The Hot Ones Thread *LW #1 Contender Dustin Poirier appears on the show!*

What kind of music, provides ample room for expressive, diverse solos that can be in more interesting time signatures?
Jazz. Jazz. But I grew up playing soprano sax.

Frank Zappa comes close to being the best overall player on my list.
He could play very soulfully when the backing music was right for it.

But he loved exotic beats and polyrhythms, loved playing outside.

Blues is good music, but limited in the same way country is, which I love. Simple solos without too much flash are perfect. Willie Nelson is underrated, he plays this really interesting way where he gathers everything on the back side of the solo, winding up to a rushed sounding finish that works.

Mayer was a blues guy before he was a pop guy. He did pop so he could do blues.

I don't know if the people in this thread that say he's "meh" on guitar actually play guitar, because I do. And the dude is up there among the best living guitarists without doubt.

Ive played in the past but gave it up. Still dont see the big whoop his tone is really thin and uninteresting and his soloa are cliche IMO.

tenor.gif

Sports keep stats and scores that's not a fair comparison.

I've never heard you play but I've seen all your guitars. I'm sure both artists you mentioned cant do things the other can. Especially Tony because he dead

I partially agree. But, didn't Keith Richards or maybe Clapton, I forget, say something to the effect "I better quit playing guitar." the first time they heard Jimi? They clearly knew he was better than just about everyone.

More Hot Ones love. Props to Bill for being the only person I've seen so far who eats every wing whole. I think Blake Griffin might have also done that. He definitely wasn't nibbling.

Two more with guests that the Dog loves:

Goldblum is a scat machine:

Check out the Gary V episode, he ate everything that wasn’t actual bone.

What really opened my eyes on Mayer was his work with Dead and Company. Not only do you need to be talented, but you have to have the ability to improvise and go with the flow in real time. He's the perfect fit.

Has he worked with Jack White yet? That’s the test imo..

Less boring music talk, more Hot Ones.

I love old man Henry Rollins.

that Clark Beckam and Abbey Smith cover of Gravity tho....

good lawd

Maybe Bullitt was right to place this in Abbey Road. Mayer's guitar virtuosity under the microscope.
Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Guitarists (2015) [p2: #50-#1]
Guitar World’s Readers' Poll: 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time (2012)
The Top 100 Guitarists (as voted for by Total Guitar readers)

I'll do the forum the courtesy of not posting Spin's list because it's maybe the worst ranking list I've ever seen in my life for anything.

AND a recently single PRIME Jessica Simpson
View attachment 482851

This guy certainly has played in a lot of Wonderlands.

Mayer vs. Fez for GOAT.

What really opened my eyes on Mayer was his work with Dead and Company. Not only do you need to be talented, but you have to have the ability to improvise and go with the flow in real time. He's the perfect fit.

I can second that. I've seen dead and company a few times. The thing Meyer has done that I really appreciate is bring in a whole different type of person into the world of the Dead and I think that is pretty neat.

I have felt some of that old magic come through in Dead and Co shows BUT Meyer is often too verbose in his phrasing, long winded and I cannot even look at him while he is playing without being embarrassed for him and his ego.

All in all it is a really good thing that Dead and Co is going but I hope they replace Meyer with someone a little deeper and subtle in the playing department.

Not only a great guitarist, he's the pinnacle of one of my favorite obscure memes.

XPJAIUi.jpg

John Mayer has a horse cock according to those celebrity gossip magazines.

The best hot ones are the episodes with Chili Klaus. That’s a great bromance.

Continuum was his best album by far imo. Wish he would go back to that sort of music.

Well Mayer is a miserable twat with a head the size of a giant pumpkin so his opinion is void.

Less boring music talk, more Hot Ones.

I love old man Henry Rollins.

This interview reminded me I don't know nearly enough The Stooges. He also piqued my interest in The Fiery Trial. I'll have to read that. That's one I've never seen come up when I've looked at recommended books about Lincoln.

I also love his idea to take the wing with the Last Dab that Sean dabbed for himself. You could tell Henry is sensitive to hot foods, maybe that was in his head a bit, but the way he stuck to it, like nothing, that was really impressive. Henry Rollins is no bitch. Spicy foods aren't high on the ladder of physical adversities he has endured. Legendary pain tolerance.
The best hot ones are the episodes with Chili Klaus. That’s a great bromance.
Which is your favorite?

Back