Lawler is a tough fight for Askren

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.
You'd think the UFC would give him an easy fight against a striker, but then again the UFC and Askren don't exactly have the best history.

Who wins and how?

Yeah, interesting choice.

We haven't seen Lawler in a while and he didn't look great against Dos Anjos. But he's still dangerous.

Anyway, it will be good test to see where Askren stands.

Lawler is another one who has looked a shadow of himself since USADA. I think Rory was right about him.

I think Askren should take it but Lawler is no walk in the park. Also a decent name for Aksren if he does win.

I dunno that UFC should give him an easy fight. It could just be the case that Dana White still doesn't like him and wants to see him get his shit pushed in by Lawlor.

It's not as if Askren is some kind of young prospect that they can build up by throwing him softballs. He already has been getting fed softballs for his whole career so may as well see if he will sink or swim against an actual high level fighter.

Perfect test for Askren to see if hes actually UFC champion level.

I dunno that UFC should give him an easy fight. It could just be the case that Dana White still doesn't like him and wants to see him get his shit pushed in by Lawlor.

It's not as if Askren is some kind of young prospect that they can build up by throwing him softballs. He already has been getting fed softballs for his whole career so may as well see if he will sink or swim against an actual high level fighter.
Rankings wise it's a good fight that makes sense, just style wise it could be rough. I guess we'll see.

If its the lawler that fought Hendricks , yes it is!

Its a smart choice for his debut, Lawler is a shadow of his former self but still has name recognition so a nice easy win which looks good on paper and builds hype.

He didn't look great against RDA.
He didnt. However, Ben does not have the tool set RDA has.

In fact, I kind if wish Ben was fighting RDA, but this could be a good fight. It's either going to be a desperate wrestlingfucking bore fest or we're getting a Brenneman fro bounce.

Lawler is a great fighter, but he gets taken down all the time and has not exhibited really powerful one strike knockout power for some time by guys with really modest wrestling ability. He also seems to fall into periods of inactivity during rounds, probably to preserve his cardio and maintain some kind of punching power - he will not be afforded that resting time against someone that is going for takedown after takedown. I think it's a really favourable match-up for Askren who should be able to complete on takedowns all night long

Strange combination but good test for Askren as newcomer.

Personally I hope Robbie puts his fist through his face, but should be an interesting watch.

I reckon Moonface would of put Askren in with Lesnar had he gotten away with it.

"I don't hate Ben and I never blocked him from twitter" lol

Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.
You'd think the UFC would give him an easy fight against a striker, but then again the UFC and Askren don't exactly have the best history.

Who wins and how?
Lawler attacks Cerrone with clinch knees straight out of the gate, follows up with short punches and uppercuts as he holds "Cowboy" in the collar tie. Cerrone breaks away, looking slightly dazed and with a swollen eye, but Lawler comes straight back to clinch again. Cerrone exits the tie-up with a knee to the body this time, but the Jackson-Wink MMA product soon finds himself shoved against the wall by the former champion. Lawler lands another elbow in the clinch, now an uppercut before feeding a few knees up the center. Cerrone tries to change levels for a takedown; it's stuffed by Lawler and turned into another clinch on the fence. Lawler catches Cerrone changing levels again and gives him a knee to the face. Cerrone's next takedown attempt is successful, driving Lawler to the canvas near the center of the cage with two minutes on the clock. Lawler uses a half-butterfly guard as he looks to find space to escape. Cerrone stays heavy on top, peppering Lawler's body and head with short punches, now passing to side control. Cerrone advances to north-south position with 65 seconds remaining, but Lawler is able to scramble to his feet. Cerrone lands a clinch elbow, slaps Lawler's face with a right high kick.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...undbyRound-Scoring-125339#AoTJgA8lTA9oGotR.99

Easy win for Askren. Lawler is pretty much done. He is not as serious. Lawler can win though but I don't see it.

Back