Shutter Island: I'm Going to Blow Your Mind(And possibly ruin the movie for you)

grizzard2bid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First off, great movie. Love the suspense, mystery aspect and well executed and cast.
So, everyone is pretty much in agreement that he is in fact Andrew Laeddis, a patient in there who shot his wife after she drowned their kids. In his memory relapse it shows him doing it almost accidentally while being in absolute misery. He blamed himself for not getting his wife help for murder of children.

Very few watchers would back the idea that he was in fact a US Marshal Teddy Daniels who got conned by "Nazis" to thinking he's a patient in there so he doesn't reveal their unsavory experiments.

I have a far more sinister understanding of this movie. Obviously, Andrew Laeddis had a wartime trauma- a PTSD of sorts. He witnessed concentration camps, murder of children, death everywhere. His wife, a small delicate woman had mental condition as well. Nothing controversial so far. Except after I watched this scene, it did not sit right with me:

"Which is worse? To live as a monster, or die as a good man"
I thought about it and thought a little more. The amount of guilt he has over it seems too exponential to his part in this tragedy. But then I started putting together how the petite delicate wife was able to drown all three kids who looked to be 6-7 years of age. Wouldn't one of them hide or at least put up a fight- she didn't have as much as a scratch mark on her! Wouldn't other siblings try and help if one of them was screaming- plus I'm sure they knew mommy wasn't always "right". I could potentially see her being able to drown toddlers of 3-4 year olds, but to drown three children that age and not sustain any kind of slightest injury is just mind boggling. Coupled that with the fact that she was not a big woman it would be at very least challenging for her to do that.

Which brings me to the bombshell. He drowned his kids and shot his wife. This man has been making up crazy fantasies the whole entire movie. He was constantly hallucinating and created whole 2nd persona of US Marshal, and would regress into it to hide from reality. Well, reality was far worse than authorities could prove or knew. In his final "realization scene" where he remembers that she drowned them, this was yet one more of his mental illusions to hide his pain and suffering. It was just another onion layer to his act.

Because of the reenactment he finally recalls what he did, and doesn't want to live anymore. Most people would agree that shooting his crazy ass wife after she drowned the kids almost in an accident is not really an "act of a monster". Would be harsh to call someone a monster after he pulled them out of the water and was sitting there devastated when crazy gal walked up to him and started saying all kinds of crazy shit to make things even worse. It's almost understandable. That act would not make him a monster. But having a mental breakdown and drowning his children and then shooting his wife would absolutely make him a monster. He knew it and wanted to die or be lobotomized so he cannot remember the horror of what he did.

I think I'm going to watch a movie again and see if my theory has any holes in it, because I really think it's pretty goddamn bulletproof and would explain a lot of these details that I just layed out.

If I blew your mind, give me thumbs up. :p

It was a nazi simulation

They were dreaming the whole time.

Interesting theory. But guys who usually end their children use guns, not water. But you're on to Truth and Lies...

In the book he’s an ice cream salesman who’s there voluntarily doing market research. Just puts on his hat and goes home, then there’s coupons for good humor bars.

The live a monster or die as a good man quote could be him referring to his wife. He wants to believe that she didnt kill his kids and wanted to see her as the good person. Also lying to himself about killing his wife. Even though I dont think that makes him a monster. A bad guy, maybe, but that's his kids. And he was saying it in a way like someone would ask for a "friend" because hes trying to deceive himself as well as everyone else.

Just another theory.

I forgot to mention, ts. You went way too far in the thinking about killing kids part of the theory. Just saying, might want that checked out.

He believes he's a monster because he knew his wife was crazy but he chose to bury his head in the sand, thinking "she's not that bad, I'm sure she'll get better" to the point where he actually left her alone with the kids.

So she's not responsible because she doesn't know any better. He's the one who's responsible because he knew she wasn't right in the head and he ignored it and it cost his children their lives.

That's why he feels so guilty.

And yes a woman that size can drown kids that age. Crazy people are strong. Plus she could've drugged them first. Being crazy, I'm sure she had a ton of pills in the house.

He believes he's a monster because he knew his wife was crazy but he chose to bury his head in the sand, thinking "she's not that bad, I'm sure she'll get better" to the point where he actually left her alone with the kids.

So she's not responsible because she doesn't know any better. He's the one who's responsible because he knew she wasn't right in the head and he ignored it and it cost his children their lives.

That's why he feels so guilty.

And yes a woman that size can drown kids that age. Crazy people are strong. Plus she could've drugged them first. Being crazy, I'm sure she had a ton of pills in the house.
Pretty much this. OP over analyzed the shit out of the plot

In the book it is still questionable which narrative is the truth, and that's why that line exists.

Scorcese intentionally added the final line (that wasnt in the novel) to make it.possible he was actually a US Marshall.

The live a monster or die as a good man quote could be him referring to his wife. He wants to believe that she didnt kill his kids and wanted to see her as the good person. Also lying to himself about killing his wife. Even though I dont think that makes him a monster. A bad guy, maybe, but that's his kids. And he was saying it in a way like someone would ask for a "friend" because hes trying to deceive himself as well as everyone else.

Just another theory.

I forgot to mention, ts. You went way too far in the thinking about killing kids part of the theory. Just saying, might want that checked out.

Way to stink it up with personal insult.
This has been in the news last 6 months, you goof.

Back