Serious Philosophy Discussion

I'd be surprised if everyone didn't say stupid things, we are only human after all. Philosophy is not dead, but it branched from philosophy into two:

The study and discussion of reality as informed by every means necessary.

And

Historical philosophy fan discussion untethered from reality.

There are people who study philosophy now, metaphysics and the like who don't have any understanding or interest in science. It was never supposed to be an art but that's largely what it's become. People who are unqualified to wax lyrical on the matter regurgitating lines from men long dead who's suppositions were based on long eclipsed understand of reality.

I am a beginner in the realm of philosophy but let me point out to you that ancient philosophy ie Aristotle, was the father and inventor of physics and the study of the physical world. Unless you are talking about the presocratics then there is no such thing as philosophy divorced from science in the sense you state it.

Reality as subjectively perceived by individuals? Or some universal objective reality? If the later, how is it discovered?

Objective reality as it is more true for more people, subjective reality is only really relevant to the subject and their therapist.

What do you mean, where do they fit?

Of course, everything is probabilities, we use the most effective model until it's superseded by something more accurate.

Math is not a real thing though. Take the values of quantity for example. What is the quantity of this forum or earth? It depends on what you are looking for. Math switches with our attention. As William James said

• Every way of classifying a thing is but a way of handling it for some particular purpose.

so what number are you? one. you may be part of a family. maybe a party of 5. if you are american you are 1 of 300 million. depends on the purpose.

Objective reality as it is more true for more people, subjective reality is only really relevant to the subject and their therapist.

So it is simply sheer numbers game? Majority rule? That is how science is decided? I think not.

I am a beginner in the realm of philosophy but let me point out to you that ancient philosophy ie Aristotle, was the father and inventor of physics and the study of the physical world. Unless you are talking about the presocratics then there is no such thing as philosophy divorced from science in the sense you state it.

There most certainly is. As modern science was born in the 17thC those that had the ability transcended and those that didn't disappeared up their and everyone else's arse.

The mistake that many make is that they emulate those like Aristotle, people who observed the world and drew conclusions, where as we have long since developed our tools past the point of such a recreational approach.

This seems pretty limited. Do you believe that objective reality (or truth) has been sufficiently obtained by anyone? If so, is it (reality/truth) restricted to observable concrete concepts?

There most certainly is. As modern science was born in the 17thC those that had the ability transcended and those that didn't disappeared up their and everyone else's arse.

The mistake that many make is that they emulate those like Aristotle, people who observed the world and drew conclusions, where as we have long since developed our tools past the point of such a recreational approach.

Yes but Aristotle began this approach, he invented it.......

Aristotle invented deductive reasoning and formalised logic. He went beyond the useful dialectic conversation to establishing premises from which logical conclusions could be drawn and used to build further premises.

Aristotle also performed pioneering research in zoology, classifying animals into different types based on physical characteristics. He perceived a continuum of simpler and more complex forms of life, and in devising the beginnings of taxonomic classification, he is celebrated as the father of zoology. Though he used different terms, he recognized a fundamental distinction between vertebrates and invertebrates. He was able to distinguish whales and dolphins from fish and completed anatomical studies of cephalopods and crustaceans that are still valid today. Aristotle articulated an understanding of the water cycle long before it could be verified and also determined that the Earth is round.

Probability is literally how science is decided.

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with probability. It has to do with addition. If more people believe in a thing, it is more true. You said so yourself. By your logic, the more people believe in something, the more probable it is true. Which is an absurd statement.

And reality knows nothing of probability. It is not a part of existence. More man made shit. When you worship science, you worship man. It was put better by Schopenhauer. The world is our idea. When we disappear, so does the idea.

Last edited:
If man didn't exist would the Pythagorean theorem be true? No. Because there would nobody around to claim or think it. Truth is another manmade invention. Nietzsche put it best when he said truth is a sum of human relations. Exactly. It is a custom.

What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms -- in short, a sum of human relations, which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people: truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that is what they are; metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins.

We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from; for as yet we have heard only of the obligation imposed by society that it should exist: to be truthful means using the customary metaphors - in moral terms, the obligation to lie according to fixed convention, to lie herd-like in a style obligatory for all...

Last edited:
There are people who study philosophy now, metaphysics and the like who don't have any understanding or interest in science.

Your other statements aside, I don't completely disagree with this.

It's fun to talk about, but philosophy without scientific citations has become less intellectually compelling for me as time has moved forward.

Anyone can come up with a theory. Properly comparing the theory to the data is the hard part.

I should think that philosophical discussions of scientific findings are welcome in this thread as well, Bullitt's commentary on cosmology notwithstanding.

If man didn't exist would the Pythagorean theorem be true? No. Because there would nobody around to claim or think it. Truth is another manmade invention.

That seems like precisely the wrong example to make your point with imo.

If man didn't exist would the Pythagorean theorem be true? No. Because there would nobody around to claim or think it. Truth is another manmade invention. Nietzsche put it best when he said truth is a sum of human relations. Exactly. It is a custom.

What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms -- in short, a sum of human relations, which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people: truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that is what they are; metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins.

We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from; for as yet we have heard only of the obligation imposed by society that it should exist: to be truthful means using the customary metaphors - in moral terms, the obligation to lie according to fixed convention, to lie herd-like in a style obligatory for all...

I appreciate the general sentiment. The pythagorean theorem would still exist were there no humans in existence though. The name of the theorem and the specific formulation of it would not exist but the reality it describes would still exist.

Is that what you mean?

I appreciate the general sentiment. The pythagorean theorem would still exist were there no humans in existence though. The name of the theorem and the specific formulation of it would not exist but the reality it describes would still exist.

Is that what you mean?

I don't think so. The reality it describes is from the point of view of one particular subject, take away that subject and you take away that point of view.

Berkley is kinda is interesting. I think he thought that all things that exist must be thought of. Every thought has ownership. Like a very distant planet that we have never discovered or perceived. Berkley would say it exists because God knows about it. All thoughts are accounted for by someone or something. Plato basically thought thoughts are immortal. That is like what we are discussing.

Your other statements aside, I don't completely disagree with this.

It's fun to talk about, but philosophy without scientific citations has become less intellectually compelling for me as time has moved forward.

Anyone can come up with a theory. Properly comparing the theory to the data is the hard part.

I should think that philosophical discussions of scientific findings are welcome in this thread as well, Bullitt's commentary on cosmology notwithstanding.

That seems like precisely the wrong example to make your point with imo.

How is it wrong?

I don't think so. The reality it describes is from the point of view of one particular subject, take away that subject and you take away that point of view.
I'd argue that it's an objective reality tho

I have a problem with crediting a very well known principle to someone else.

I wasn't crediting her as the creator of the idea - you could really go back all the way to Aristotle and find similar epistemological rules of thumb - I was attributing the specific words in the formulation that I put in quotes to her as an indication that the words in quotes were her words, not my own.

I don't believe any philosophy is irrational, else it would not be philosophy.

Philosophy is an activity, not a result. The activity is thinking, the result is (hopefully) rational thought...but that's not always what results. The simple dictionary definition of "irrational" is "not logical or reasonable." There really isn't a single philosopher or philosophy who/that you'd call illogical or unreasonable for a single reason? Seriously?

Stay tuned for me and Caveat's discussion. This issue will come up again and I'll go into more detail as to why I find it so objectionable.

Your questions seem to miss my point. Whether or not I think there are good and bad irrational thinkers, irrational is clearly a pejorative term. Labeling your "ennemies" with such terms is a quick way to discredit them.

Well, sure, it's better to be rational than irrational. But "irrational" is still an adjective that can - and should - be used to describe philosophers/philosophies who/that are not logical or reasonable.

Again, more on that below in my conversation with Caveat.

Your above discussion seem to miss the real point of stoic ethics. The first words of the Manual is : some things are up to us, some things are not (loose translation).

Have I missed the point or do I just not agree with the point? It seems like I've got a handle on what it is and what it preaches and just don't value it much.

Epictetus was a slave and happy while tortured. What is not in your control should not affect you.

See? This is what I'm saying. This is some Serenity Now shit. I get it, I just don't agree with it. Imagine telling Spartacus to just be happy, he can't control being a slave...

Edit : you also seem to mistake negation with opposite. Death is "no-life", not the opposite of life. No-white is not necessarily black. Not-great (assuming life is great) is not the opposite of great (miserable).

This is a distinction without a difference. End of life, negation of life, opposite of life...call it what you want: It isn't life therefore it sucks.

Edit2: I am also not sure opposites entice opposite states. The opposite of temerity is cowardice. Both are bad states of being. One because it is excess, the other because it is lacking.

This is the "mean" idea that's prevalent in both Western and Eastern philosophy. I have no objections to this. If you go the "lesser evil" route, then, though neither temerity nor cowardice is ideal, I'd rather have/be around someone who has temerity than be/be around someone who is a coward.

We're all in this together kumbaya guy.

giphy.gif

That HAS to be a more explicit outline somewhere of the contribution of philosophical innovations to the development of the Western world, I just need to figure out what exactly to google. I suppose most intellectual histories are essentially that, they just tend to be a little vague, so please don't throw Russell at me (though I approve of the earlier citations @faustian).

I can't think of anything, and that's actually kind of sad.

Hahaha. I think that your fixation with Objectivism is interfering with your openness to this belief system.

I'll let Eric Weinstein answer this for me.

Also, keep in mind that psychological science is more a descriptive enterprise than a normative one. So you might find a psychologist who will agree that perspectives about certain problems can be manipulated, but you won't find many telling you how exactly you should manipulate them.

Fair enough. But people like Carl Rogers, while they wouldn't just tell everyone how to "manipulate problems," would tell specific people how to manipulate their problems, right? It's case-by-case, but you can still determine better/worse and right/wrong case-by-case, no?

I'll explain as best I can in my own language [...] I'll leave it at that for now to see if you agree with how I've paraphrased her position.

You've got the gist. Now I'll go through the specifics here and then the ball will be in your court.

This is a strictly logical problem

One of the major tenets of Objectivism is that there's no such thing as a "strictly logical" problem if what is meant by that is that it only exists in some "theoretical" realm with absolutely no contact with any "practical" realm. In her essay "Philosophical Detection," Rand wrote the following:

"'This may be good in theory, but it doesn’t work in practice.' What is a theory? It is a set of abstract principles purporting to be either a correct description of reality or a set of guidelines for man's actions. Correspondence to reality is the standard of value by which one estimates a theory. If a theory is inapplicable to reality, by what standard can it be estimated as 'good'? If one were to accept that notion, it would mean: a. that the activity of man's mind is unrelated to reality; b. that the purpose of thinking is neither to acquire knowledge nor to guide man's actions."

So, if the concept of a "strictly logical" problem has any real meaning, it's that it isn't a real problem.

I suspect from my brief skimming of Rand's thought that she dismisses the problem the same way Sam Harris does in The Moral Landscape.

Still haven't gotten around to reading any of Harris' stuff but you write clearly so I'm sure I'll be able to follow along...

First, re-articulating the problem above - if facts are unequivocally objective (we'll accept that for now), but values can't be derived from facts, how can we derive objective values?

To make sure that I'm following, I have to ask: Where did the "values can't be derived from facts" premise come from? I'll grant it for argument's sake here, but, by "re-articulating the problem," are you identifying as the problem that "values can't be derived from facts"?

Here's one way:

Good syllogism:
1. [Universal objective value]
2. [Fact]
3. [Normative conclusion]

Personally, I'd have it:

1. [Objective value]
2. [Fact]
3. [Objective conclusion]

"Universal" is redundant in #1 and "Normative" allows for subjective wiggle room. But, I digress...

Rand's universal objective value is something like "promoting the life of the organism is good," which, to her credit, is at least clear.

Pretty much. Promoting life is the baseline, the bare minimum, while, in an Aristotelian vein, eudaimonia, or "flourishing," is the height to which we should aspire (hence my characterization of Objectivism as a perfectionist philosophy).

Sam's is something like "whatever is a universal objective value is good" because he's a goof.

Clarity and comedy: My favorite combination :D

With the above structure, Rand gets to derive all sorts of normative conclusions from facts because the universal objective value can't be denied.

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "can't be denied"? Assuming I know what you mean, this is a perfect example to explain why the theory/practice dichotomy is a false one and why the is-ought "problem" isn't a problem. It's not that you can't deny it - the way that a computer can't not turn on when you press the Power button (provided it's functioning, it has a working battery/full charge, yada yada yada) - it's that you can't deny it and live to your fullest potential. People can deny that promoting life is a value - those are the people who kill themselves. People can deny that working to flourish is a value - those are the people who lead lives of quiet desperation à la Thoreau.

As near as I can tell - this is for you, as well, French Canadian - the problem that people have with words like "objective," "logical," "rational," etc., is that they allow for judgments to be made on the basis of which some people are judged as not being objective, not being logical, not being rational, etc. That's why people - from all walks of life, of all stripes - take comfort in relativism (even if they proclaim themselves hostile to relativism), that's why people like stupid ideas like "That's your truth," thereby destroying the concept of "truth," or "Whatever's good for you is good," thereby destroying the concept of "good," etc.: It allows them an intellectual and moral "safe space" in which to live their lives.

giphy.gif

As is usually the case, I'm with Rand. Because it's short, I'm just going to post her entire essay from The Virtue of Selfishness entitled "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?":

"I will confine my answer to a single, fundamental aspect of this question. I will name only one principle, the opposite of the idea which is so prevalent today and which is responsible for the spread of evil in the world. That principle is: One must never fail to pronounce moral judgment.

Nothing can corrupt and disintegrate a culture or a man’s character as thoroughly as does the precept of moral agnosticism, the idea that one must never pass moral judgment on others, that one must be morally tolerant of anything, that the good consists of never distinguishing good from evil.

It is obvious who profits and who loses by such a precept. It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men’s virtues and from condemning men’s vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you—whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?

But to pronounce moral judgment is an enormous responsibility. To be a judge, one must possess an unimpeachable character; one need not be omniscient or infallible, and it is not an issue of errors of knowledge; one needs an un-breached integrity, that is, the absence of any indulgence in conscious, willful evil. Just as a judge in a court of law may err, when the evidence is inconclusive, but may not evade the evidence available, nor accept bribes, nor allow any personal feeling, emotion, desire or fear to obstruct his mind’s judgment of the facts of reality—so every rational person must maintain an equally strict and solemn integrity in the courtroom within his own mind, where the responsibility is more awesome than in a public tribunal, because he, the judge, is the only one to know when he has been impeached.

There is, however, a court of appeal from one’s judgments: objective reality. A judge puts himself on trial every time he pronounces a verdict. It is only in today’s reign of amoral cynicism, subjectivism and hooliganism that men may imagine themselves free to utter any sort of irrational judgment and to suffer no consequences. But, in fact, a man is to be judged by the judgments he pronounces. The things which he condemns or extols exist in objective reality and are open to the independent appraisal of others. It is his own moral character and standards that he reveals, when he blames or praises. If he condemns America and extols Soviet Russia—or if he attacks businessmen and defends juvenile delinquents—or if he denounces a great work of art and praises trash—it is the nature of his own soul that he confesses.

It is their fear of this responsibility that prompts most people to adopt an attitude of indiscriminate moral neutrality. It is the fear best expressed in the precept: 'Judge not, that ye be not judged.' But that precept, in fact, is an abdication of moral responsibility: it is a moral blank check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank check one expects for oneself.

There is no escape from the fact that men have to make choices; so long as men have to make choices, there is no escape from moral values; so long as moral values are at stake, no moral neutrality is possible. To abstain from condemning a torturer, is to become an accessory to the torture and murder of his victims.

The moral principle to adopt in this issue, is: 'Judge, and be prepared to be judged.'

The opposite of moral neutrality is not a blind, arbitrary, self-righteous condemnation of any idea, action or person that does not fit one’s mood, one’s memorized slogans or one’s snap judgment of the moment. Indiscriminate tolerance and indiscriminate condemnation are not two opposites: they are two variants of the same evasion. To declare that 'everybody is white' or 'everybody is black' or 'everybody is neither white nor black, but gray,' is not a moral judgment, but an escape from the responsibility of moral judgment.

To judge means: to evaluate a given concrete by reference to an abstract principle or standard. It is not an easy task; it is not a task that can be performed automatically by one’s feelings, 'instincts' or hunches. It is a task that requires the most precise, the most exacting, the most ruthlessly objective and rational process of thought. It is fairly easy to grasp abstract moral principles; it can be very difficult to apply them to a given situation, particularly when it involves the moral character of another person. When one pronounces moral judgment, whether in praise or in blame, one must be prepared to answer 'Why?' and to prove one’s case—to oneself and to any rational inquirer.

The policy of always pronouncing moral judgment does not mean that one must regard oneself as a missionary charged with the responsibility of 'saving everyone’s soul'—nor that one must give unsolicited moral appraisals to all those one meets. It means: (a) that one must know clearly, in full, verbally identified form, one’s own moral evaluation of every person, issue and event with which one deals, and act accordingly; (b) that one must make one’s moral evaluation known to others, when it is rationally appropriate to do so.

This last means that one need not launch into unprovoked moral denunciations or debates, but that one must speak up in situations where silence can objectively be taken to mean agreement with or sanction of evil. When one deals with irrational persons, where argument is futile, a mere 'I don’t agree with you' is sufficient to negate any implication of moral sanction. When one deals with better people, a full statement of one’s views may be morally required. But in no case and in no situation may one permit one’s own values to be attacked or denounced, and keep silent.

Moral values are the motive power of a man’s actions. By pronouncing moral judgment, one protects the clarity of one’s own perception and the rationality of the course one chooses to pursue. It makes a difference whether one thinks that one is dealing with human errors of knowledge or with human evil.

Observe how many people evade, rationalize and drive their minds into a state of blind stupor, in dread of discovering that those they deal with—their 'loved ones' or friends or business associates or political rulers—are not merely mistaken, but evil. Observe that this dread leads them to sanction, to help and to spread the very evil whose existence they fear to acknowledge.

If people did not indulge in such abject evasions as the claim that some contemptible liar 'means well'—that a mooching bum 'can’t help it'—that a juvenile delinquent 'needs love'—that a criminal 'doesn’t know any better'—that a power-seeking politician is moved by patriotic concern for 'the public good'—that communists are merely 'agrarian reformers'—the history of the past few decades, or centuries, would have been different.

Ask yourself why totalitarian dictatorships find it necessary to pour money and effort into propaganda for their own helpless, chained, gagged slaves, who have no means of protest or defense. The answer is that even the humblest peasant or the lowest savage would rise in blind rebellion, were he to realize that he is being immolated, not to some incomprehensible 'noble purpose,' but to plain, naked human evil.

Observe also that moral neutrality necessitates a progressive sympathy for vice and a progressive antagonism to virtue. A man who struggles not to acknowledge that evil is evil, finds it increasingly dangerous to acknowledge that the good is the good. To him, a person of virtue is a threat that can topple all of his evasions—particularly when an issue of justice is involved, which demands that he take sides. It is then that such formulas as 'Nobody is ever fully right or fully wrong' and 'Who am I to judge?' take their lethal effect. The man who begins by saying: 'There is some good in the worst of us,' goes on to say: 'There is some bad in the best of us'—then: 'There’s got to be some bad in the best of us'—and then: 'It’s the best of us who make life difficult—why don’t they keep silent?—who are they to judge?'

And then, on some gray, middle-aged morning, such a man realizes suddenly that he has betrayed all the values he had loved in his distant spring, and wonders how it happened, and slams his mind shut to the answer, by telling himself hastily that the fear he had felt in his worst, most shameful moments was right and that values have no chance in this world.

An irrational society is a society of moral cowards—of men paralyzed by the loss of moral standards, principles and goals. But since men have to act, so long as they live, such a society is ready to be taken over by anyone willing to set its direction. The initiative can come from only two types of men: either from the man who is willing to assume the responsibility of asserting rational values—or from the thug who is not troubled by questions of responsibility.

No matter how hard the struggle, there is only one choice that a rational man can make in the face of such an alternative."

The second scenario should only be ridiculous to you under the assumption that there is no afterlife, which isn't explicitly stated in your thought experiment. That seems to be your opinion, so it was probably an unstated assumption, but I felt it was worth pointing out just in case.

Yeah, that thought experiment was to make more explicitly a point that I was making earlier in a context where I'd established that I don't believe in an afterlife.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with stoicism, but my impression is that your perspective on life and death is the result failure of imagination. That's not to say I believe you're unable to imagine some of the worst situations one could find themselves in, but it isn't clear to me that you're imagining yourself in them in any real sense.

Give me a "for instance" that you think would force me to contradict what I've already said. With the example of The Grey, I explained that it makes sense to accept death. What's the alternative? It's simply logical. But what would a "for instance" be where I'd rather be dead than alive? To bring back an earlier example: If I were Spartacus, or with Spartacus, I would never even entertain the idea of suicide. Maybe I'll break out, or maybe someone else will break out and I'll break out with him, or maybe I'll be an awesome gladiator and fight my way to freedom. There are a million different alternatives any of which is better than suicide.

How about Conan? Fuck it, I'd push that fucking wheel. Maybe I wouldn't turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger, maybe I'd die from exhaustion/dehydration while pushing - then I'd push it to my last step, my last breath, because that last step and that last breath is life and that's what I'll always push for.

Hell, even in those cliche action movies scenes where the bad guy tells the hero that he's going to cause him so much pain that he's going to beg to be killed, I always think to myself, "Who the fuck would do that? Why wouldn't you at least go down fighting, i.e. go down trying to preserve your life?"

If it really is a failure of imagination, then help my imagination along and give me some "for instances" to consider.

Assuming death is nothingness, it is an inherently neutral experience, and, as such, the conclusion that life is better than death implies that life is an inherently positive experience.

Yes. Something is better than nothing. Who disagrees with that?

I would like you to explain to me how reaching a point in life where you lose the ability to do or experience anything you enjoy, are in multiple forms of constant pain-discomfort and are losing what you consider to be "yourself" piece by piece is positive.

You'll have to be more specific. Are we talking about someone in a persistent vegetative state, someone who's deteriorating and for whom there's no possibility of survival, someone for whom brain activity is limited to mere sensation of physical pain? In this case, this person has dropped below the level of humanity (hence the term "vegetable") and if it's not medically possible to bring that person back to humanity then that person is for all intents and purposes dead. Of course, if I'm that person, I'd hope that my family would exhaust every possibility before pulling the plug, but if there's nothing to be done, then isn't this essentially the same as the example of The Grey? There's nothing to fight against, there's no fight to be won, so there's no logic in fighting.

But if we're talking about a quadriplegic, or a cancer patient doing chemo, or Ronnie Coleman from his Netflix doc, or any shit like that, that's still life and I'll take it.

I have not been arguing that Confucianism does not have anything to offer regarding personal virtue or moral conduct, only that the Confucian ethics are thoroughly collectivist.

So we're each in agreement about what the other is saying?

giphy.gif

Great discussion.

giphy.gif

Is there really a difference between good and bad philosophy as suggested?

Yes. Because there's a difference between good and bad. That means that there's a difference between good and bad food, good and bad movies, good and bad music, good and bad sex, and good and bad philosophy. How could it be otherwise?

After all philosophy is simply asking questions that many never be answered.

The fact that all of humanity may never agree unanimously on which philosophy/ies are better than (an)other philosophy/ies doesn't mean that some philosophies aren't better than some other philosophies. It just means that there's going to be disagreements and that people will be required to use logic and clear argumentation to explain what's good/right and what's wrong/bad and why. No?

Science is philosophy

No, science is science. That's why it's called science ;)

What then is truth?

I know that I'm going out of order, but this part from one of your recent posts is the main theme of your posts, so I'll start with this and respond by saying: Truth isn't what you think it is, that's for sure.

Space and time are not real. Our theories are not real.

The only way that they're "not real" is if you have a seriously bizarre definition of "real."

A tree falling in the woods without humans does not make a sound because our abstract theories wouldn't exist to explain it.

I don't think that you realize that the way that you've formulated this nonsense proves that it's nonsense. Whether or not we're here to construct theories to explain "it" - whatever "it" is from example to example, whether a tree falling down in this example or the phenomenon of causality in your previous example - the very fact that you're speaking of an "it" to be explained presupposes the (real, truthful) existence of said "it."

As William James said

This is a fallacious conception of truth that Noël Carroll refuted under the heading of "the final word conception of truth." From his book On Criticism:

"Now we are playing with a very special and, I suspect, extravagant and ultimately untrustworthy notion of truth. Call it 'the final word conception of truth' - whereby a proposition about some state of affairs x is true if and only if that proposition exhausts x to such an extent that there is nothing left to be said about x, once we have delivered the 'final word.' But the 'final word conception of truth' is simply a nonstarter. At the very least, it is utopian. For, there is no inquiry in which some observation necessarily counts as the last word, precluding any further comment. This is indubitably true of description. There is no landscape that can be exhaustively described. There is always the view from Alpha Centauri or from an indefinitely large number of elsewheres that are ever game. The only reason that [the 'final word conception of truth] gains any credibility is probably on the basis of a phony conception of truth."

We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from

Once again, your language is betraying you. Or would you maintain that "the urge for truth" isn't real, isn't a true description of a human urge, etc.?

Mathematical truths are analytical: true by definition or necessity. There's no conceivable world where they aren't true.

We don't create such truths by describing them; we merely discover them.

You may think we discover them but i would lean toward we create them. A world where they aren't true is a world never populated by humans to create such things and call them true. I can conceive that.

"Metaphysical world.-- It is true, there could be a metaphysical world; the absolute possibility of it is hardly to be disputed. We behold all things through the human head and cannot cut off this head; while the question nonetheless remains what of the world would still be there if one had cut it off."

@Bullitt68

WIlliam James would agree. He is a pluralist. Everything is externally related. He rejects monism. Something always escapes.

Without losing its identity a thing can either take up or drop another thing, like the log I spoke of, which by taking up new carriers and dropping old ones can travel anywhere with a light escort.

For monism, on the contrary, everything, whether we realize it or not, drags the whole universe along with itself and drops nothing. The log starts and arrives with all its carriers supporting it. If a thing were once disconnected, it could never be connected again, according to monism. The pragmatic difference between the two systems is thus a definite one. It is just thus, that if a is once out of sight of b or out of touch with it, or, more briefly, ‘out’ of it at all, then, according to monism, it must always remain so, they can never get together; whereas pluralism admits that on another occasion they may work together, or in some way be connected again. Monism allows for no such things as ‘other occasions’ in reality — in real or absolute reality, that is.

The difference I try to describe amounts, you see, to nothing more than the difference between what I formerly called the each-form and the all-form of reality. Pluralism lets things really exist in the each-form or distributively. Monism thinks that the all-form or collective-unit form is the only form that is rational. The all-form allows of no taking up and dropping of connexions, for in the all the parts are essentially and eternally co-implicated. In the each-form, on the contrary, a thing may be connected by intermediary things, with a thing with which it has no immediate or essential connexion. It is thus at all times in many possible connexions which are not necessarily actualized at the moment. They depend on which actual path of intermediation it may functionally strike into: the word ‘or’ names a genuine reality. Thus, as I speak here, I may look ahead or to the right or to the left, and in either case the intervening space and air and ether enable me to see the faces of a different portion of this audience. My being here is independent of any one set of these faces.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/james/william/plural/chapter8.html

Pragmatically interpreted, pluralism or the doctrine that it is many means only that the sundry parts of reality may be externally related. Everything you can think of, however vast or inclusive, has on the pluralistic view a genuinely ‘external’ environment of some sort or amount. Things are ‘with’ one another in many ways, but nothing includes everything, or dominates over everything. The word ‘and’ trails along after every sentence. Something always escapes. ‘Ever not quite’ has to be said of the best attempts made anywhere in the universe at attaining all-inclusiveness. The pluralistic world is thus more like a federal republic than like an empire or a kingdom. However much may be collected, however much may report itself as present at any effective centre of consciousness or action, something else is self-governed and absent and unreduced to unity.

Back