Is there such a thing as Canadian cuisine?

Cod Tongue

x.jpg

I have some of those packs they sell now in my fridge. I’m positive it’s nowhere as good as at the actual restaurant but for something I microwaved.....it’s not bad. Last time I had it with bread that I buttered and fried for a couple minutes.

No, it's not.

You MICROWAVED it?

Man, that's blasphemy.

And you buttered the bread?

Jesus wept.

Steamed on rye with brown mustard. Done. Microwaving does terrible, terrible things to the meat.

Fiddleheads. Damned delicious.

p1000225.jpg

No, it's not.

You MICROWAVED it?

Man, that's blasphemy.

And you buttered the bread?

Jesus wept.

Steamed on rye with brown mustard. Done. Microwaving does terrible, terrible things to the meat.

That’s what you do with these packs. It’s the way they are designed. It’s precooked, you’re just heating it up. But of course I used brown mustard.

Authentic Canadian fare traditionally incorporates an inconsequential yet bothersome existence sprinkled with general malaise and perpetual inferiority

Authentic Canadian fare is the best comfort food in the world.

That’s what you do with these packs. It’s the way they are designed. It’s precooked, you’re just heating it up. But of course I used brown mustard.

Boil them.

Don't they come with instructions?

I won't even put leftover smoked meat in the microwave to warm it, oven only. I buy brisket slicked by the pound and throw that stuff into everything, especially omelets.

Boil them.

I won't even put leftover smoked meat in the microwave to warm it, oven only. I buy brisket slicked by the pound and throw that stuff into everything, especially omelets.

I could try boiling. I don’t think it would make a huge difference, but I’ll give it a go.

I could try boiling. I don’t think it would make a huge difference, but I’ll give it a go.

For years (decades) we used to buy Lester's smoked meat packets and boil them.

Since I moved to the city I'm so close to Schwartz's that I would never think of getting anything else.

There is no limit to the number of these things I can eat, especially when pecans come to the party.

I’m not a fan personally, but my mother absolutely loved them. She didn’t grow up with them though as she was American.

Boil them.

I just put ribs that I smoked yesterday in the microwave to eat them today and they were just as good. Still juicy as fuck.
<{danawhoah}>
Even dipped them in some Alabama white sauce to try something different, the rub I used was sweet so it was a nice pairing.

Back