Best brazilian jujitsu artist in MMA history?

Jeremy “Gumby” Horn

Or Travis “I can’t make weight “ Lutter, the Micheal Jordan of bjj

<Goldie11>

ha beat me to it.

He has a legit case.

He is my favorite fighter ever, but no he doesn't.

HIs MMA-adapted submission game was elite for sure. And he had an insane grip, if he got ahold of something you were screwed. But his overall bjj is leagues below some of the guys mentioned. Again, I am talking about literally my favorite fighter in MMA history, and I've been a fan since the late 90's.

Frank Mir on training with Demian Maia: "If he (Maia) wanted to have sex with me, I don't think I could stop him." Enough said.

Jacare, Roger, Maia and Lovato Jr. Maia has fought for a UFC title so maybe he’s the most successful?

He is my favorite fighter ever, but no he doesn't.

HIs MMA-adapted submission game was elite for sure. And he had an insane grip, if he got ahold of something you were screwed. But his overall bjj is leagues below some of the guys mentioned. Again, I am talking about literally my favorite fighter in MMA history, and I've been a fan since the late 90's.

Frank Mir on training with Demian Maia: "If he (Maia) wanted to have sex with me, I don't think I could stop him." Enough said.

He's being magnanimous. He'd smash Maia. Even if Maia would potentially win an ADCC match.

IMO he has the most impressive submissions ever. Maia is right there too.

Roger, and it’s not even close.

Roger Gracie is the BJJ GOAT, at least in absolute/open weight/heavyweight terms.

In answer to who has utilised it the best in MMA?
I would say Werdum. He submitted 3 of the best ever, Fedor, Cain, Nogueira...as well as Overeem and many more

He's being magnanimous. He'd smash Maia. Even if Maia would potentially win an ADCC match.

IMO he has the most impressive submissions ever. Maia is right there too.

He may have been being a bit magnanimous, but there was some truth to what he was saying too. He basically said Maia took his lunch money every day when they would roll.

Yeah, in an MMA fight with Mir being 80 lbs heavier and hitting like a truck, Maia would likely get blasted unconscious. But think about the fact that you have a decorated submission HW like Mir who is literally getting tooled day in and day out on the mat by a guy almost ONE HUNDRED pounds lighter.

You don't have to convince me about Mir's subs. I watched him rock Roberto Traven (a very decorated grappler) and snatch his arm for the sub win live. That was Mir's first UFC fight, and I've seen every fight of his live since. Like I said, my favorite MMA fighter ever. If you want to say he's among the best MMA submission fighters ever, then yes, absolutely. But if you are just talking about bjj, no way. Positionally he just isn't at the level of these other guys we are talking about. It has cost him too. Shit, watch his fight vs Ian Freeman. Mir is fishing for subs without setting them up at all. Granted, Freeman used an illegal kick to free himself from a leglock, but that aside Mir made a ton of positional mistakes in that fight.

Maybe Frank Mir.

Took home the arms of 2 UFC defending champs and the leg of a future champ....using ONLY BJJ (no setup punches, etc). Also tapped Tank and Pete Williams off his back. Chokes out Kongi too, albeit after rocking him.

I know it's be blasphemy to suggest an Ameeican, but he deserves mention.

Guys like Maia and Jacare face better competition Mir.
Nog more successful (Rings/Pride/UFC)

Too old school. Most of his success came against against guys with shitty bjj. Great for his time but today’s bjj players are better.

Nog more successful (Rings/Pride/UFC)

One thing holding Nog back in this discussion is that he snatched defeat from jaws of victory BECAUSE he wanted to show off his BJJ (Mir 2).

He's also a way better boxer than most, if not all else mentioned.

Everyone will say Jacare, Maia or Werdum, but for me its
20150530100907_IMG_6012.JPG

also has the most submissions in UFC history
Competed at a lower level

And lost (and its arguable who faced better).

Mir has 3 UFC Champs (not FORMER, but 2 defending and one future) on his sub list...all with zero striking setups.

Based on the mount of sub wins and the amount of different sub types used, Alexey Oleynik

They said at ATT that he has forgotten submission holds that the best BJJ guys are only just learning

I don't think he has a BJJ lineage though?? IIRC

Too old school. Most of his success came against against guys with shitty bjj. Great for his time but today’s bjj players are better.
Puh-lease...

Ya dont armbar one fourth of RTT like that, and ya dont school Volk Han jus´like that (of course RTT would claim that Volk was injured...hard to assess).

Of course, he was then schooled by ol´Vet Kopylov... Shit happens.

Watch the fights.

One thing holding Nog back in this discussion is that he snatched defeat from jaws of victory BECAUSE he wanted to show off his BJJ (Mir 2).

He's also a way better boxer than most, if not all else mentioned.
yeah, but his run in Rings and Pride is enough to steal the show here.

Back