Ben. But, at least he talks trash? So he'll sell his first 2 fights.

I don't care what the majority of people think anyways.

I rely on my eyes and ears first and foremost.

Not a super close fight. Mouse lost to Cejudo.
Maybe you shouldn't rely on them since you clearly don't understand mma.

Askren is a great wrestler, undefeated and all but after watching his last few fights a couple days ago, idk why the did this shit trade. He's got 0 striking. Nada. Usman, colby and twood would make him look silly, maybe khabib and gsp too. He isn't a draw either smh. They really did hate mm.
Lol only people that have a remote chance against Askren is Colby and GSP because they have good defensive wrestling and the cardio to keep up with his pace. Usman's wrestling is hilariously overrated (division 2 .. REALLY?!?!?!) and Woodley is getting up there in years but i could see askren cage pressing for 25 minutes in that fight.

theyre closing 125, and henry is gonna fight tj its looking like. so no title fight right away for DJ. and maybe he wants to leave anyways, probably because he doesnt wanna be forced up to 135 in UFC. ONE is a better fit
49 replies, and this is the first mention of Cejudo. hes gotta be pissed. Worked his ass off to get the world title, and 6 months later, the division is being dissolved

Someone didn't get the memo.

Just because he got signed doesn't mean Dana doesn't still consider him a shitbox. Which he is. I wouldn't want to interact with him on Twitter either.

Back